• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Organized Computer Recreation Area

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Son1990

Organized
Computer
Recreation
Area

The Beginning:
Let me first start off by saying if my mom ever knew that, due to Celeron_Phreaks thread , I wanted to build my own entertainment center/desk, he would no longer be alive :p

My room, since the move to New Jersey at the beginning of the summer, has been a complete mess. Books and computer parts strewn everywhere in this disastrous wreck I call "My Room". My project, Screaming Deltas, was performed on my first desk which cost a mean $40 at a wal mart, a desk ment to be used for a short time until we could afford a new one. The time to afford a real nice one never came so after seeing Celeron_Phreaks thread, I ventured out to Home Depot on a quest for wood and a new desk!

The Goal:
The goal couldn't be better summed up than by my bud Blake:
GVBlake22: It's like a "play room" for computer enthusiasts.

+Storage for CDs
+Storage for DVDs
+Storage for books
+Work bench for small mods
+LCD Wall mount

The Design:
This is the basic design. Models will be updated and posted here.

12-16-05
Desk2.jpg
12-18-05
Desk4.jpg

Desk5.jpg

Last edited:
Yesterday I stopped of at home depot and got some of my supplies along with the wood which would be used in the first/main part of this desk.

DSCN3163.jpg
DSCN3164.jpg

The main desk is made from two 2'x4' boards placed one, ontop of the other.

DSCN3167.jpg
DSCN3170.jpg
DSCN3171.jpg

I then cut out and mounted the legs which were about 30 inches high and 21 inches across.

DSCN3175.jpg

The legs were mounted using the angel brackets from my Screaming Deltas desk.

DSCN3195.jpg
DSCN3196.jpg

Now I have to run out and buy caulk and stainer.

Last edited:
SWEET MAN!
That's looking very nice so far. That's one helluva plan you got! Should definately make a great little modding corner. Lots of desk space, storage, and functionality... What more could you ask for?!

Mod On!! :attn:

Yummy design. And wow, CF's thread was just...wow...and now I understood why you were inspired lol.

Updated models in first post. I will work out the exact layouts of the shelves/boxes/drawers when the time comes.

I'm very proud to be such an inspiration to you Son. :)

I'll be keeping an eye on this one for sure.

You're going to hate me for telling you so late........A non-visible way of bonding two boards together is with contact cement. I used a disposable roller and pan, and applied it fairly thick to one side of both boards, and waited for it to become tacky. I then put string on one of the boards in a zigzag pattern, leaving about 6 inches hanging out. The other board was then lowered and straightened out on top of the string. After I was positive it was straight, I pulled the string out, which slowly lowered the top board down and sticking both together.

Can't wait to see this finished. Are you going to be using a vinyl laminate from parts express as well?

The nails seem to work just fine so no worrys. I dont plan to use the laminate because my mother said If I were to do it, it would have to be stained a dark Mohagony (sp?) or painted black. I like the mohogany idea but dont know if I can just go ahead and slap on stainer. What do you think about staining?

Last edited:
well......Parts Express does sell a black laminate, with the grain of wood. Might want to ask your mother about that one.

Staining is easy, pretty much just apply it with a brush or lint free cloth (by soaking it in a container filled with the desired stain), and wait 24 hours for it to dry.

Staining is actually fun. I did it in Industrial Tech. in school. Plus you get high off of the fumes. :santa: lol j/k. Im gonna build my own desk soon, but i dont have nearly as much room as you do.

Are you using a table saw in the garage to cut your wood, or are you having Home Depot do the diry work? :) If you're using a table saw, you know we want pictures. ;)

Celeron_Phreak said:
Are you using a table saw in the garage to cut your wood, or are you having Home Depot do the diry work? :) If you're using a table saw, you know we want pictures. ;)

Looks like he had a jigsaw, but it would seem he's using somehting else (since a jigsaw isn't that straight I guess)

Celeron_Phreak said:

Im using a jigsaw and the cuts have been dead on each time, just taking my time. I would use my scrollsaw but the peices are too long to cut.

A jig saw? Are you sure it's not a band saw?

EDIT: Come to think of it, I suppose he could have used a jig saw. Did you use a clamp guide to keep the straight?

Celeron_Phreak said:
A jig saw? Are you sure it's not a band saw?

EDIT: Come to think of it, I suppose he could have used a jig saw. Did you use a clamp guide to keep the straight?

A jig saw is very easy to use, and can make a very good strait line. I use it alot around here.

Back