• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Overclocking Problems - Need Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheGoldShinobi

Hey guys, so I've had my i7 920 clocked at 3.6GHz for about three months now and the other day it randomly reset and will not overclock above 3.2 anymore. Don't know if my CPU is dying or what but I've decided to ask here before doing anything stupid.

My 920 is D0 stepping and obviously base clock is 2.66GHz with a 2.67GHz Turbo. I'm using a Gigabyte EX58-UD4P motherboard with a Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme cooler and on Base clock, my cpu never goes over 37deg.

I followed this site exactly: http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/rmp_i7_920_overclocking

But the problem was not achieving a stable clock, it was when I restarted my computer to change the clock again, it just reset back to 2.66GHz.

I lowered my voltage to 1.1v changed all the voltages and settings, ran Prime95 for 8 hours, then two intelburntests simultaneously and it passed everything. Never went over 56deg.

From there I started increasing my base clock by 10, then ran stability tests for an hour(Prime 95 for an hour and then 2 intelburntests simultaneously for 10 processes), and then rinse and repeat.

After a few hours, I was at 175 (3.5GHz) when I got my first Blue screen, so I upped my voltage a little bit and it was good until 180. Then I upped my voltage a little bit more, but it did nothing. So I'm at a point here where, I'm not comfortable tinkering with it because I don't want to screw up my CPU, I figured I should turn here for help. Anyone?

Last edited:
The only thing that could kill your CPU is excess voltage/temps. Just stay under what's recommended for your system, but as long as you do there's nothing to worry about.

You're probably just missing some Vcore, but it's hard to tell as I don't know the specific value you were using in the end.

You should post the whole rig in your signature. Also, you could post pics of your actual settings in BIOS... Anything you changed you need to post it here.

The only thing that could kill your CPU is excess voltage/temps. Just stay under what's recommended for your system, but as long as you do there's nothing to worry about.

You're probably just missing some Vcore, but it's hard to tell as I don't know the specific value you were using in the end.

You should post the whole rig in your signature. Also, you could post pics of your actual settings in BIOS... Anything you changed you need to post it here.

I figured it out :) It was my VCore and VTT voltages were out of sync, I hadn't realized. Oh 4GHz, how I love you :p

That was the next step. Then it would have been to fine tune RAM. Glad you figured it out by yourself, that's how we learn!

Back