• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PQI Turbo Series (2-2-2-5) any good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Reefa_Madness said:
Here is what I've been able to make out of their product codes.

The following link is to melon_stunner's ram (see the product's timings) at newegg, I believe, but in a "dual-pack" vs a single stick.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-141-154&depa=1

The newegg number starts with an "N" and has 15 digits. My best guess at decoding the PQI number goes like this: PQI3200-1024DAH (dual-pack), seems to indicate the speed rating (3200), the total megabytes (1024 vs 512), dual-pack (D) vs the single stick (S) reported on by melon_stunner in his PQI3200-512SAH. Based on some of the other products, it appears that the second letter is used to designate the heatspreader color. So far it appears to me that "G" is for gold, "B" for the mirrored black, "A" for the plain black and "P" for the platinum spreaders (boy, aren't I astute, huh). Sometimes a third letter is being used to designate additional information. The ram with the 2-2-2-5 timings being discussed is this thread carries the "U", which may stand for "U"ltra low timings, for example. The product described in this thread and linked to here at newegg uses the "H" as the third letter in the code, which I have not found a pattern for yet, and there is also an "R" for registered memory. To further confuse me, it appears that sometimes the third letter is just part of the color codes, as "PL" for platinum and "BL" for the mirrored black. I could just check their website and see if they have datasheets explaining all this, but that would be too easy.

A little further up in this thread I linked to another ram from PQI, with slightly faster timings, came with CH-5 ICs and priced at $209 per 2x512 at newegg. It was reviewed recently (June 2004) and received good marks. Hopefully we have, thanks to FATAL ENIGMA's find, another source of reasonably priced ram, especially for the AXP rigs.

LOL you're funny.

Pretty cryptic, unlike buffalo;), but the ones I got, and since returned (I only opened one but maybe still should'nt have returned it...anyway, were "PQI3200-512SAH" two sticks, PQI3200-1024DAH one pack, and PQI3200-512DAH one pack.. When i got home I checked the newegg part number which did'nt match.. then I opened one and peeked under the HS only to find self stamped chips...Did'nt bother testing since the package(s) all said 2.5-3-3 AND neweggs part did'nt match...plus if I tested I would feel bad returing.. So, I eargerly awaiting your results..

PM me first so I can get an order in before sold out..:D (kidding)

JayliN said:
Finally decided to save the $80 and went with a gig of PQI Turbo 2.5-3-3-7 in Mirror Black

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-141-152&depa=0

My goal is somewhere in the 240-260mhz range at 2.9 or less volts and it seems according to melon_stunner that these sticks can do it. I realize that I may get lower latencies on the TCCD but I couldn't justify spending $80 for a 2-3% performance gain. (not on a broke college student's budget at least) If there is interest for a review on this dual channel kit on a A64 platform, I will do a review when I receive them.

You're smart and will probably be very rich someday. I am constantly amazed people spend 100-900% more money for hardware that offers insignifigant gains...from FX processors to $350 ram. Especially when you can overclock close to even an FX overclock in performance. Simple formula I use, and most sensible people use when evaluating a product is if it costs twice as much it better be twice as good. In the case of ram, you're talking sometimes 3x the cost for 5-10% gains... lame.

<--broke college student too...well sorta...I just like beer and other stuff more than marginal gains only to be obsolete in 18 months anyway.:)

!!!UPDATE!!!
The HIGHLY anticipated RESULTS!!!

This ram is SIMPLY AMAZING!!!

So I tested 200fsb with 2-2-2 with no suprise it passed memtest without errors.

next test, i upped the fsb to 210, however, it FAILED 2-2-2 and will ONLY do 2.5-3-3. i was very disappointed (at this point) :confused:

HOWEVER, that's where the disappointment ends.

i was able to push the rams to 260 @ 2.5-3-3-5 w/ 2.85v!!!! :drool: :drool: :drool:

Here is some results from sandra memory benchmarks:

3.0ghz 15x200 2-2-2-5 4423/44447
3.15ghz 15x210 2.5-3-3-5 4623/4579
3.3.ghz 15x220 2.5-3-3-5 4852/4817
3.45ghz 15x230 2.5-3-3-5 5212/5280
3.6ghz 15x240 2.5-3-3-5 5552/5514
3.75ghz 15x250 2.5-3-3-5 5783/5772

i wasn't able to get 1:1 ratio above 250 since my p4 won't run over 250fsb. i didn't have a chance to run on my amd rig either. i somehow crashed my amd rig and have to reformat.

