• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PQI Turbo Series (2-2-2-5) any good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Reefa_Madness said:
So Tom wasn't thrilled, huh. Did you let him know that none of us were either?

I'm glad that you were able to make contact with him and hope your wait is short.

im really psyched up about this ram cant wait for ur impression of this memory. is it due in tommorrow??

just rec'd this from PQI tech support.

As many time reply this question,don`t worry what brand of IC chip we used(Samsung;hynix;winbond....mosel...),the importance is how we testing the Over Clock ICs chip,we have been tested our ICs chip can possible to run max speed then we build the modules,then we tested the modules at the speed we tested the IC chip,that why our modules more stable.
An Duong
MEMORY TECH SUPPORT.
PQI CORP
46716 Lake view Blvd.
FREMONTCA94538.
Tel:510-651-7281 ext.8932
Email:[email protected]

mckennaiii said:
just rec'd this from PQI tech support.

As many time reply this question,don`t worry what brand of IC chip we used(Samsung;hynix;winbond....mosel...),the importance is how we testing the Over Clock ICs chip,we have been tested our ICs chip can possible to run max speed then we build the modules,then we tested the modules at the speed we tested the IC chip,that why our modules more stable.
An Duong
MEMORY TECH SUPPORT.
PQI CORP
46716 Lake view Blvd.
FREMONTCA94538.
Tel:510-651-7281 ext.8932
Email:[email protected]

funny i heard the same thing from bt. what alot of support people fail to realize is that we aint ur average joe. the mere fact that we hang around in this forum is testament to our interest in memory. when a person is sincerely interested in a subject he is apt to learn much faster and absorb more info, than joe dell lookin for an upgrade.. so knowing which chips are on the modules IS importantfor us, and is a sign of the people here knowing what they are talking about..
take reefa for instance. about 6 months ago when he started hanging out in this forum i knew more about memory than him and helped answer his questions to the best of my knowledge. well 6 months later and frankly he KNOWS more about memory overall than me. i see that in alot of guys here
that wanna know, and are like sponges the way they absorb info..

flapperhead said:
im really psyched up about this ram cant wait for ur impression of this memory. is it due in tommorrow??

Well, it is not due until Wednesday. I am hoping that in typical newegg fashion it will arrive early, but will have to wait to see. I went back and checked, I thought I had ordered on Wednesday, but it was actually around 6:30 pm Thursday (East Coast time) and it was shipped on Friday. This "feels" like it is taking a little longer than usual for shipping, from Friday until Wednesday, but I guess the weekend messes things up. I usually order on Sundays and seems like I have it by Tuesday or Wednesday.

My plan, again, is to test this ram on an NF7, using either a mobile 2500 or 2600, then on an Intel rig using an Epox 875P board, with a 2.6C P4. Since I know people are interested in this stuff, I will try to get some prelim numbers on the PQI ASAP, then follow up with the rest. I have a Booster than I can put on the NF7. The Epox 4PC3A+ has a healthy 3.3v that can be fed to the ram, so that should be sufficient for theses purposes. I will compare results with 2x256 KHX PC3200 (bh-5) under similar testing. I'll first run benchies at default settings, then some overclocked figures, up to max overclock. I will also do some 5:4 testing on the Intel rig. Just for grins, and as time permits, I might add kvr with MT 46V32M8 (-5B C) to test at low latences and Hynix bt-d43 (for high fsb comparisons) into the mix, as I have some 2x256 of each of these as well. This will provide a comparison of three different ICs, with fast timings and two (PQI & kvr with Hynix), possibly three (bh-5 with the Booster) at 250 or more. I think that this will provide us with a good picture of the PQI/Samsung, compared to some other well known ICs currently used in other modules.

This should give us a pretty good idea what to expect from these two platforms. The "king" vs the "newcomer" vs the "pretenders". I am open to suggestions on the kinds of benchies or testing that someone would like to see, so please feel free to post comments/requests here and I will add them as time permits.

