• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Plugging in PSU, big spark from socket

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I can't say Ivy wasn't wrong, my Motherboard died again. Heres the story
Can an Mod change the thread title to like *updated* or *died again* or something?
P.S Kosay, I like your specs :p

9t8Pp.jpg

Started generating rainbow tables, the program was designed to use the GPU also, but I never checked if it did and the GPU was cool and quite. So my CPU was being used at 100% and I went off to watch TV, well all the sudden my PC just shut off! The Fan on my CPU heatsink never changed speed! Same thing as last time, no boot\post and this time I could see a small hole in a chip. Ignoring this fact, I use the same method to "fix" the Motherboard, starting the PSU with the 4pin plugged in. I waited overnight after this.

I got the same sound and smell as last time, but this time there was white smoke....
Ignoring this fact also, I tried to boot the computer and there was a ****ing Flame on a different chip!!! Besides that the computer ****ing booted up and everything.

Okay, now I'm having some problems with my Computer. It shuts off randomly and I don't know why, Ill go ahead and say its working fine with my CPU underclocked at 1ghz (x5 multiply)

Basically windows will start and **** and I can open Google chrome and Adobe reader and other stuff, browse files Ect.... but it will turn of after about 2minutes!

Here's some of my hypothesis, Heat, Power, Won't work with blown chip.

Heat: My cpu is getting to hot for it to work with 2 blown chips, False.
My cpu uses AMD cool and quite so it clocks on the fly as low as 600mhz(estimate, idr) and as high as 3.40ghz when it needs to. Stating a program like Chrome will clock it to 3.4ghz for until it loads increasing the heat (but no higher than 102f)

Power: My PSU is damaged and too much watt use will shut it off, Possible.
I still need to test this(because I removed my GPU and DVDD), I just wanted to post this question before ****ing my computer up till it won't boot. ill test later. But like I said, it shuts off randomly, not because my CPU was using to much power or heat.
*edit*
plugged in my GPU and played some videos (that are GPU intensive) and Its working fine right now.

Computer doesn't work with 2 blown chips: False, Its running fine right now.

Last edited:
I had a Gigabyte motherboard that functioned great despite having a hole burnt through it, it's amazing what works sometimes.

I'd say you need a motherboard with heatsinks on those MOSFETs.

I had a Gigabyte motherboard that functioned great despite having a hole burnt through it, it's amazing what works sometimes.

I'd say you need a motherboard with heatsinks on those MOSFETs.

The ones that blew are farther then the other
Last time this happened a MOSFET did not blow
And the 2nd one blew when I attempted to "fix" the motherboard, not from heat.

Started generating rainbow tables, the program was designed to use the GPU also, but I never checked if it did and the GPU was cool and quiet. So my CPU was being used at 100% and I went off to watch TV, well all the sudden my PC just shut off! The Fan on my CPU heatsink never changed speed! Same thing as last time, no boot\post and this time I could see a small hole in a chip. Ignoring this fact, I use the same method to "fix" the Motherboard, starting the PSU with the 4pin plugged in. I waited overnight after this.

I got the same sound and smell as last time, but this time there was white smoke....
Ignoring this fact also, I tried to boot the computer and there was a ****ing Flame on a different chip!!! Besides that the computer ****ing booted up and everything.

Okay, now I'm having some problems with my Computer. It shuts off randomly and I don't know why, Ill go ahead and say its working fine with my CPU underclocked at 1ghz (x5 multiply)

Basically windows will start and **** and I can open Google chrome and Adobe reader and other stuff, browse files Ect.... but it will turn of after about 2minutes!

Here's some of my hypothesis, Heat, Power, Won't work with blown chip.

Heat: My cpu is getting to hot for it to work with 2 blown chips, False.
My cpu uses AMD cool and quite so it clocks on the fly as low as 600mhz(estimate, idr) and as high as 3.40ghz when it needs to. Stating a program like Chrome will clock it to 3.4ghz for until it loads increasing the heat (but no higher than 102f)

Power: My PSU is damaged and too much watt use will shut it off, Possible.
I still need to test this(because I removed my GPU and DVDD), I just wanted to post this question before ****ing my computer up till it won't boot. ill test later. But like I said, it shuts off randomly, not because my CPU was using to much power or heat.
*edit*
plugged in my GPU and played some videos (that are GPU intensive) and Its working fine right now.