i don't have much time to do other benchmarks either, i will be really busy till friday. i'll try to do some other tests during weekend.

anyways guys, this ram might be HUGE!!!

ps running memtest @ 270fsb. will post some results later

***EDIT***
270mhz @ 2.5-3-3 PASSED with no errors!
however, comp refused to boot @ 280 - 2.5-3-3. will try loosen the timing a lil.
currently testing 275mhz @ 2.5-3-3

***EDIT #2***
275mhz 2.5-3-3-5 PASSED!!!
however, looks like this is the limit for my rams. comp won't boot @ 280fsb even with 3-4-4. overall this is some AMAZING SPEED :eek:

hopefully others will post their results also.

Last edited:
looks like pqi is a gold mine. i'll prolly get 2x256mb also to replace my kvr on the amd rig. kvr will be going to ebay!!!

BeerHunter said:

just after I picked up the cheaper version too. Now I'm getting second t houghts. :bang head

Anyway, I would be interested in how high you can go with X-2-2-X timings.

grrr, im sold. Cancelled my previous order and spent the extra money on this gold mine. I figure since dual kits for its competitors are priced at at least $324 (OCZ Platinum Rev2 at newegg) this dual kit is a steal at $245. Hopefully with the high price comes high resale value in the future. Will be doing a review of these on an A64 rig during the weekend if not done already by then.

JACKPOT!

Anyone order these that has A64? That's what I want to see. Samsung, from all reviews does'nt perform as well on 64 as intel..Need micron to do that ie OCZ EB or ballistix.

Anyone? If not I'm on the risk.

BeerHunter said:
Anyone order these that has A64? That's what I want to see. Samsung, from all reviews does'nt perform as well on 64 as intel..Need micron to do that ie OCZ EB or ballistix.

Anyone? If not I'm on the risk.

I'll be putting these in a SN85g4v2 Nforce-150 with an A64 3000+CG. I'll have results in the weekend.

homer77 said:
!!!UPDATE!!!
The HIGHLY anticipated RESULTS!!!

This ram is SIMPLY AMAZING!!!

So I tested 200fsb with 2-2-2 with no suprise it passed memtest without errors.

next test, i upped the fsb to 210, however, it FAILED 2-2-2 and will ONLY do 2.5-3-3. i was very disappointed (at this point) :confused:

HOWEVER, that's where the disappointment ends.

i was able to push the rams to 260 @ 2.5-3-3-5 w/ 2.85v!!!! :drool: :drool: :drool:

Here is some results from sandra memory benchmarks:

3.0ghz 15x200 2-2-2-5 4423/44447
3.15ghz 15x210 2.5-3-3-5 4623/4579
3.3.ghz 15x220 2.5-3-3-5 4852/4817
3.45ghz 15x230 2.5-3-3-5 5212/5280
3.6ghz 15x240 2.5-3-3-5 5552/5514
3.75ghz 15x250 2.5-3-3-5 5783/5772

i wasn't able to get 1:1 ratio above 250 since my p4 won't run over 250fsb. i didn't have a chance to run on my amd rig either. i somehow crashed my amd rig and have to reformat.

i don't have much time to do other benchmarks either, i will be really busy till friday. i'll try to do some other tests during weekend.

anyways guys, this ram might be HUGE!!!

ps running memtest @ 270fsb. will post some results later

***EDIT***
270mhz @ 2.5-3-3 PASSED with no errors!
however, comp refused to boot @ 280 - 2.5-3-3. will try loosen the timing a lil.
currently testing 275mhz @ 2.5-3-3

***EDIT #2***
275mhz 2.5-3-3-5 PASSED!!!
however, looks like this is the limit for my rams. comp won't boot @ 280fsb even with 3-4-4. overall this is some AMAZING SPEED :eek:

hopefully others will post their results also.

awesome results hope mine will be as good :D
soon as i get home today im going to throw my lonely 512 stick in if it can even come close to that ill order the 1gb kit

im curious to know what this ram could do with a little more voltage. most everyone ive seen using tccd based ram has been giving them between 2.6-2.8 vdimm does anyone know off the top of thier head or could post a link somewhere that says what the tccd chips are able to hold comfotably?

hawtrawkr said:
awesome results hope mine will be as good :D
soon as i get home today im going to throw my lonely 512 stick in if it can even come close to that ill order the 1gb kit

im curious to know what this ram could do with a little more voltage. most everyone ive seen using tccd based ram has been giving them between 2.6-2.8 vdimm does anyone know off the top of thier head or could post a link somewhere that says what the tccd chips are able to hold comfotably?

