• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help...no power after reinstalling water cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eco_bach

First a summary of my setup, Asus X99 A-II mobo, i7 6900k CPU, Titan XP gpu, EKWB predator 360 water cooler, EVGA1000W ps.
Recently had a catastrophic WC failure. Hose disconnected from radiator and emptied onto bottom of case and floor.
After several hours my machine shut down. Once I discovered the error I removed power and water cooler. AFAIK no coolant splashed on mobo.

Just installed a replacement water cooler this evening and then hit the power button on the mobo to check if everything still works. All fans and LEDs were working. Then hit the same power switch on the mobo again to power down and unplugged power supply.

Then after plugging in a 2nd time and hitting the on off switch on my PS NOTHING!
I should be seeing flashing LEDs on my mobo.
Of course it would not boot!
Freaking out now and don't know what to do next.
Does this sound like possibly a short in my PS or mobo?
How can I test for this?

It's easy to test if the PSU is dead.

1. Flip the PSU power switch off.

2. Straighten out a wire paper clip and remake it into a narrow "U" shape maybe .5" a cross.

3. Disconnect the big 24 pin power connector going from the PSU to the motherboard.

4. Insert the two paper clip ends into the pins of any green and any black wire on the big 24 pin power connector coming from the PSU. One papler clip end to a green and one to a black wire pin.

5. Find a case fan that connects to one of the four pin molex conntectors (they used to be used for the power connector on old IDE/PATA hard drives) coming from the PSU. If you don't have a case fan with that kind of connector, find something else that runs off an IDE or SATA connector that makes noise or light or movement that you can see or hear. A spinner hard drive would work I think for this purpose I think.

If you have no such device to connect then use a multimeter to test and touch the multimeter leads to the yellow wire and the black wire next to it.

6. Flip the PSU power switch back on an watch for evidence of current being produced. If nothing else, you should hear the PSU cooling fan spin.

The whole purpose of this is to bypass the motherboard and see if the PSU is putting out any power.

Attachments

• wires.PNG
    wires.PNG
    40 KB · Views: 46
IMG_1360.JPG

Thanks!
The attached is a pic after my first successful boot with leds on and fans running.
Even after a mobo shutdown still see glowing leds on mobo.

The WC fail was due to a design flaw which I assume has been fixed. Where the hose attach to radiator was plastic and cracked from stress.
My first build and so far has just been a huge sinkhole in both time and $
Think I need emotional support more than anything since almost tempted to totally scrap my $5000 investment��

I'm going to hazard a guess that seating the ATX plug was the culprit. Not that I would know anything about that....... LOL

Do you mean the 24 pin connector that goes to the motherboard or the plug that goes to PSU from the wall? I've had fire shoot out of a PSU when doing the latter. A wire to the power cord socket must have broken loose at the solder joint or something. Scared the beejeebies out of me.

I've occasionally not gotten the 24 pin seated all the way and gotten the confused facial expression when I push the button nothing happens. It's usually the first thing I double check now, even before I try to turn the rig on. When absolutely nothing powers up but the PSU fan, it's the obvious first step for me. And not because I'm smart! Quite the opposite, based on the number of times it's happened to me. LOL

The WC fail was due to a design flaw which I assume has been fixed. Where the hose attach to radiator was plastic and cracked from stress.
My first build and so far has just been a huge sinkhole in both time and $
Think I need emotional support more than anything since almost tempted to totally scrap my $5000 investment��
Was it the predator that failed?
The only recall was from o-ring that was in the cpu block https://www.ekwb.com/news/important...xlc-predator-240-and-360-r1-0-product-recall/

Was it the predator that failed?
The only recall was from o-ring that was in the cpu block https://www.ekwb.com/news/important...xlc-predator-240-and-360-r1-0-product-recall/

yes predator 360, older revision though only 6 months old. no recall I was aware of
Update
Did the 24pin jumper test
http://www.evga.com/support/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=59582
To my surprise, I could hear the fan, so PSU seemed ok.
Then powered off, replugged 24pin into mobo. Brief flash of LED's then NADA.
Turned PSU power switch off, reconnected 24pin jumper, powered PSU back on. NOTHING!
wt doublef!
This seems to be at least a PSU failure, and possibly my mobo as well.

Questions
1- If I replace with a brand new PSU, is there any possibility of damaging it if there is ALSO problems with my mobo?
2- Just to be safe, should I ALSO replace ALL power cables when I get the new PSU? Some coolant splashed on power cables on the bottom of my case but since they are totally insulated and shielded I assume they are water resistant as well.
3- Worse case scenario - what else could be damaged? Again surprised since as mentioned, no coolant to my knowledge splashed on mobo and I was only concerned with overheating damage to CPU.
In addition, I assume there might also be
a-mobo damage
b-cpu damage
c-gpu-???? hope not, that set me back $1400!!

As usual, and advice feedback to help me thru this trauma appreciated.

When a PSU goes capouy it often takes out other components with it. In my experience, the RAM is the most likely to be damaged. But motherboard and video card can also be damaged. Water pump also, I guess. The CPU is unlikely to be damaged and I think it's because they are actually pretty tough and also because the motherboard will usually go first so that the power surge doesn't get to the CPU.

Is the PSU still under warranty? Do you have another computer you can check the PSU out with? As you seem to know, just because a PSU puts out enough power to spin a fan doesn't mean it puts out enough to power your system. What about the rest of the components. Anything still under warranty?

About to give up I removed the CMOS battery, wiped it with a bit of isopropyl alcohol in a dry lint free cloth, replaced, and surprise, my PSU came back to life, which is some strange voodoo since the 24pin power cable to my mobo wasn't even connected!

About to give up I removed the CMOS battery, wiped it with a bit of isopropyl alcohol in a dry lint free cloth, replaced, and surprise, my PSU came back to life, which is some strange voodoo since the 24pin power cable to my mobo wasn't even connected!

Makes me wonder if some coolant actually did splash onto the motherboard.

Ah, A WC Horror story to read as I prepare to get my own going! A Joyous occasion reality check for me to consider the possibility of a fried system! On the bright side, My PSU is on the other side of my case, so that is safe from any pesky coolant leakage.

Just everything else is in danger, specifically my HDDS at the bottom of my case!! At least my SSD cage is in the back!! I really need to get some big SSD's to replace these old spinner drives...

Just to close this thread

I pulled out ALL power cables from PSU and mobo.
tried to air them out for a while(need to invest in a good hair dryer!)

Should have done this first!

Reconnected and have been running smooth now for 24+ hours.

Most likely tiny amount of coolant (guess it only takes a drop in the wrong place!) splashed on to a power connector and or bottom of my PSU causing my intermittent power issues.

Back