• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old LCD TV mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n17ikh

I have an old black-and-white 2.5" LCD tv from an old TV/radio/tape player. I reverse-engineered it to make the TV standalone with only the small controller board. In taking it apart, I found that it can take a line-level input! Does anyone know of software to display temps/Winamp info in a large font, scrolling, for a small screen? I can plug it into the TV-out of my AIW 7500 and set it up to be a monitor and display stuff... I just need it to display something legible... It would be a neat (free) desk mod... Any help?

i know that using samurize, you can display what song is playing in winamp, so you could put the samurize window up on your tv, but it doesn't scroll. You may be able to write some sort of script to do the job, but i know nothing about that.

Hmm... Where can I get Samurize? (Excuse the dumb question, I could just Google, but I was hoping you had a direct link)

Yep... I had to find the places on the circuit board to accept line-in, but luckily for me the built-in tuner on the card converts to line-level to go to the controller chip, so all I had to do was find that trace.... Also, I had to figure out how to get the video card to detect that there was a monitor on the output, which I eventually figured out.. just 2 68 ohm resistors in parallel with each other and the line-in cable... If you got that... *vague descriptions*

How do you go about modding an old LCD tv to use a line in? That'd be good to know...

-Jeff

Could you give some more detailed info? Maybe a drawing, or something. Sounds like a cool project.

Ummm.... Let's see....

It started life as a Citizen TA80-0A LCD TV/AM/FM Radio/tape player. I would pose a pic but I couldn't even find this thing on Google or elsewhere.... That should give you an idea of how old it is.... I spontaneously got an idea of using it to display temps and such. I opened up the box (with the help of a high-speed carbon drill bit because I couldn't find the right screwdriver until AFTER I finished the project :rolleyes: ) and found that it had 2 major circuit boards. It had a HUGE board that ran the full length of the box that contained the audio amplifier circuit, the tape player, and the radio. The TV tuner was on a smaller seperate board with the LCD controller chip. Connecting the main board and the TV board was a 12-wire ribbon cable. Through a LOOOONG process of multimeter testing, I figured out what all the wires did.

Looking at the back of the TV board, the left side of the connector is Pin 1 and the right side of the connector is Pin 12.

Pins 1,3 + 9VDC
pins 2,4 - 9VDC

These were the only ones I really needed, but for the heck of it I checked out the rest and wrote them down, but I can't find the piece of paper... It's probably with my screwdriver... :rolleyes:

After successfully getting the TV to turn on while applying power, I then set about finding out how to get it to accept line-in. Simply hooking a VCR to the line-out of my video card and then hooking its RF-out to the TV wouldn't work, as the TV tuner was partially broken and wouldn't tune anything below channel 6. The solution was rediculously easy to figure out but it still took me a while because it was hidden. On the back of the card (the side facing the back of the TV) there were 2 pins, labeled "DET" and "GND". It didn't take much experimentation to find out that this was its line-in. So much for complicated pinout lookup...

After successfully determining that the line-in worked (by hooking it up to my Gamecube :D ) I had to figure out how to get the video card to detect the TV. This took a LOT of trial-and-error. I learned that video cards have a sensor on Line-Out to detect whether or not there is a TV attached. The sensor detects current draw on the line-out cable. If the current draw is over a certain level, then there is a TV attached. Unfortunately, my TV had almost NO conductivity across the line-in port, so it couldn't draw a current. My challenge was to figure out how to make a current draw across the line-out while not drawing so much curent that it robbed the signal from the TV. After a long process of trial-and-error, I found the best way to do this was to connect 2 68-Ohm resistors in parallel with each other and the circuit. This caused the TV to be detected b the vidcard on startup. After configuring Samurize, it worked like a charm. All these steps will probably work for you, if you can find a Citizen TA80-0A anywheres... :D It would be MUCH easier with a newer TV....

After rereading this post, I declare it unreadable and unfit for human consumption, as it is far too technical and anyone who reads it is likely to have their head explode from sheer incomprensability.

Was that detailed enough for ya?? :D

Where would you start for modding a NEWER LCD Handheld TV? This one, when taken apart is connected by a ribbon cable with 15 pins to a PCB board built into the plastic frame that seems to contain audio controllers and the frequency tuner. The LCD screen is connected by this ribbon cable and also has a power source... a black and a red wire leading from the bottom PCB plate. I was wondering if I could get this thing to display system specs and temps and then build it into my case and where would be a good place to begin?

*edit* This is one of those expensive color LCD screens.

The LCD screen is also backlit by what looks to be a small CCFL bulb. The actual connectors for the LCD screen actually consists of roughly 60 pins.

Last edited:
I always thought it stood for detonator. That way, if I shorted DET to ground, it would explode. :D

j/k, it's probably detector.

Back