• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power saving options for overclocked FX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

y0bailey

Alright...I have my FX8320 running @ 4.5ghz stable with minimal voltage bump. I have however watched my power bill increase since installing this power hungry *******. Mobo = Sabertooth 990FX.

I want to have it clock down, save energy, etc when not needing 100% cpu usage.

I have re-enabled Cool N Quiet and C1E, however it still never clocks less than 4.5ghz when tracking it with CPUz/HWmon.

Is this even possible? What settings am I missing?

Have you got windows power manager set to balanced?

Need to update and make more complete your signature.
RGone...

Have you got windows power manager set to balanced?

Need to update and make more complete your signature.
RGone...

Updated sig.

I would triple check my power profile in windows when I get home...but I don't think that is going to be the fix. I feel like there is some silly bios setting I am overlooking.

Well Cool N Quiet enabled is effectually "Balanced Mode" in Windows 7 power management section. However Windows 7 power management seems able to override CNQ so I always set balanced mode in WPM.

C1/C1E also must be ON but not C6 or TurboCore.
RGone...

I was looking to do the same thing Thanks Rgone I knew you had set yours up to do that

Let me know if it does not work out for you. Months and months ago I wrote up a mini-how-to use Offset Vcore and a few tried it among us that overclock pretty heavy and it did not seem to take off too well.

Then about 2 or 3 months ago I actually began to try Offset Vcore setup. Of course CNQ is enabled and C1/E and WPM is set to 'balanced' mode. So now using all of that and Offset Vcore setting. Took a little getting used to and then again "johan45" and I tried a write-up on using Offset VCore and other power saving features and a few got it that we know about. It is a little difficult to write how to use Offset Vcore, but for me it was very much worth the effort to make it work.

I now can do next to nothing using my FX-8350 on air at < 0.98 Vcore @ ~1400Mhz and then have it ramp up under heavy load to 4700Mhz with 1.44 Vcore and never miss a beat. I was also able to reduce my LLC setting by one notch. It really was win / win.

You cannot teach overclocking and Offset Vcore and power saving at the same time. It just does not work, especially with these super h0t FX processors. Push the Pee out of it and then when one 'learns' that skill...other things may follow on.
RGone...ster.

It really is worth the effort, once you know your stock CPU VID and CPU_NB VID it's just simple math to figure out the offset values. Every CPU is different so it's not a plug and play kinda thing, just like OC'ing.

That's where the offset comes into it. It gives some control over the Vcore back to the Mobo.

I run a sort-of "offset" on my POS giga board because of the noise and not wattage and it`s very nice to not hear the rig while just browsing the web and listening music.:D

PS: it will be nice next week when i get the funbox running again....

I run a sort-of "offset" on my POS giga board because of the noise and not wattage and it`s very nice to not hear the rig while just browsing the web and listening music.:D

PS: it will be nice next week when i get the funbox running again....

Go fun box whoot whoot

So I feel dumb, because power management was the trick in Win 8.1. Now I throttle down.

I think I am going to try offset voltage control and get this thing a little more efficient. Especially since my R9 290 is coming soon and that is going to be sucking a lot of juice.

Thanks for the help all! I will report in with how my offset setup goes.

I'd get a Kill A Watt, and see how many watts your rig is pulling from the wall to determine, if your rig is responsible for the increase in your power bill.

Back