Computer doesn't work with 2 blown chips: False, Its running fine right now.
It's not the heat from the CPU but the power it draws from voltage regulator that can damage the latter, and I'm going to speculate that those two chips (descrete MOSFETs) in the regulator circuit blew so hard that they opened-circuited (rather short-circuited, which is the more common failure for transistors and diodes), and because the regulator circuit delivers power with several phases (one of those dark grey cubes and a pair of MOSFETs per phase), the remaining unaffected phases are able to power the CPU, at least for a while. I don't know why they blew in the first place, but a bad PSU putting out low voltage on the +12V could make the CPU voltage regulator drive the MOSFETs harder to compensate. I also wouldn't rule out inadequate design by MSI.

If you ever decide to try repairing a motherboard, MOSFET replacement is probably the easiest repair because the leads are fairly large and don't go through solder holes. I'd cut off the leads near the MOSFET body and use a 50W iron to melt the solder at the tab.

Last edited:
It's not the heat from the CPU but the power it draws from voltage regulator that can damage the latter, and I'm going to speculate that those two chips (descrete MOSFETs) in the regulator circuit blew so hard that they opened-circuited (rather short-circuited, which is the more common failure for transistors and diodes), and because the regulator circuit delivers power with several phases (one of those dark grey cubes and a pair of MOSFETs per phase), the remaining unaffected phases are able to power the CPU, at least for a while. I don't know why they blew in the first place, but a bad PSU putting out low voltage on the +12V could make the CPU voltage regulator drive the MOSFETs harder to compensate. I also wouldn't rule out inadequate design by MSI.

If you ever decide to try repairing a motherboard, MOSFET replacement is probably the easiest repair because the leads are fairly large and don't go through solder holes. I'd cut off the leads near the MOSFET body and use a 50W iron to melt the solder at the tab.

Thanks for the info.

So I guess my CPU won't be able to clock too high now? but it shouldn't use more power if I don't change the voltage? (sorry I have no ideal about this)
I find I can clock it to 2.4ghz without the computer shutting off.

I'd replace the MOSFET's if this motherboard wasn't under warranty. I just want to know if my computer full works with these blown chips.

So I guess my CPU won't be able to clock too high now? but it shouldn't use more power if I don't change the voltage? (sorry I have no ideal about this)
I find I can clock it to 2.4ghz without the computer shutting off.

I'd replace the MOSFET's if this motherboard wasn't under warranty. I just want to know if my computer full works with these blown chips.
I wouldn't use the motherboard until it's repaired, period, because MSI isn't exactly known for overbuilding its motherboards, and they didn't put in 5-6 phases in the CPU voltage regulator for redundancy (in case on phase failed) but rather to reduce stress on the components in each phase (capacitors don't have to work as hard).

Was it MSI or Diablotek that took 2 months for the RMA?

I wouldn't use the motherboard until it's repaired, period, because MSI isn't exactly known for overbuilding its motherboards, and they didn't put in 5-6 phases in the CPU voltage regulator for redundancy (in case on phase failed) but rather to reduce stress on the components in each phase (capacitors don't have to work as hard).

Was it MSI or Diablotek that took 2 months for the RMA?

MSI did, but 2nd RMA's are allowed.

I understand your concern with using the motherboard, but I just don't have enough time to wait for an RMA. If this Computer goes, then I have no internet access in my house.

*edit*
can you go ahead and tell me the specific MOSFET's I need for my motherboard?

Last edited:
can you go ahead and tell me the specific MOSFET's I need for my motherboard?
Ideally, the same ones that are already on the motherboard, but replacements don't need to be 100% identical but just meet the same parameters (equal or higher amp, volts, and power ratings, equal or lower on-resistance and gate capacitance), have very similar gate turn-on (threshhold) voltage, and packaging, and be made for the same purpose (power supplies or DC-DC converters). Philips/NXP and STmicro are widely sold and should have suitable substitutes. DigiKey sells them, and for small orders can be the cheapest because they charge little for shipping light orders.

Ever since this new death, my integrated chipset on the motherboard has been getting REALLY hot, even just using google chrome and watching videos, when before it would always stay warm unless playing a game.

So I think now that I have the clock (2.40ghz) set right, the reason my PC instantly shuts off is because my chipset is overheating while playing a too intensive game. MW2 never shuts off, but Skyrim and Crysis will shut off after a few minutes.

So how can I check if my chipset overheating the the reason for shut down? MSI afterburner isn't showing my chipset GPU after updating it sometime ago.

*edit*
yep, pretty sure its overheating. Was watching some 1080p anime with a 50% cpu load and it shut down. Touched the heatsink on my Integrated GPU and it was pretty damn hot.
So I might make another thread on how to fix this, I've tried disabling it in the bios but it still gets hot.

Last edited:
Back