• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC keeps restarting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SeVeN777

Hi! Im just new in this site. So i have a problem for my pc. It keeps on restarting. Ive been to some shops near almost 4 of them and they always tell me your pc is ok. Ive tried buying new cpu, mobo, ram. Tried to flash the mobo. But still thesame. I also tried to buy new anti surge outlet and even remove and test every single component and it still restarting. But in a pc shop it runs fine.

When you say it keeps restarting can you be a little more descriptive?

Does it make it to the motherboard splash screen or is it boot looping?

If it makes it to the Windows loading does it make it all the way to the desktop or does it restart before Windows fully loads.

If it makes it to the desktop. What is happening when it restarts. Can you replicate this or does it happen randomly?

Can you also list what operating system you are using along with your full system specs.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and welcome to the forums.

It restarts randomly. Sometime it reaches the desktop for 30-50min, sometimes on the windows loading screen or after the boot screen. Im using a windows 8.1

My pc specs are corsair vs650, i5 6500, 8x2 ripjaw 2400hz, gtx 750 ti, toshiba 1tb, gigabyte h170 gaming 3. My processor, ram and mobo is new. Even with my previous it restarts thesame.

If it's fine outside of your home, best guess is the home wiring. Is the socket grounded? Is the power and neutral reversed? Try a different socket/location in the house.

Have you tried doing a fresh, from scratch reinstall of the OS? Something like this can be caused by damaged system files, buggy device drivers or even malware. But yes, I would check the power system in your home as others have said. Check the voltage with a multimeter to see if it is too high or too low: https://www.amazon.com/ELIKE-T-92-S...TF8&qid=1477747525&sr=8-3&keywords=multimeter. Get an LED circuit tester to check for incorrect wiring sequence: https://www.amazon.com/Electrical-R...words=home+electricity+plug+in+circuit+tester These are very inexpensive items.

I would certainly try replacing the power cord at the back of the PSU. When people take a computer to a shop to be checked they often don't take the power cord. I would also check any power strips/surge protectors between the computer and the wall outlet for proper functioning. Are the wall outlets old and not gripping plug prongs securely?

Another possibility is overheating. Do you live in a part of the world where it gets extremely hot and air conditioning is not available in your living environment? Is the PC stuffed into a desk or entertainment center where it does not get fresh air? Is the CPU heatsink or PSU clogged with dust? Maybe the PC shops have a cooler environment.

Last edited:
If it's fine outside of your home, best guess is the home wiring. Is the socket grounded? Is the power and neutral reversed? Try a different socket/location in the house.

I tried different socket in my house its still thesame. :(

Test it OUTSIDE of your house again. If your house wiring is messed up, it likely wouldn't matter which outlet you tried. :)

May I know how to check id my socket is grounded or neutral reversed? Im a newbie at pc gaming. Thanks!😊

Have you tried doing a fresh, from scratch reinstall of the OS? Something like this can be caused by damaged system files, buggy device drivers or even malware. But yes, I would check the power system in your home as others have said. Check the voltage with a multimeter to see if it is too high or too low: https://www.amazon.com/ELIKE-T-92-S...TF8&qid=1477747525&sr=8-3&keywords=multimeter. Get an LED circuit tester to check for incorrect wiring sequence: https://www.amazon.com/Electrical-R...words=home+electricity+plug+in+circuit+tester These are very inexpensive items.

I would certainly try replacing the power cord at the back of the PSU. When people take a computer to a shop to be checked they often don't take the power cord. I would also check any power strips/surge protectors between the computer and the wall outlet for proper functioning. Are the wall outlets old and not gripping plug prongs securely?

Another possibility is overheating. Do you live in a part of the world where it gets extremely hot and air conditioning is not available in your living environment? Is the PC stuffed into a desk or entertainment center where it does not get fresh air? Is the CPU heatsink or PSU clogged with dust? Maybe the PC shops have a cooler environment.

Hi ive tried to reformat my system because of the frequent restarts and troubleshooting cases my hdd got corrupted. I dont have any idea about voltage test but will try. Next time that i would test on the shop I will also bring the power connectoe and avr. Btw the technician told me that there is a possible cause od ground on the dvi slot. So he instructed me to put a wire on the screw slot and guide the wire to a wall nail or a big metal. Tried it already but it still doing random restarts. My home is cool i checked my temps vga and cpu there like 30-50celcius.

- - - Updated - - -

Test it OUTSIDE of your house again. If your house wiring is messed up, it likely wouldn't matter which outlet you tried. :)

How would i know if its messed up sir?

You mentioned earlier that it worked at the shop (outside of your house), but borks inside your house. Try at a friend's and see if it's still good. If so it may be your electrical.

You mentioned earlier that it worked at the shop (outside of your house), but borks inside your house. Try at a friend's and see if it's still good. If so it may be your electrical.

I tried it at my friends house were in the same village and it does restart there also. But the thing is, his computer runs fine but mine always get a restart.

May I know how to check id my socket is grounded or neutral reversed? Im a newbie at pc gaming. Thanks!��

One of these will tell you if your outlets are wired correctly, and they are easy to find at local hardware stores. I would still test it at a different location though.

What we also don't know is how thoroughly the PC shops you took your computer to tested the machine. How long did they watch it?

And if your computer still misbehaved at your friend's house and his did not and you have also reinstalled the OS then it points to a hardware issue or a driver issue in my mind.

The next thing I would do would be to try another PSU in your computer.

What we also don't know is how thoroughly the PC shops you took your computer to tested the machine. How long did they watch it?

And if your computer still misbehaved at your friend's house and his did not and you have also reinstalled the OS then it points to a hardware issue or a driver issue in my mind.

The next thing I would do would be to try another PSU in your computer.

Well i was there when they test it almost 4-6hrs via bench mark or burn test. Should I buy a new psu now?

- - - Updated - - -

One of these will tell you if your outlets are wired correctly, and they are easy to find at local hardware stores. I would still test it at a different location though.

Will try this one. Thanks man!

Back