• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fsarfino

I'm having major problems getting my system to go above 200FSB. Today I did a reformat and re-installed win xp. Re-flashed my bios to the new Tic Tac d23 subzero ver. And I'm still having problems. Here's my setup NF7-s ver2.0, Barton 2500 (unlocked), TwinX1024-3200LL pro, 9800 pro. My system is watercooled with danger den maze 4 Cpu, Danger den NB block, and a Danner Mag 5 pump so temps are not the problem.

I'm starting to think maybe I got some bad ram since before with some crappy samsung pc 2700 I was able to get to 215FSB. Although I was getting memory errors with the samsung It would boot into windows. Now I can only run stable @ 200FSB with the corsair at 205FSB the system just keeps rebooting and never makes it into windows.

Oh BTW I am running these in dual channel mode.

Last edited:
Is the new RAM the only thing you changed? If so, it is pretty clear the RAM is the problem. If not, list the changes so we can help.

Since I was having problems with the samsung and memory errors I didnt run my system overclocked. I was running at the stock 2500+ speeds for a while. till I could get the cash for this memory. When I was overclocking it before I was just testing it out to see if I could get any sort of speed gain out of the system using the samsung.

So yeah the memory is the only hardware change.

ok here's how My bios is setup. Its prolly all wrong at least I hope so.

external clock 200
multiplier factor 11
Agp frequency 66mhz
Cpu FSB/dram ratio-Auto
Cpu interface-disabled

Cpu voltage 1.65
ddr voltage 2.6
chipset 1.6
AGP 1.5

Memory timings

Row active delay 6
ras to cas delay 3
row precharge delay 2
cas latency time 2.0

other settings

System bios cacheable disabled
video ram cacheable disabled
AGP aperture size 128
FSB spread spectrum disabled
AGB spread spectrum disabled
CPU thermal throttling disabled
enhance PCI performance disabled
CPU disconnect function enabled
AGP data Rate 8X
AGP fast writes disabled

Hopefully this will help to troubleshoot my problem

Thanks for all the help in advance.

Did you increase your DDR and chipset voltages? Running the RAM at higher FSB speeds requires more juice.

maxima88 said:
Did you increase your DDR and chipset voltages? Running the RAM at higher FSB speeds requires more juice.

even if your only trying to get 205 to start out ? The main reason I did not try to raise the voltages yet is due to the review of this ram on the main page. I figured that It would run at least to 205 without having to up the voltages since in the review. He did not have to raise voltages till 215 I think. (although all components are slightly diffrent)

But I will give it a try once I get home tonight. Thanks for the help.

Are my bios settings correct or should I change them.

Thanks

you can allways test it out with memtest...just make sure you got good ram sticks...test them seperate...sry if ant help...

Yeah I was also thinking of giving mem test a go at 200FSB and see if I get any errors. I just might have to RMA these. I hope not though:(

Anyone have any thoughts on the bios settings that I listed above. Do I have these setup right ?

I'll let ya guys know what happens as soon I get home.

test your ram. ram and mobo's are just like drawing strings some you have alot of potential and some just cant hold there own with the longer strings.

well it appears that I must have some bad ram.

Here's what I tried (was in dual channel )

FSB @ 205 would boot into windows but it was crashing on 3d mark 2001

11-7-7-3
FSB 205
Multi X11
CPU/FSB dram - Auto
CPU interface enabled also tried disabled

CPU core 1.7v
DDR SDRAM 2.8v
Chipset 1.7v
AGP 1.5

I also tried to do 210 FSB with the same settings but I had worse results.

Does anyone see anything else I should try or should I just attempt to RMA this ram.

Tomorrow I'm going to run mem test in dual channel and also test the individual sticks to make sure that I am getting memory errors @ 200 FSB.

fsarfino said:
ok here's how My bios is setup. Its prolly all wrong at least I hope so.

external clock 200
multiplier factor 11
Agp frequency 66mhz
Cpu FSB/dram ratio-Auto
Cpu interface-disabled

Cpu voltage 1.65
ddr voltage 2.6
chipset 1.6
AGP 1.5

Memory timings

Row active delay 6
ras to cas delay 3
row precharge delay 2
cas latency time 2.0

other settings

System bios cacheable disabled
video ram cacheable disabled
AGP aperture size 128
FSB spread spectrum disabled
AGB spread spectrum disabled
CPU thermal throttling disabled
enhance PCI performance disabled
CPU disconnect function enabled
AGP data Rate 8X
AGP fast writes disabled

Hopefully this will help to troubleshoot my problem

Thanks for all the help in advance.

CHange the "Cpu FSB/dram ratio' to 6/6 to make the cpu and ram on a 1:1 basis. Running the ram @ 200fsb makes the cpu run @ 145 or something like that, whatever that is isnt ganna help performance.

Also you really should try to turn on Cpu Interface altho that will lower the overclockbility slightly it will increase performance. You can leave that off for now, but turn the ram ratio to 6/6

Candyman thanks so much for that advice. I'm now running at 220 FSB !!! and its stable.

Here's my timings/voltages

6-2-3-2

CPU 1.95
mem 2.8
Chip 1.7

CPU interface is enabled

So it appears that my cpu was hungry for voltage. After each 5 mhz increase I had to go up a little on the voltage. to keep it from locking up or dumping me out of 3d mark 2001. I still have some more benchmarks to run to make sure that this is a stable overclock.

Back