As for A64, someone else will have to give that a shot, although I do seem to recall that the Anandtech review concluded that these Samsung chips don't do as well on the A64 platform.

i agree.

funny i heard the same thing from bt. what alot of support people fail to realize is that we aint ur average joe. the mere fact that we hang around in this forum is testament to our interest in memory. when a person is sincerely interested in a subject he is apt to learn much faster and absorb more info, than joe dell lookin for an upgrade.. so knowing which chips are on the modules IS importantfor us, and is a sign of the people here knowing what they are talking about..
take reefa for instance. about 6 months ago when he started hanging out in this forum i knew more about memory than him and helped answer his questions to the best of my knowledge. well 6 months later and frankly he KNOWS more about memory overall than me. i see that in alot of guys here
that wanna know, and are like sponges the way they absorb info

flapper,

You are being very kind, but as I've posted elsewhere with respect to our relative knowledge and your comment about me knowing more about memory than you. My response is simply "not hardly and not even in your sleep".

You are right, however, about my desire to learn. This applies to many of the guys, as well, and we are all grateful for guys like you that are willing to take the time to share your knowledge and experience with the rest of us so that we don't have to make the same mistakes over and over. I have noticed that in some of the other forums, the mood is more of competition and seeing who can best everyone else. I am grateful that the mood is different here and hope that it stays that way.

Well, I received two e-mails today. One from an, and one from a different one, the marketing director, Eric Liang. Eric was straight forward, said yes, we use TCCD, while An said the exact same thing as the other guy received. Perhaps our corespondents with this company should now be directed towards his email. His email is his name @pqimemory.com

While we already know they use TCCD, it does make me happy to see that we possibly have a new commited company to buy from.

Cheers to Eric responding.

Reefa_Madness said:
flapper,

You are being very kind, but as I've posted elsewhere with respect to our relative knowledge and your comment about me knowing more about memory than you. My response is simply "not hardly and not even in your sleep".

You are right, however, about my desire to learn. This applies to many of the guys, as well, and we are all grateful for guys like you that are willing to take the time to share your knowledge and experience with the rest of us so that we don't have to make the same mistakes over and over. I have noticed that in some of the other forums, the mood is more of competition and seeing who can best everyone else. I am grateful that the mood is different here and hope that it stays that way.

you're a good guy, along with alot others in this forum..

I also received an email from the an guy and he's not very forthcomming.... either he doesn't know the answers to our questions or he isn't allowed to say.....

"We are memory modules manufactory for over 15years.We have good relationship with IC chip maker,we also testing and sales our Over Clock ICs chip to some once else.Our memory is lifetime warranty.With OC memory you don`t have to worry about the brand,the importance things is how they testing the ICs chip and modules.Hope this can clear your ideal on over clock memory modules.!!!!"
An Duong
MEMORY TECH SUPPORT.
PQI CORP

This stuff here, from PMI/PQI, got a pretty decent review. The tested ram came with CH-5 chips and sells for $209 per 2x512MB sticks at newegg. My only point of linking is that it gives us a little more info about the company. We might very well have a new source of ram. It never hurts to have options. By the way, the product code is off by one letter between the tested ram and that at newegg (DPL vs DGL). This could be because of the merger of PMI / PQI, or the color of the heatsinks, or it may actually be a different product, although the timings are the same at 2-3-2-6. I think that it is the heatsink color because one ends in DPL ("P" for platinum) and the other in DGL ("G" for gold).

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-141-149&depa=1

http://www.systemcooling.com/pmi_pc3200-01.html

really surprising you guys are getting replies to email from PQI, they failed to answer any of my 3 sent to them

reefa, sure hope you can make one of those test NF7-S + 2600 mobile ;)

I went ahead and splurged and got the 2x512 2-2-2-5 deal.....I sure hope I dont regret it after what I've been through with ram recently :D

FATAL ENIGMA said:
I went ahead and splurged and got the 2x512 2-2-2-5 deal.....I sure hope I dont regret it after what I've been through with ram recently :D

hey, we're hoping right along with you..... if this is a good find I'm sure this ram will become hard to get real quick.

