• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4PE ran fine, then this started,

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

leathersmt

I just installed my new P4PE and I was just settling in to test it , and the new audigy 2 platinum card, when wierd things started.
First the sound started going low and then it stopped altogether....out of the speakers,(4.1's)
then the puter stopped, I rebooted, and it did it again...... then it happened again, and I left it alone for the night. Got up today , booted it, then about 3-4 minutes into checking the settings, it died altogether. I hit the reset switch and it would not boot. I tried removing a memory stick, and it started to boot again, but stopped imediatly, then I got a HOT proscessor warning......would not boot, then nothing. please let me know that this is a power problem..... I am off to look into the chieftec cases with the 420w power supply, as that is within my budget at the moment........I hope I didnt burn the proscessor up! I put in a 1.8 proscessor, and it still would not post or boot...... this tells me that I am hopefully right....on the laptop till new one gets here......

P4PE 2.53
geforce 2 200 at present
radeon 9700 on the way!
audigy 2 platinum

heatsink was blowing air fine, in fact, I had put the stock fan on and it was working good....but things died , slowly and not all at once, could the motherboard have had a short, and ate everything slowly? thanks for the fast answer

Last edited:
leathersmt said:
the fans where all running fine when it died. thank you for the fast answer.

No prob,

Ok. Is the heatsink mounted properly to the cpu. I would take it off and reseat it to make sure (due to the hot cpu warning).

That could be the cause, or the power supply could be overvolting it. (less likely though)

leathersmt said:
gonna go try that, thanks agian.

Every time you shut it off to do something to it it gets a cooling off period, then when you turn it on again it runs until it overheats again. I think those pentium chips slow down as they get hotter. Thats why I think its heat related.

I have a serious problem.
I took out that P4PE board and loaded in a P4S333. I only put in two sticks of memory, and the vid card. I got the thing to power up. Then while it powers up, it says, thank you ASUS, that the self check is done, and it brings up a window that says it didnt shut down last time right, so do I want to start windows normally, as soon as I hit enter, the whole thing freezes....... I have repooted, ten times, and still the same thing. SO I take the boot disks for xp, load them, then everytime it goes to load the cd, nothing happens.....did i ruin a hardrive....it wasn't the power supply , like I thought.......help

could all three sticks have gone bad at once? Maybe from a short in the system? I have taken them all out and put each one, I still get the same thing. It goes through the boot sequence. Then stops after it says it is booting from the operating system, the machine had only been online, for a minnute and had no time to get a virus or anything...... new hardrive..loaded new xp into it....
it would not go through ther boot sequence if the memory was bad would it?
could the hardrive been erased somehow?

Last edited:
leathersmt said:
could all three sticks have gone bad at once? Maybe from a short in the system? I have taken them all out and put each one, I still get the same thing. It goes through the boot sequence. Then stops after it says it is booting from the operating system, the machine had only been online, for a minnute and had no time to get a virus or anything...... new hardrive..loaded new xp into it....

No, I doubt all three sticks could go at once. Jumpers on the HD set ok? Try booting off of a floppy and running fdisk. Delete any partitions and make new ones. You could also try Fdisk with the /mbr switch in case the master boot record is damaged.

I didn't change any of the jumpers, all this hardrive was working in the p4pe, then it stopped working all of a sudden, cant figure out why. I downloaded the fisk, and unzipped it to a floppy, I plan on trying it to the computer that is having problems, on the laptop now.... thank you for the help. May need more please.

UPDATE>>> having to reformat the drive

I am currnetly ersasing the drive, and starting over. I need to lay down for awhile, I will type more later. Maybe I got a corrupted drive. DOing the tests now.... fdisk didnt run, doing a cylinder test.

UPDATE>>> I HAD TO REFORMAT THE HARDRIVE. I do not know why, but the hardrive was bad, or something. Maybe a virus on it, I dont' know, but it would not recognize windows xp...I see a few others here having the same problems, and that could be it with your machines too. I will keep you posted, but it did the re-certification of hardrive, that I got from the hardrive company on floppy, and I did a fast five minute low level format and now am running the XP boot disks again. We shall seee if that is what the problem was and is. :p Better that then a whole new motherboard.....

here is the update, I tried the slots on the memory , two good slots one dead, the stick worked in the other slot. so then this:::
o.k., after 48 hours of working on this motherboard , I finaly reformatted the drive, got the thing to boot up, and loaded the os. I got it online, then played until about 2:00a.m. on a game. shut it off, thinking, o.k., it has a bad memory slot, I am going to be calling them this morning for an RMA for sure anyhow, but check this out, this is where it gets wierd. I go to boot it up this morning, and it was dead, just like the other day, would not boot, it would not turn on, all's I had was the green light on the board, and the fans would start this time, ( not before) So I tap the proscessor, like a whack on the side of the ole t.v...............and YES< it booted.............not only that , the time is now , 7:07a.m., and the time clock for the system says it is 9.32p.m., January 1, 2002......go figure eh? Well, yes, I will be on the phone to the rma dept this morning and that makes 3 ASUS boards in a row, that have gone back to them .....P4S8X (version 1.02) P4S533-E , would not boot, now this one, no boot, and a dead memory slot and this story. :eek:

Last edited:
Back