• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC n00b needs advice :-)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

THR33IN0N3

Registered
Hey guys, I'm new to PC building and I have recently built a budget gaming pc and would like to request some help with a small overclock. I'm new to this and would need a step by step( I know how to get to my bios ) I don't want to come anywhere near overheating anything. I just want a bump in speed.
I have: Gigeabyte GA-970A-UD3P
AMD FX-8310 w/ Evercool - CPU Cooler - EC-HPR-9225EP
HyperX Fury Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
Gigabyte AMD GV-R795WF3-3GD Radeon HD 7950 3GB GDDR5(Windforce 3) GPU
My current temps at idle are: CPU: 18-25; GPU: 30-35
under load: CPU: 33-37 GPU: 45-51
Thanks guys

Terminology is important for sure. Easy overclock. Put mobo in manual mode and set CPU multiplier to 20 save and exit and should boot at 4.0Ghz. That is a fair overclock of that cpu.

Using HWMonitor Free from Cpuid com you should not let Cpu/Socket temp exceed ~72c and Core/Package temp exceed ~62c when under the heavy load of P95 Blend mode. That is the watershed for testing an FX overclock over the course of 2 hours, with no errors or fails or temps above those stated.

Now if you wish more assistance here is what we need for long range viewing of your rig when we are not in room with your computer.

This is what we need to see for sure and a real good starting point.

Normally during setup and testing we disable C1/E, C6, Cool N Quiet, APM, TurboCore and in windows performance manager itself we set to "performance" mode. ALSO if you have HPC in bios you would ENABLE it. That way there are not "other" settings messing with the overclocking process. Some of those settings are not available on all models of cpu but where in evidence we disable for setup of overclock process.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS / "package" temps fully visible. Latest versions of HWMonitor show the CPU Core Temp as " a Package Temp" and is only shown as a single temp since there were never multple, individual core temp sensors anyway.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open and running on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

RGone...

ok, i will get those programs and get some screen shots to you. Do i need to disable all that stuff before I do the screen shot?

Normally during setup and testing we disable C1/E, C6, Cool N Quiet, APM, TurboCore and in windows performance manager itself we set to "performance" mode. ALSO if you have HPC in bios you would ENABLE it. That way there are not "other" settings messing with the overclocking process. Some of those settings are not available on all models of cpu but where in evidence we disable for setup of overclock process.

No it's at idle. Do I need to do a load test?

Most certainly under load. Nothing else really matters. AMD engineers say the core/package temp is not even accurate until the temp shown reaches about 40c and most of the time that most certainly should not be reached unless under load of something like P95 Blend mode. The idea of post #3 was to get you to put the system under load and get a baseline loaded set of numbers to see just how much actual headroom you had in proceeding forward with overclocking. Idle says zero about that overclocking idea.
RGone...ster.

Most certainly under load. Nothing else really matters. AMD engineers say the core/package temp is not even accurate until the temp shown reaches about 40c and most of the time that most certainly should not be reached unless under load of something like P95 Blend mode. The idea of post #3 was to get you to put the system under load and get a baseline loaded set of numbers to see just how much actual headroom you had in proceeding forward with overclocking. Idle says zero about that overclocking idea.
RGone...ster.
Ok, I apologize. Like I said I'm new to this. I just got to work so I'll do a p95 blend when I get home this afternoon. Also, there was an option in my bios that said core boost (its in the pic above) do I need to turn that off as well? Thanks again for all your help.

Giga says >> GIGABYTE’s Core Boost technology provides an easy way for users unlocking the CPU’s hidden cores >> There are NO hidden cores in any of AMD's AM3+ FX cpus. So no reason to have such setting enabled with a chance of causing some issue that is totally unknown and unexpected.
RGone...ster.

Giga says >> GIGABYTE’s Core Boost technology provides an easy way for users unlocking the CPU’s hidden cores >> There are NO hidden cores in any of AMD's AM3+ FX cpus. So no reason to have such setting enabled with a chance of causing some issue that is totally unknown and unexpected.
RGone...ster.

Ok, I'll disable it and run that blend test. Thanks

dang it! LOL i'll get this I promise. I set it to 17 and am running new test. will post pics in a min.

ok i changed it in the bios but ist still showing. where do i change it in windows 1230141759.jpg

Last edited:
Back