• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Powercolor 9800 pro 128mb vmods

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jkbanman

Registered
Does anyone know a link to a guide to vmod a Powercolor 9800 pro 128mb. And a good bios for these cards.

If your video card uses the reference 9800 Pro PCB, then you can use these voltage modifications and read points:

http://www.madshrimps.be/gotohowto.php?howtoID=42

Overall a very good, and easy to follow guide :). You can check whether your card uses the Reference PCB, by comparing your video card to the one shown in the guide's numerous pictures.

Don't hesitate to ask if you need any help with the mods :)

My Friend did that mod... i myself am to afraid to mod my video card.... it worked verywell for him...

he also did the heatsink mod where u take a stock heatsink from like an AMD cpu and replace the stock VPU's heatsink with the CPU heatsink

i am getting my card tonite. i wanna do both vmods. I will be using a glacialtech northpole 1000 heatpipe cooler. Ive seen a couple reviews that show it performs better than the arctic silencer and zalman coolers.
I plan on doing this solderless on the pcb. Ive seen people do it with a section of wire from an ide cable and hot glue. What do the Vref and Vddq mods do? They look a little harder to do.
Thank you for the link....

Last edited:
What do the Vref and Vddq mods do? They look a little harder to do.

These are likely to fubar your video card. Only GDDR3 really ever needs or benefits from VDDQ being run out of spec - VDDQ voltage modifying your 9800 series card is playing with a very big fire that could well burn you.

That said, do you have a link to these mods? I was never able to find pictures of them myself.

As for solderless modifications, you are really much better off using a soldering iron, and doing it properly. It is very very difficult to make good contact with hot glue and a bare wire, very frustrating and very difficult. Soldering is actually easier, in my experience.

Back