• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Official Diablo III Discussion Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I wish I had the Gold you guys do!

I have 1.5 mil too my name trying to flip Items in AH. Snipe them for 5 -10k sell for 250 - 500k just for quick sells. Not working so good... Oh well, I will be up there one day. :D

RNG has been pretty kind to me. I got some high ticket drops in MP8+, even when my gear was bad enough that it was taking me around a minute or more to kill elites. My friend and I did nothing but keywarden farming and infernal machines on the highest monster power we could for months, starting out at 5 and eventually working up to 10, no typical farming speedruns whatsoever, and we both got several 9 figure drops in that period that really got us going.

I wouldn't recommend this though, all the math points to it being a really inefficient way of doing things. It was just the most fun we could have in the game and ended up working out.

Monster Power is like "Players X" from D2. Before you make or join a game, you can select what monster power you want. Increasing MP will increase monster life and damage, but increase your XP gained, magic find, gold find, and give a chance at bonus items when killing monsters.

400K DPS? That must be buffed DPS from passives, skills, and/or frenzy shrine. CHC, CHD, and IAS do help a lot in getting your sheet DPS up.

Farming should be done in Act 3 Inferno for ilvl63 items and high monster density, or you could do Act 1 MP1 or higher to make those Act 1-2 monsters lvl 63. If you can't do Act 3 MP0 or Act 1 MP1, then Act 1 MP0 would be the next best, but you just can't get the really good drops. Also, you want to farm elite and rare packs (and do side quests) to make sure to get 5 Nephalem Valor stacks before you do any bosses for guaranteed rare drops. Those guaranteed drops are for elites, rares, goblins, resplendent chests, and bosses.

I see. I've got like 50% IAS at the moment. Thanks for the explanation of MP/tips.

But noticed interestingly if I put a shield on with a single handed weapon; my damage goes up vs having a dual wield set? Why is that? You'd think you'd gain more DPS with 2 weapons, vs a 1-hand with an off-hand defensive style piece. I notice a lot of monks run with spears or one hand and shields. But I find that boring :p.

depends on what skills you are using depends on how your offhand dps is used. I dont know monk skills but I will give barb as an example:

Whirlwind hits with 1 weapon then the other weapon, so If I have 1 weapon with a 1000dps and 1 with 1 then my overall damage is going to be nearly 1/2 if I just used to 1000dps weapon on its own.

However ww barbs use sprint with an ability run like the wind(you fart tornadoes as you run) this only takes into account you MH dps, so in the same situation 1 weapon with 1000 dps and the OH with 1, you would be doing the maximum damage, and changing you offhand would change nothing.

This is why alot of cheaper ww barbs dont care about the offhand, it is just a stat filler (fast daggers usually), as run like the wind is ~60% of your damage, then your mainhand accountigf for 20% of the remaining 40%, means your offhand is only affecting ~20% of your damage, it will be a much bigger damage boost to have a weapon with a tonne of crit dmg socket and str etc than an extra 200dps on the weapon.

All duel wielding offers is 15%ias, so in the case of demon hunters is basically never worth it as dead mans legacy offers 20% on its own and better stats that most possible offhands.

finally ias isnt always a real dps improvement, again back to ww and rltw, they have a tick speed, and at certain breakpoints the tick speed increases, but between those breakpoints ias does nothing at all.

As I say not sure quite how the monk works but it is always possible running a 1 handed weapon with a shield is the best choice, depending on the weapons available and skills used.

I see. I've got like 50% IAS at the moment. Thanks for the explanation of MP/tips.

But noticed interestingly if I put a shield on with a single handed weapon; my damage goes up vs having a dual wield set? Why is that? You'd think you'd gain more DPS with 2 weapons, vs a 1-hand with an off-hand defensive style piece. I notice a lot of monks run with spears or one hand and shields. But I find that boring :p.

Dual-wielding only gives you +15% IAS. The weapons' DPS values are not combined, they alternate attacks using their own base DPS. So, if you had 2 weapons with the exact same DPS, the only thing that would affect your damage is the +15% IAS.

Depending on your shield, the shield's main stat + CHC may net you more DPS than the +15% IAS.

Also, one thing that people don't seem to realize is that every skill in the game uses breakpoints. d3rawr has a complete list. That means that sometimes 1% IAS more might increase your real damage dramatically if it brings you to the next breakpoint, but 3 or 4% more might also do absolutely nothing for you if it doesn't bring you to the next breakpoint. The DPS on your stat sheet doesn't take any of this into account, and it's an awful number.

It reminds me very much of running high MHz with bad memory timings and poor tweaking to draw an analogy to ocing.

Yeah; I do remember the breakpoint system from D2. And breaking it with my old weredruids fury. Hehe. Fun!

Well currently I can hit 26k DPS buffed with deadly reach final skill... Gotta get me some gold (how do people make so much x.x, I've never been more than 250k lol, granted I keep spending it on replacing gear constantly if it's even a tiny bit better, probably a bad idea XD). So I can start upping CHC and CHD. I tried MP1 vs having it off, damn, the difference it makes :\. Started getting owned by elite packs. You'd think a few percent wouldn't make that much of a difference lol.

*Sigh* Diablo 3 is such a troll... I have been looking for a Skorn to drop for my barb and I haven't had 1 drop until tonight.... and it had 0 Str but 442 INT with 1 socket... It upped my friends WD Crits to over 750K....

:bang head

Diablo III Patch 1.0.8 – v.1.0.8.16416

My personal favorite changes in this patch...
  • Increased monster density
  • Coop bonus to MF/GF/XP per additional player
  • ID all
  • AH item compare
  • Matchmaking Tags
  • Crafting queue for multiple items
  • Don't need crafting materials in inventory to craft items/gems

apparently the NA servers economy is totally messed up. They cant roll back because of RMAH transactions so all they can really do is ban, which is too late as the gold is now in the economy.

Trillions and trillions of duped gold has been dumped into the marketplace now :/

anyone played in EU btw? I am loving the new patch, festering woods 5 stacks, then wailing hollow and fields of misery. Great run, got 1 set and 3 legendaeries last night in 1 run :) (+ a key) and 4 player games work well too, the bonus xp is really noticable, mp10 games are fast to find and it seems usually offer good enough people so we churn through the content. the extra mob health isnt so much, so if you want you can easily clear solo while others are in town etc.

Great patch :)

i forgot this game existed, hrmph. so many games so little time.

Finally, some good news for Diablo III. The Reaper of Souls expansion has been revealed and will launch sometime in 2014. After reading all the info I could find about the expansion, it looks like Reaper of Souls will be to Diablo III as Lord of Destruction was to Diablo II. I must say, it sounds like the new Lead Game Designer knows what he is doing and how to appeal to the Diablo fanbase.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Website

Known Information (Source)
  • Additional Act
  • New Crusader Class
  • Increased Level Cap to 70
    • More Skills and Runes
  • New Items
  • Loot 2.0
    • Less frequent, but better drops
    • Smart Drops - Items may roll stats for the character class you are currently playing
    • Normal and Magic item are now used for Crafting/Transmogrifying
  • Paragon 2.0
    • Paragon Levels are account wide
    • No cap on Paragon Levels
    • Reward points to spend in account-wide bonus stats
  • Mystic Artisan
    • Transmogrify - Change item appearance
    • Enchanting - Re-roll affixes
  • Loot Runs
    • Randomized 15-20 minute end-game dungeons

Back