• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NVIDIA Issues vs AMD Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wingman99

I think nvidia has problems also because in BF3 the roads are yellow now and AMD is having no problem with that.

And nvidia has not done a driver update to fix the problem and it's been 4 months since they new about the yellow roads in BF3.

So you cant say that Nvidia is better than AMD.
Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
Ever been drinking late at night while playing BF3?

I wish the roads had a yellow outline for me, I might be able to keep it on the road...

wingman99,

Why are you calling someone out specifically? I'm sure you know all that will do is cause conflict and turn the thread into a steaming pile...

Why not make a generic "NVIDIA Issues vs AMD Issues" type thread where people can post their bad experiences from both camps? Since both teams have their pros and cons...

That way it doesn't provoke people, and I'm sure Culbrelai and others will post their AMD problems while you and others will post NVIDIA problems.

That way it doesn't provoke people, and I'm sure Culbrelai and others will post their AMD problems while you and others will post NVIDIA problems.

Luckily I don't have any AMD problems, because I don't have an AMD card anymore rofl, I've been problem free ever since. So nope he can bash all he likes. TBH arguing back and forth is boring.

BTW, I never said AMD was 'worse' and that nVidia was better.

I just believe that AMD is for budget builds, same with their processors. Lower quality = lower price. You cant seriously expect that you're getting the same or better tech for that much less money?

I got 99 Problems but a Radeon aint one!

Last edited:
I'm new on the red team and I was a bit scared. A month ago there were many issues that made me hate the cards but with the latest beta drivers I can't complain a lot. The only issue I'm having is that with chivalry and cod black ops 2, some times there are graphics that blink. Not sure if that the best way or words to describe it but I hope you get the idea. For instance a sign or a shield, they look like blinking constantly at a very fast speed.

Fps or stuttering wise I have no issues at all playing all games at the highest resolution at 2560 x 1440p

If someone knows how to fix the blinking issue please share the solution!

Yellow roads were taken care of I thought? I haven't had that issue...ever (680 and 690 through several drivers).

That said both camps have issues in some games with something at some point. Not everyone runs in to the issues. Some may be accidently oblivious.. others turn away by choice defending... Lol I don't know what they are defending.

One point I have heard of that was quite tickling, was that amd cards are less expensive and therefore 'cheap' or of lower quality. What's funny is that amd cards started out just as expensive if not more than its nvidia counterparts. There were two massive price drops in there since release. That said, you can't compare like that in the first place either as architectures are different to name one thing that merely breaches that angle.

What's funny is that amd cards started out just as expensive if not more than its nvidia counterparts. There were two massive price drops in there since release. That said, you can't compare like that in the first place either as architectures are different to name one thing that merely breaches that angle.

Well, I'm not a mind reader, perhaps AMD knows it cannot compete against nVidia's pull, so they had to make their cards cheaper? I doubt they would sell anything at a loss in their position. So in essence... you were overpaying if you bought them when they were the similar prices.

Amd lowered their prices partially due to match the performance at that time. Prior to October and the 12.11 drivers, the 680 walked the 7970 through most benchmarks at the same price or higher than the 680. Simple business there.

As far as cost per unit, who knows really. I doubt even at this price amd is losing money. But inexpensive does not mean low quality. It can mean more efficient business practices on that end, perhaps bbetter yields on the manufacturing side ad well. Point remains their cards are NOT low quality because they cost less.

Issues I've had with each brand over the years:

ATI/AMD:
Linux support was blegh. Failing linux driver installation recoverable from.
CCC layout is pretty bad.
Limits on OCing (having to unlock Unofficial Overclocking for MSI AB) are annoying, but bypassable.
Old-old (9.4ish) drivers impossible to completely remove.

Nvidia:
Caught the drivers consuming >1GB of RAM, I was impressed.
Linux support is decent, but if it borks bye bye install.
GTX580 has issues with BF3 and Skyrim (different issues). No patches available.
Hard locked OCing / voltage is horrible.
Reference power sections and coolers barely adequate on much of the 6xx series.
Lies to my face in press releases (wood screws, anybody?).
Nvidia control panel layout could be better.
Drivers randomly install in red/blue "3D" mode.
Drivers =>3.10 hard-cap core frequency for pre-600 series cards.

Neither company is perfect, AMD has been significantly less annoying for me.

As far as cost per unit, who knows really. I doubt even at this price amd is losing money. But inexpensive does not mean low quality. It can mean more efficient business practices on that end, perhaps bbetter yields on the manufacturing side ad well. Point remains their cards are NOT low quality because they cost less.

Well, I beg to differ, I thought a rule that basically applied to everything else I've had the -pleasure- of buying in life (as per my particleboard Value City desk creaking and straining under the weight of ~100lbs+ of equipment on top of it...) applied to graphics cards too, Guess I was wrong.

I guess I'll copy BobNova.

Issues with each brand

AMD (Formerly ATI)

Stuttering on games, not the games fault, tested with both AMD/nVidia card.
CCC horrible, hard to use...

nVidia

None to report, really.

