• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oc'ing EVGA X79 132 SLI sucks!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zodicus

Well guys, I just got a shiny new set of Gskill Trident X F3-2400C10Q-32GTX.

Keep in mind I haven't done much overclocking since the Conroe days. Back then I had an E6600 at 4.97 on water. Boy a lot of settings have changed since then.

Well, I have been attempting to get a good oc on my CPU and aiming for the 4.7+ Range. I have a 3820 which I am aware is partially unlocked with a max multi of 43. To get higher I have been messing with the bclk. As far as I can tell everything is set correctly however my crappy EVGA bios isn't even registering a change in bclk - atleast not in system info. Nor is CPU-z. I've been working on this for ways and I just can't do it though I do have my RAM up to 2Ghz. Board can handle a max of 2133.

This leaves me to my final thought in this post. How dafuq is adjusting my bclk overclocking my memory but not affecting cpu frequency at all? Apparently something is working :confused:

Enjoy these maybe yall can figure out what I am doing wrong because i cant :S

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I'm not sure I understand what the problem is. The BCLK is set to 100 in the BIOS, which is translating to the correct bus speed of 100MHz shown in CPU-Z. The gear ratio / BCLK freq. ratio is set to 1.25, which when using a CPU multiplier of x40 = an effective DRAM frequency of DDR3-2000 (CPU multiplier of 40 x DRAM multiplier of 50; 40 x 1.25).

Last edited:
From the screenshots your provided, the bclk is not touching the memory either...I see 800Mhz, 100 bclk, and no strap in use?

You will be extremely hard pressed to get that much ram(32GB) stable at that speed (2400Mhz) on that platform (X79 with SB-E CPU), note.

1.5v is also VERY brave to use 24/7 regardless of cooling.

Like i said last pc i oced was a 775 back in late 08 so a lot has changed. Back then your fsb was actually labeled fsb. All these new fangled labels have me all confused now.

I did find a guide over at kingpincooling that i referred to but it was dealing with k cpus and i just dont have that. So the only way to extend my clock past 4.3 is manipulation of the base clock. On some prelimenary tests in some of my major cpu intensive games i was running 53 degrees on cpu and mid 60s on each core avg roughly 60% load. Not too bad with a 1.48 vcore. I do have a zalman cooler with triple 120's but it will not fit because of the height of my ram ever with the heatsinks off them so i had to drop down to another crappy one i had lying around. That zalman would probably drop me to the high 30's idle. Going water anyway in another month or so.

Its my understanding that manipulating base clock should also change cpu clock as well as memory according to the guide i read. Is that correct? Or is it still tied to bus speed? I dont even have a way to change bus speed on my board.

Ok now that I am on a proper computer and not my iphone I can make a real post.

In bios I was looking for something along the lines of 'bclk' However all I could find was the bclk multiplier and strap. I thought all decent boards actually had a bclk setting? Anyway I do have an option on board for enabling bclk adjustment via Eleet which I currently have set to disabled as I wish to do all my oc'ing in bios and not Windows like some nub though I do feel like a nub on X79.

As for the ram not being very stable at 32gigs. I purchased the ram as the first part in a series of upgrades to 1150. It is actually the first part. I am doing a fully custom Haswell box with a massive 5 rad quad pump cooling loop starting in January. I didn't really but the ram for this build but seeing as my old ram was slowly dying on me I found it worth while to drop it in for the time being.

Still working in bios trying to figure something out. I am determined to figure it out lol.

"BCLK FREQUENCY SETTING" is what you are looking for. It is in your screenshot in fact.

I am dieing to know what you plan on cooling with a 5 rad, quad pump setup and why you are doing that (especially with four pumps).

I am looking for a 5+ ghz clock and triple evga acx sc 780's. Ive got one right now. Going to water cool the north bridge and ram too mostly for looks. I am using 5 rads to try to get my temps as low as possible and see how far i can push it on water. 4 pumps are going to be in series to maximize flow rates.

