• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking i7 930

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, finished overclocking finally. For anyone interested:

-bclock got to 200 @ 1.175v in 10mhz increments and didn't bother playing around with it any more. 1h OCCT stable, hottest core got to 74C on average core temp was around 69C.
-Overclocked RAM a tiny bit, well tightented timings from 9 9 9 24 to 8 9 8 24 @1600 @ 1.54v. 1h memtest stable.
-CPU - started the overclock at 1.25v and that got me to 3.8Ghz (1 core spiked to 63 but on average temps we 57.5C) but after that hit a wall and had to increase voltage to 1.3! to get to 4Ghz. 1h OCCT stable 1 core spiked to 72C, on average was 65C, also 1h Prime95 stable on FFT large datasets. Hottest core spiked to 78C!, average was probably around the 72C mark.

Overall, I'm tossing up between 3.8Ghz and 4Ghz, not sure whether those 4Ghz temps and voltages are worth it for 200mhz. At the moment I'm probably 50 50 on reducing the multiplier a tad. Don't think 0.2Ghz makes much of a difference in my world.

The other thing I should probably do is to reseat the CPU. One core is roughly 5C higher in spikes to other cores. I tried thing when I was building my comp probably 3 times and each time a random core was always hotter than the rest. But overall, the difference was smallest so I just left it.

Anyway, that's that!

EDIT: Decided to go down to 3.8Ghz. Reduced the voltage to 1.25 and reduced multiplier from 20 down to 19. BSOD all the way from 1.25 to 1.3v. Admittedly this was not done with downrated QPI and RAM. So maybe that was the problem, but basically it ain't working at 19 multi. I haven't tried running OCCT or Prime95 with x20multi and mem multi of 8 and QPI whatever it needs to be to get to 3200. Are you supposed to run stress tests with all multis set to their final settings?

EDIT2: Well things have gotten a bit more interesting. When I said that it BSOD all the way to 1.3V that wasn't entirely correct, it BSOD up to some point and then it started restarting without BSOD. Now I have changed my settings back to the 4Ghz overclock and all of a sudden, was just sitting around in my web browser and all of a sudden it just restarted... no BSOD. I have a feeling I might have fried something in the PSU when I changed to multi x19 and went down to 1.25 straight away with memory and QPI at max settings. Then again, it wasn't under load! The plot thickens.

EDIT3: Just got another crash not under load. Went to revert back to stock settings and then found that my channel A was set to 8 9 8 24, but B and C for some reason were 9 9 9 24. When I was setting memory timings, B and C were greyed out, so I assumed that they changed accordingly... not sure what where why things went wrong, but basically they are all set to 8 9 8 24 now, so fingers crossed that was it.

Last edited:
Well bad news... changed all the settings to stock, and spent the day reinstalling w7. Was also in Ubuntu for various reasons throughout thd day... both w7 and ubuntu just restarted randomly several times each. Something is definitely wrong. Running mem trest now to see if it's the ram.

Yeah was a little finicky of a system the rampage was I thought...should do 4ghz at around 1.22-1.3v vcore though and just using the + manual offset. had a a pretty good 920 that was doing 4.4ghz at like 1.375-1.4v. you get it up there those chips still wouldn't bottleneck gpu's that bad. You're chip is probably even binned even better though.

That said moved on to Z270 and a 7700k at 5ghz and THAT is monster man.

Yep this system has stood the test of time albeit stock. I just though I would zhoozh it up to modern levels as much as possible. It seems to be performing respectably even by todays standards so thought I might make the most of it. But it will be wasted if I destroyed something in my overclocking attempts. Will be disappointing.

A bit of an update. Ran the mem test, came up clean, so didn't wreck my memory. I got a my first blue screen actually:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: FFFFFA800B84E4E0
BCP2: FFFFF88004BAF6C0
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000002
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Looks like one of the files that got created as a dump has already been deleted since it was a temp file, I've restarted a number of times already.

The second one... is a .dmp file, no idea how open it, but hopefully I've got enough info to be able to figure out what went wrong.

Yep, BSOD appears to be related to directx, so maybe you're right, maybe the video card needs reseating.

Well, have been using the computer quite a bit since the last BSOD, no crashes, so perhaps it has healed itself :). Will be doing the overclocking process again from scratch.

I do have a question however. Once you complete figuring out your multipliers, frequencies and voltages for the individual components and then crank everything up to run as one, the system should be able to pass OCCT and Prime95 at these settings correct?

Yep, BSOD appears to be related to directx, so maybe you're right, maybe the video card needs reseating.

Well, have been using the computer quite a bit since the last BSOD, no crashes, so perhaps it has healed itself :). Will be doing the overclocking process again from scratch.

I do have a question however. Once you complete figuring out your multipliers, frequencies and voltages for the individual components and then crank everything up to run as one, the system should be able to pass OCCT and Prime95 at these settings correct?

I said that, because my Asus Maximus II Gene system suddenly rebooted, because my GeForce GTX 660 was coming out of the PCI-E slot when on, IIRC... And saw that code in the event log, IIRC.

Well round two of overclocking update.

Been following this guide this time: https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2010/07/a-beginners-guide-to-overclocking-your-intel-processor/

To me, the way I'm reading it, it seems like you set everything to min, the crank up your base clock, then your mem, leaving your bclock, then the cpu multi, leaving your memory and bclock maxed. However, doing it this way has made my system unstable even at the stock 2.8Ghz and a couple of notches past 1.3vcore. Following this guide: http://www.overclockers.com/3-step-guide-overclock-core-i3-i5-i7/ once you get to the cpu stage, you max your cpu multi and lower bclock and raise it bit by bit until you reach your target bclock again. Doing it this way everything worked in my last attempt.

Hmm... logically... you should be able to leave your bclock at say 200 and memory overclocked and then raise your multi bit by bit with vcore, but it just isn't working out. Hmm...

Last edited:
Well, overclocking isn't going too well. No matter what I do, I can't overclock at bclock of 200. I set my CPU multi to 19 and went from 133 bclock up to 190 on 1.25v vcore but the moment I went to 200 bclock... resets. I reverted back to the 4Ghz overclock that worked a few posts back, but it was no longer working, would reset in OCCT after about 5 seconds.

I then tried different multis like 18, 17 16 etc, nothing is stable anymore. Maybe it's just bclock 200 that it doesn't like, but either way, not sure where to head to next. I've just set my computer to 3.8Ghz @ 1.25v and will see if it works (I doubt it), but anyway. Bit bummed at the moment.

EDIT: Yep not stable, reverting back to stock... again.

Last edited:
Mine won't even boot into 200bclk, I tried raising bunch of voltages ich1.2 ioh1.2, pcie103, vtt1.4, pll1.88. It's great at 191x21, gives me a 4ghz OC and keeps my ram in good speeds.

Also I noticed my IMC doesn't like going over 3ghz. Needs a LOT of vtt to continue. I quit and left it at 3ghz.

Back