• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pentium 4 3.0E build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

VinnyTAMU

Well I hate to be a total nubie and post a "please review my setup" thread but I am going to do it anyways. Let me just say that this is a great website and I can't believe how much I learned over the last 2 weeks of searching through these forums. Well I have decided against an AMD build, and I am looking into a P4 3.0E build. Please let me know of any suggestions or concerns with my build. Also I already have a case and AGP graphics card.

Processor
Pentium 4 3.0E Prescott Socket 478 Model BX80546PG3000E - Retail

Motherboard
ABIT IC7-G MAXII Socket 478 Intel 875P - Retail

Memory
OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2 1GB (2 x 512MB) DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model OCZ4001024ELDCPER2-K

PSU
OCZ ModStream OCZ52012U ATX 520W Power Supply

CPU Cooling
SP-94 with a tornado fan (saw this cooling setup come up a couple of times in different posts) Open to other suggestions.

Thanks for the input.

Are you getting all these parts brand new? In that case I would most certainly pick a LGA775 CPU and mainboard. LGA775 boards have a much beefier power circuitry needed when OCing a Prescott...

Yes, I was planning on buying everything new.

By the looks of it I could afford a 530J or 540J processor and mother board. What LGA 775 processor and motherboard combo would you guys recommend? Could you list a good pci express board and a AGP board.

Thanks again

I would recommend the 530J overclocks to 3.8 right off the bat with stock cooling and nice temps, Get an xp-90c like I have now on it, and Iam over 4.0! :)

Hello and :welcome: to the Forums VinnyTAMU,

I would also go for the LGA 775 processor and motherboard as you will have less power issues when overclocking.

I would think that the Video Card you have is an AGP one? If so then I would stick with the AGP LGA 775 motherboards. I myself find the Asus P5P800 - LGA 775 utilizing the i865pe and the ICH5 is a fine way to go when overclocking. It has all the necessary bios implimentations for a successful overclock. This will allow you to use the AGP video card and the DDR RAM.

Here is a forum search for research purposes:

http://www.ocforums.com/search.php?searchid=822326

R

So I have narrowed my choices down to either of these 2 processors. Here are the 2 processors that I am looking at buying from Newegg.

1. 630 Model # BX80547PG3000F
2. 540J Model # BX80547PG3200EJ

Of these 2 which would you suggest. I am leaning towards the 540J.

As far as the mother board I think I am going to take ropey's advice and go with the Asus P5P800 AGP board.

So basicly everything in the begining of the post except the processor will be the 540J and the Asus P5P800 mobo. Any other suggestions?

As for the picking old components, my selection process up to this point has been going on Newegg and selecting components based on reviews. Well I am glad that I posted this and saved the hassel of buying older stuff. Thanks again guys.

Well based on pure "overclockability" if that is a word which would be the best choice. Also is the +1 mb of L2 cache going to make a big difference?

Well part of the reason I was considering the 540J over the 630 was back when I was still considering an AMD 64 build I got very confused about HTT and how to overclock a 64 bit processor. Is this going to be the same issue between the 540J and the 630? Or will the approch to overclocking be the same between those two processors?

Well I have decided to get the 630 processor mainly because my University is allowing me to buy the Windows 64-bit opperating system for $10!

Back