• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4P800 dx and raid config

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
blockdoc said:
you need to make that floppy on another computer first. then on your new system when you install your OS you will have an opportunity to give the install program the drivers to set up raid from the floppy you made.
Right, so it can't be done with one system...

Not that most of us don't have another system lying around when we're building, but it still sounds like there should be a floppy included in the package.

Last edited:
JKeefe said:
Not that most of us don't have another system lying around when we're building, ....

That's for sure! :D
For example, I have my wife's pc set up for my son, then I built a new one for both my wife and me (not an ieal setup hehe) and I'm planing on building a second one for me for testing purposes. :) I have a feeling I'm not the only one around here with more than 1 pc.

Anyway, I'm planing on creating a raid-0 setup now nonetheless.
How do I do this correctly?
Do I first mess with the raid setup of the bios? Do I still have to format the drive(s) under dos and the install the os?

--NiTCOM

Last edited:
I have one computer and one laptop. I have a bunch of other computer parts that would be enough to build 2 more computers and if I bought another case, I'd have 3. P1 133, P2 400 and a P4 1.6.

Nitcom - You create the raid in the bios, then use your OS to format during installation.

-Bobby

NiTCOM said:

Can I config raid0 with a 80 gig master and a 15 gig slave drive?

thanks.

i think if you try to raid an 80gig and a 15 gig your raid will only show up as 30gig. im pritty sure you need to have two drives of equal size for raid, unless you wan to lose 65gigs of space.

chibb_s said:

i think if you try to raid an 80gig and a 15 gig your raid will only show up as 30gig. im pritty sure you need to have two drives of equal size for raid, unless you wan to lose 65gigs of space.

That would be a bumer. But I'll get prob tomorrow another 80 gb - it's so inexpensive these days.

Ok, I've set up 2 x Maxtor 80 gig as raid0 and it feels like it's running faster somewhat. The installation was A BREEZE.

Created aray in the bios, then fdisk and format, then f6 and the floppy disk with the drivers installed. That was it! Piece if cake!
So from now on I'm a RAIDER, too. Couldn't resist!!! :D :D :D

Thank god I didn't throw that OTHER HDD cable away (the one with the blue end) because you NEED it to connect the drives
to the raid controller. Why didn't label ASUS that cable better??
It doesn't say ANYTHING about raid at all.
Anyway.

Hey I donnu why but I can't find the SEC_RAID1 slot !?!?!?:rolleyes:

--NiTCOM

blockdoc said:
The second ide raid slot is at a 90 angle to the first raid slot. the pins face the right side of the board instead of staight up.

I see it now, thanks! Man that's odd!! So whats up with that?
Which cable goes there?

Back