you got some big ones going for the 512 ram..... I like that.... remind me to never play poker with you. :D

My intent is to keep it relatively simple, due to time contraints. The list will include the following, plus any reasonable requests (meaning that I can get access to it for minimal $). I don't game, so my collection of gaming benchies are limited and since I am pretty new at this, I am limited in my overall collection/knowledge of benchmarks. My goal is to use recognizable benches that can be duplicated/validated by others and also compared to published tests. Please note in advance that video cards are of the 9500 flavor one Pro and one NP. I have been tempted to pick up something newer, but again, since I don't game, these have been adequate for my needs. I may break down and pick up a 9800 Pro, now that they are around $200, provided I can find the one moddable to a 9800XT. I just don't want to get caught up in gaming benchmarks with frame rates affected (limited) by the card used. Any help in this area would certainly be welcomed.

1) SANDRA (buffered and unbuffered)
2) 3DMark2001
3) ScienceMark2
4) PCMark04
5) UT2003 Demo
6) Super PI - 1M & 2M

This should provide sufficient test results by which to compare relative performance results, which is what I am seeking...within the contraints of my test systems, how does the ram compare, relative to each other.

Reefa_Madness said:
My intent is to keep it relatively simple, due to time contraints. The list will include the following, plus any reasonable requests (meaning that I can get access to it for minimal $). I don't game, so my collection of gaming benchies are limited and since I am pretty new at this, I am limited in my overall collection/knowledge of benchmarks. My goal is to use recognizable benches that can be duplicated/validated by others and also compared to published tests. Please note in advance that video cards are of the 9500 flavor one Pro and one NP. I have been tempted to pick up something newer, but again, since I don't game, these have been adequate for my needs. I may break down and pick up a 9800 Pro, now that they are around $200, provided I can find the one moddable to a 9800XT. I just don't want to get caught up in gaming benchmarks with frame rates affected (limited) by the card used. Any help in this area would certainly be welcomed.

2) 3DMark2001
3) ScienceMark2
4) PCMark04
5) UT2003 Demo
6) Super PI - 1M & 2M

This should provide sufficient test results by which to compare relative performance results, which is what I am seeking...within the contraints of my test systems, how does the ram compare, relative to each other.
I know I can speak for all of us when I say we appreciate the effort your going to put forth testing this PQI out - my fingers are tightly crossed and I'm praying :D

HouseRat, today is your lucky day, I dont play poker :clap:

FATAL ENIGMA said:
really surprising you guys are getting replies to email from PQI, they failed to answer any of my 3 sent to them

reefa, sure hope you can make one of those test NF7-S + 2600 mobile ;)

I don't have any problems with using the 2600, as I have both cpu(s) available and I have no preference. I do however believe, based on the limited testing I have done on them, that my 2500 is the better proc.

You may very well be ahead of me on getting and testing this ram, as my time is limited by work and family committments. I will do the best that I can to stay on task with this, but it would not surprise me if others get done with their testing of the PQI before I do. What I hope to be able to contribute is the comparative part (TCCD/BH-5/BT-D43/MT -5B C) of the testing.

This should be fun and hopefully, be of value to everyone.

Reefa_Madness said:

2) 3DMark2001
3) ScienceMark2
4) PCMark04
5) UT2003 Demo
6) Super PI - 1M & 2M

Thanks for taking the time out to evaluate the ram. I appreciate it.

I'm actually thinking twice about getting the ram now. According to an article at anandtech, no Samsung TCCD has hit 250mhz on an a64. The crucial ballistix is their ram of choice for A64 and it was about $267 recently for a gig (after 4% discount). The PQI would be $236 for a gig. Hmm, 31 dollar difference. And this is all assuming that the PQI ram performs like other Samsung TCCD based memory that has been tested.

This is definitely going to be of value to everyone. If you're worried about your card limiting some of the 3D benchmarks, just lower the resolution to make it more of a system bottleneck. 6 benchmarks is way better than what I was hoping for. YAY! :)

Back