• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Poll: Series or Parallel?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
A test was run at EOCF, and the person found that parallel (Identical) radiators outperformed series by a large margin, probably because of the higher flowrate in parallel.

AngryAlpaca said:
A test was run at EOCF, and the person found that parallel (Identical) radiators outperformed series by a large margin, probably because of the higher flowrate in parallel.

Wouldnt the each rad get less flowrate in parallel compared to running in series? I think in the case of rad delta T plays a bigger role... correct me if im wrong

By killing flow rate I meant for the system. They both cool the water to the same temperature, theoretically, seeing as there is the same surface area, and time spent in them, but the flow rate for everything else would die.

They can't hurt flow rates that much - at least not a basic chevette heatercore. After passing through a WW or something, flowrate would probably be reduced to where the core's restriction wouldn't really matter...

Now you can tell me how far off that is. :)

I am planning to run my CPU block, and GPU/Northbridge blocks on two parallel loops. I am doing this becuse I will have three radiators in circuit:

1:

FROM 2 & 3 (BELOW) -> Y SPLITTER -> T LINE -> PUMP -> Y SPLITTER -> TO 2 & 3 (BELOW)

2:

ANOTHER Y SPLITTER -> PARALLEL RADIATORS -> CPU BLOCK -> BACK TO PUMP & TEE LINE

3: RADIATOR -> GPU BLOCK -> CHIPSET BLOCK -> BACK TO PUMP & TEE LINE

The pump being a CustomSeaLife T1, or an IWAKI MD "Z" which should be able to handle the massive loop.

AngryAlpaca said:
By killing flow rate I meant for the system. They both cool the water to the same temperature, theoretically, seeing as there is the same surface area, and time spent in them, but the flow rate for everything else would die.

time has little/none to do with heat transfer... Didn't you say that the flowrate will be greater with parallel? I dunno maybe we're miscommunicating...

Johan851 -> I dunno how much efffect running rads in parallel will have on flowrate compared to running rads in series... But it is less.. not sure how much. You are right on that WBs do play role for example if you have a high-restrictive block, switching to a single-pass core wont give you a great boost in performance compared to switching over to a single-pass with low restrictive block...

Time has plenty to do with heat transfer. Watts, as in the equation, is joules per second. Flowrate should be much greater in parallel, there is the equivalent of ~7/8" ID tubing, providing much less restriction.

Exactly - parallel circuits effectivly double the highway width the water has to drive on. Y fittings cause some flow decrease, but OVERALL system flow will be superior.

Also, it isn't possible for someone like me to effectively use three radiators in series - flow restriction would be phenominal.

Low restriction block, mid-range pump, one radiator:

PUMP -> RAD -> CPU -> GPU -> CHIP

Same setup, two radiators:

PUMP -> Y SPLITTER -> PARALLEL RADS -> Y SPLITTER -> CPU -> GPU -> CHIP

AFAIK running the two radiators in parallel will be more effective - as it essentially creates a "double radiator" with twice the surface area of one "single" radiator of the same type.

Back