Going to be a good build. Got a guy lined up for the airbrushing on the 900D already. Doing a build log over in water cooling when i start.

Good luck on a 5 GHz clock. That is more luck than it is cooling.

The Northbridge is in the CPU.

Ram is useless to cool as you know. I wouldn't even put it in my loop for looks personally.

4 pumps is MASSIVE overkill for such a setup. If you research things, you will find that much over 1.5GPM flow rate (which a single pump could handle in most situations) you do not yield much better temperatures. I would be a D4 vario with a top would handle 2 rads, and 4 blocks and still manage 1.5 GPM flow...

I would say for 3 780's and the CPU in the loop, go 8x120 radiators (so 2 4x120mm or any combination of) will be plenty. Again, you are down to the luck of the draw for getting a chip that will do 5Ghz 24/7 regardless of temperatures. You may be sitting at 1.5v to get there which is NOT a 24/7 voltage by any stretch. I assume, with 3 780's. you have a multiple monitor setup? Or are you just blowing your wad because you can? Either way is fine of course...just want to know what we are dealing with, a need, or want. Looking forward to seeing the build!

I currently have 5 monitors 3 on surround at 5760 x1080 and then 2 running off my old 650.

I play a lot of flights sims, 3D rendering and transcoding. I am really looking for tri sli for playing the flights sims on maxed graphics at 4 monitors. I can hold 60 fps now with a mild gpu oc but not maxed setting and i still get stuttering.

Well, you do not have a signature, so no idea of what your current hardware is. You have plenty of posts, even paid the premium here.... why don't you create a signature so we can see what you are working with...

Not sure how you plan on running a Flight Sim with four monitors though... Wouldn't bezels get in the way?

Interesting configuration. I had no idea it could even do that honestly...

...about that signature...

Hehe yes sir. Ill post pics and new sig when i get off work.

Yea i need serious power and cooling to run this setup. Thats why i am trying to get this 3820 oced fairly high to keep pace until i get my haswell rig up and running

Make sure on your haswell board you get one with a PLX chip on it so you have plenty of PCIe lanes for the GPUs. ;)

Depends on the board, but I think most will do quad at 8x with the proper PLX chip.

You are not losing much at all (1%) with 8x PCIe3 anyway. Which now makes me wonder a couple things... why you didn't just get a 3930K or 4930K (IB-E) on the X79 platform? The quad on there is a waste of money (IMO) when you could have had the same performance (read Sandybride processor) for half the cost when you bought this setup in the first place. Personally, I would see if your board supports a 4930K (I would help but I still do not see your signature and know what parts you have!!!) and go that route with the native PCIe lanes since you have the setup already. That may prevent you from falling into the more money than sense category too, LOL!

X79 is perfectly fine...problem is EVGA boards suck, except maybe for their new one (x79 dark).
I'd try to replace the board with Asus ROG one, Sabertooth, Asrock x79 extreme 4 at least, avoid Gigabyte since they are a pain in the...for x79 at least.
You could upgrade to a 4930k if you feel like going for a really overkill setup, or keep the 3820 like I did (for now). It's a great chip and can handle your gpu setup easily if you go for at least 4.5ghz.
5ghz is hard to achieve, and you don't want to push more than 1.45v for 24/7 use, despite cooling used (unless you are subzero ofc)
The bclk strap is fine, 1.25x will produce 125mhz, and thus higher cpu and ram clocks, but your board's 125 strap seems to not work. Did you update the bios to the latest one by any chance? Sometimes it's best to keep older ones, specially since the Ivy-e compatible bioses tend to break some things when using older sb-e cpus.

I wouldn't go through the hassle of replacing the board unless it was broken. The biggest issue with the EVGA boards I have seen is the USB3 issue and ports dropping. Some memory compatibility though, but the OP has so far not complained about that. A lot of effort and money to fix, well, nothing... don't you think?

Back