Of course, I've only had ~4 graphics cards in my early yet short experience with computers so far. a 9500 GTX (or some other such 9000 line, I don't remember) which was flawless

an ATI 5770, which was horrible

a GTX 580m courtesty of my MSI laptop, flawless, if a little hot

and my current GTX 670, flawless, again, cooler than GTX 580m (to be expected)

So you can think me crazy for not wasting more money on a company I've had a bad experience with, and instead spending it with a reputable one that I've never had problems with over multiple generations. But you won't be buying me a new GFX card, will you?

i've owned a system with crossfire 5870's and a single 6870.
i replaced my single 6870 with a 660ti.

Personaly, on the "game" i play the most, it likes nvidia more. that is the main reason for me switching to nvidia, not because i was unhappy with the 6870 over all.

the game i play the most has a 512mb vram usage cap. yet both ati cards would use more than that.
The nvidia card uses less than that normally.
often got texture flickering.
crossfire caused me nothing but issues, and 90% of the time i had it disabled (especially for skyrim)

the only issues withnvidia so far:
when overclocking i don't like how the clocks are set as "reference"
so if stock clocks are 900mhz and i want to run 950 mhz, in the overclocking utility i have to set it to +50 mhz instead of to 950 mhz. same with voltage.
just makes it more difficult in my opinion.
the stock fan table was WAY too high for my comfort. when in gaming i reach 85* on my gpu, i'm not happy about that.
with a modified fan table, i rarely get above 75* now.

Lol.. you miss the point completely on why people get frustrated with your opinion. Its how you state it.

Nvidia isnt better... Its better for YOU. Your experience isn't others. Its not mine. Both camps have been great. Do I blame you for buying nvidia.. no. Does anyone? No. Its the way you say ****, in blanket statements and insults that is false and ruffles people's feathers.

I'd like to not make this personal but mods got involved in another thread neacuse of that. Someone started another spinoff because of that and to refute you and your 'points'. We are trying to help out and show you a bigger picture than you may be seeing.

I feel ya.. I do.. but just qualify your statements properly.. look at neon above. She doesn't throw barbs in or make blanket statements and that is well received.

Issues I've had with my cards:

AMD
-HD 6850 was picky about drivers and refused to work with anything above Catalyst 12.1
-HD 6850 didn't like being overclocked at all in certain games,
-HD 6850 died a sudden and uninspiring death during The Sims 3
-HD 7850 DVI display cuts off after POST and doesn't come back until about halfway through the Loading Windows screen, or several seconds after I enter BIOS, boot menu, etc.
-HD 7850 seems to perform worse than previous 6850 in GTA IV

Other than those two minor issues, the 7850 has been pretty good. :)

NVIDIA

Ummmm... Fan bearing died on my 9500GT? Not really Nvidia's fault, but it's the only problem I've ever had on the one and only Nvidia card I've ever owned.

In fact, that little card still impresses me to this day what it could play with decent framerates. :D

Yet, for some reason, I lean more towards AMD when buying GPU's. :rofl: Although I don't have anything against Nvidia and will always consider it an option when buying cards in the future if the price/performance is right.

Nvidia isnt better... Its better for YOU. Your experience isn't others. Its not mine. Both camps have been great. Do I blame you for buying nvidia.. no. Does anyone? No. Its the way you say ****, in blanket statements and insults that is false and ruffles people's feathers.

I'm sorry if people believe what I'm saying is the truth? Opinion is, by nature, neither truth nor false. I believe that AMD is lower quality than nVidia. Any other facts, etc other than that statement is the truth of what I experienced. It is the truth that the 5770 microlagged in several of my games.

Once again, I'm sorry if anyone feels... insulted? Although I don't quite know what I've said, you've got me apologizing again. I'm sarcastic 90% of the time... I admit it is hard to catch that on the interwebz.

I'd like to not make this personal but mods got involved in another thread neacuse of that. Someone started another spinoff because of that and to refute you and your 'points'. We are trying to help out and show you a bigger picture than you may be seeing.

Just because I have a distaste for AMD I have tunnel vision? Lol.

I feel ya.. I do.. but just qualify your statements properly.. look at neon above. She doesn't throw barbs in or make blanket statements and that is well received.

So you want me to be cookie cutter? Uh huh, and that would make this forum interesting -_-

Honestly I don't care if anything I say is 'well recieved'. It's opinion, opinion, opinion. Believe it or not, take it with a grain of salt, agree with me, idc.

Last edited:
Nvdia - green

AMD - red

I like blue personally....

Really though, havent used an AMD card in a while so I'll post my recent nvidia problems with my current 660:

- random driver crashes (314.14 beta)
- SC2 HotS o get artifacting in heavy fights
- supposed fix for better frames in tomb raider has done nothing for me (play on high settings anything higher than that causes a sudden frame drop mid game from 60+ down to 20s)

It's not your opinion, it's not your beliefs, it's how you state them.

Method one, stating an opinion:
"I didn't like the one(1) ATI card I had, I prefer Nvidia".
"I feel like ATI is lower quality"

That is a perfectly acceptable. It's a statement of opinion, which is all you have. Everybody has opinions, everybody is free to state them as an opinion.

