• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pentium 133 - even worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johan851

Insatiably Malcontent, Senior Member
I have a Pentium 133 (probably not even MMX) that I could donate to folding...but would the trouble of setting it up and the power required to run it full time even be worth it? FYI, I could probably overclock it to 166MHz...YEAH! :rolleyes:

Throw on a vapor setup and reach 250mhz... sweet!

Probably not, you could use it as a router, firewall, email server, or something tto shoot tho.

What kind of OS do you think it would max out on? Win98 with everything tweaked for performance?

I bet you could get it to run 2000...but you'd have to do some serious tweakage. 95 or 98 would probably be the most practical.

Overclock it. I'd overclock a couple of 180Mhz pentium pros with 256k l2 cache that I have, IF I knew how to set the multipliers. It has a group of jumpers and it tells you how to set everything except the multipliers. It says, "refer to manual on multiplier adjustments." Too bad they came with no manual. I lapped the sink and the heat spreader down to the solder, but I could put an 80mm fan if I wanted. I bet it could easilly do 250-300Mhz with AS5. Now that miht be worth it.

It's not MMX because the first MMX was a P-166. I would say that Win 98 is as high as you would want to go. ME won't even try to install, if you don't have a 150 it says something about it and shuts down.

As said above, firewall or mail server, print server, etc is a good use for the machine. I'm not sure that it would fold fast enough to work. There are time limits on WU's and all.

I think that I would use it to play with Linux. Smoothwall for example.

Barebones Linux + Linux client running Gah I think is the best idea.

smoothwall or bin maybe

i've tried folding my cyrix k6-150+ rig it was really painfully slow
a real waste of electricty
it now runs 24/7 as a smoothwall box
and it will hold water reservoir and pump for my main rig when i get finished

I have gotten my pentium pro to 233Mhz and 66Mhz FSB. Do you think it could run FAH decently with overclockix running from cd? I have it running overclockix right now and it seems to be fine. I just need a network card to hook up to lan so I can fold, but I want to know if it'd be worth it. Also, does a pentium pro have any instruction sets that could help it with folding? I know its 256k of l2 cache running at full speed will definately help.

No flags will help it. If deadlines are a problem for either gromacs or tinker units, you could switch it to do genome@home which is dog-slow but has no deadlines. You'd only need to edit the client.cfg and restart it with the foldon65 command.

Does genome at home show results in the same place FAH? Or is it some totally different thing that just uses the same program? I think I'll steal a network card from my stepdad's comp to try it out. He has wireless card anyway so he'd never miss it. :):):):)

A lot of wireless cards don't have linux drivers yet, but its worth a try...

G@H still counts toward your F@H points... the projects are related.

I'd try a bigger engine myself

I have a P233 with 256MB on Win XP Pro, but folding stinks ie SLOW! and often does not make deadline. I also have a PII 333 (XP Pro 256 ram) [both of the latter two are laptops] with same slow results and an iMac 333 (OS 10) same slow results, so I don't use these as folder machines.

1. XP 2500 (187x12.5) 2. XP 2200 (140x13.5) 3. P4 1.7 (OEM) 4. P4 1.8 (OEM) 5. Dually in process

I installed the non-wireless card from my stepdad's comp and it is booting right now. I'll see how it goes in just a minute. At first I booted and I coudln't use the mouse even though the bios detected it. I could use the mouse last night and I haven't changed bios. It showed a hardware setup error while booting, but not this time, after clearing cmos. I'll test it out right now. OMG what is going on? I can't use my ps/2 mouse anymore! I tried two and neither move the cursor on the screen. One is an optical wheelmouse, the other is just a generic wheelmouse. I've booted with and without the ethernet card and I get no mousal response. The optical lights up just fine and gets brighter when I move it, just like normal, but neither mouse seems to work. Weird thing is, THEY WORKED LAST NIGHT!!!

Quailane said:
What kind of OS do you think it would max out on? Win98 with everything tweaked for performance?

linux, you could get it all "twinked"

Back