Method two, stating a fact:

"ATI cards have lots of problems".
"ATI cards are low quality compared to nvidia"

This is not acceptable, you do not know that all ATI/AMD cards have problems. You had one (1) card that microstuttered (on that note, I've had far, far, far, far more cards from both camps than you've had cards at all, mayhap you should listen to the greater experience?). You have no bloody clue what the quality of the ASIC is, not unless you've sliced open a few thousand and attacked with one hell of a microscope.
With the exception of the previous post, you almost entirely use method two, which is incorrect.
For bonus points you tend towards insults and demeaning anybody who disagrees with your (opinion passed off as) "facts". Sarcasm does not transfer well in text, I feel like the vast majority of people know that. You now know that too, beyond this post it is no longer an excuse for rudeness or attacks.

You are welcome to your opinion. You are welcome to state your opinion. You are not welcome to state your opinion as fact. You are not welcome to attack people. You are not welcome to insult people. Using the excuse of "it was sarcasm, it's not my fault you can't read it" will not function, either.

In short, I strongly recommend dredging up some politeness if you want anybody to take you seriously.
If you prefer to just get into repetitive groundhog day style arguments with those of us who enjoy arguing with people who can't tell (or don't care about) the difference between fact and opinion, and don't actually want to convince anybody that you are in fact correct along with "sarcastic", then by all means keep doing what you're doing.

Before anybody accuses me of being an "AMD FANBOY OMGOMGOMGOMG!!!"!"!", go look at what I had to say to Frakk when he was doing the exact same routine pro AMD.

I, for reasons I cannot really fathom, seem to feel that it is worthwhile arguing the same damn points over and over and over again with each iteration of people who can't tell fact from opinion.
I, for reasons I cannot really fathom, seem to feel that it is worthwhile arguing the same damn points over and over and over again with each iteration of people who believe in their deepest heart that because they bought X everybody should buy X and X is far better than Y and Z (See: BD, PD, Sabertooth anything, Nvidia, AMD, LGA2011).
I, for reasons I cannot really fathom, seem to feel that it is worthwhile arguing the same damn points over and over and over again with each iteration of people who prefer the party line to reality.
I, for reasons I cannot really fathom, seem to feel that it is worthwhile arguing the same damn points over and over and over again with each iteration of people who have some technical knowledge and believe that it is in fact all the technical knowledge and that they should be worshipped.

Why? I really don't know. I kind of wish I didn't as it consumes monumental amounts of time, there are far more people who fit the above categories than there are who will actively fight back against junk from people who fit the above categories.
I would be quite happy to get paid to do it, that would be fantastic, as it is I'm essentially an anti-shill. It's not an especially rewarding occupation, it gets my insulted, yelled at, harassed, occasionally thanked, often hated, and certainly not paid. So it goes, I guess.

In the mean time, know that a single experience with a single anything is a horrendously small sample size and a laughable thing to base anything even vaguely construed as a fact off of. Unless of course you're being paid by the DEA to "prove" something is harmful, that's about the one place where a sample size of one (1) is considered plenty.
Out here in the real world, it's laughably small.

Method one, stating an opinion:
"I didn't like the one(1) ATI card I had, I prefer Nvidia".
"I feel like ATI is lower quality"

I'm sorry but I feel like that's the way I've been expressing it. -_-

Method two, stating a fact:

"ATI cards have lots of problems".
"ATI cards are low quality compared to nvidia"

Sorry for not adding "I think" in front, I feel like its implied... :L
and I did just say
I just believe
up there ^

For bonus points you tend towards insults and demeaning anybody who disagrees with your (opinion passed off as) "facts". Sarcasm does not transfer well in text, I feel like the vast majority of people know that. You now know that too, beyond this post it is no longer an excuse for rudeness or attacks.

Lol I'm not changing my personality just for a bunch of pixels, I have more integrity than that. Just to be clear, You'll know when I insult someone. I doubt I would ever need to on here considering everyone is so nice.
Why are you so defensive? I would be the last person to insult someone over a damn graphics card, lul.

You are welcome to your opinion. You are welcome to state your opinion. You are not welcome to state your opinion as fact. You are not welcome to attack people. You are not welcome to insult people. Using the excuse of "it was sarcasm, it's not my fault you can't read it" will not function, either.

See above.

In short, I strongly recommend dredging up some politeness if you want anybody to take you seriously.
If you prefer to just get into repetitive groundhog day style arguments with those of us who enjoy arguing with people who can't tell (or don't care about) the difference between fact and opinion, and don't actually want to convince anybody that you are in fact correct along with "sarcastic", then by all means keep doing what you're doing.

I do like arguing, I really should've been a lawyer. I might have to take option B on that one, lol. Guess you'll be 'arguging the same damn points over and over again' with me too.

Cept I won't change, nor ever give up. Unless I have a problem with nVidia. Then you all can laugh at me and all of the delicious irony that goes along with it...

Last edited:
How about everybody just chills out? That'd be cool.

Pun intended.

Back