Based on most of what I have read, with a few exceptions, it doesn't appear to scale well with additional voltage beyond this range. There are always those guys giving stuff extreme voltgage and swearing that is the reason they were able to hit xxx. To me, this is one of the plusses about this ram, you don't need to mod your board to be able to get kick-butt performance. Stuff like this could put a hurting on DDR Booster sales. :)

homer77,

Excellent news!

You've got a bunch of guys excited with this news...not to mention the order-taking software at newegg. I suspect with just little bit of test results, half of the guys that were sitting on the fence and going to take the plunge and order this stuff.

I expect to receive my 2x256 pack today, delivered to my place of employment so those babies are coming home with me tonight.

Last edited:
great news, i wonder how well they will scale with 3.2.3.5 timings?? and of course the maniac in me wants to know what 3.3+volts will do? (besides making them hot) lol.

JayliN said:
grrr, im sold. Cancelled my previous order and spent the extra money on this gold mine. I figure since dual kits for its competitors are priced at at least $324 (OCZ Platinum Rev2 at newegg) this dual kit is a steal at $245. Hopefully with the high price comes high resale value in the future. Will be doing a review of these on an A64 rig during the weekend if not done already by then.

JACKPOT!

Keep in mind the early TCCD results and the A64 are iffy. I'm not trying to tell you what do to, but you might want to go back and read that Anandtech review, plus the one from Liquid3D, which is linked in the last page of the "Best Ram" sticky of this section. If you can't find it there, it was at the Madshrimp site. If I remember correctly, he didn't get over 220 with his Corsair XLs on his A64 rig.

Reefa_Madness said:
Keep in mind the early TCCD results and the A64 are iffy. I'm not trying to tell you what do to, but you might want to go back and read that Anandtech review, plus the one from Liquid3D, which is linked in the last page of the "Best Ram" sticky of this section. If you can't find it there, it was at the Madshrimp site. If I remember correctly, he didn't get over 220 with his Corsair XLs on his A64 rig.

I'll look deeper into it when I have some more free time. Someone with an A64 rig has to take the chance and test this ram out for the rest of the A64 users right? If it happens to be me to end up with an expensive failure, at least it will benefit the rest of us. A contribution to the forum wouldn't be a total loss. Its probably too late to cancel the newegg order anyway :D

homer77,

just thought I'd check in before I was out the door to work and you just made my day with your test results :D

w00t! I want my 2x512's now badly ;)

JayliN said:
I'll look deeper into it when I have some more free time. Someone with an A64 rig has to take the chance and test this ram out for the rest of the A64 users right? If it happens to be me to end up with an expensive failure, at least it will benefit the rest of us. A contribution to the forum wouldn't be a total loss. Its probably too late to cancel the newegg order anyway :D

ill be testing the 2-2-2 on my a64 later today
ive read the reviews with regards to the tccd and a64 combo but i would really like to see what it does first hand and if results arent so hot in a64 rig ill toss it in my intel. this ram truly does sound incredible though.

JayliN said:

FYI: At newegg, you login to your account, and as long as the order has not been processed, one of the options will be the opportunity to cancel your order. It is probably not too late, should you change your mind.

And you are right, someone has got to test it, so you might as well be the one, right. That's what I figured when I chose to be guinea #1, thing is now that homer77 got his and tested it, I get no glory. Darn! Darn! Darn! Such is life, you snooze, you loose. Just kidding, of course.

Well, either way, I just wanted you to know that I believe you still have a choice on whether to cancel your order or not. Besides, you might need this info for a future order.

I'm dying to hear how well the 2x512 (2-2-2-5) ram works.... I need to get some new ram and this would do just fine if it does well in an NF7.....

Reefa_Madness said:
FYI: At newegg, you login to your account, and as long as the order has not been processed, one of the options will be the opportunity to cancel your order. It is probably not too late, should you change your mind.

And you are right, someone has got to test it, so you might as well be the one, right. That's what I figured when I chose to be guinea #1, thing is now that homer77 got his and tested it, I get no glory. Darn! Darn! Darn! Such is life, you snooze, you loose. Just kidding, of course.

Well, either way, I just wanted you to know that I believe you still have a choice on whether to cancel your order or not. Besides, you might need this info for a future order.

Reefa_Madness,

Your input is greatly appreciated. I just looked into the article at madshrimps. It seemed like Liquid3d attributed the poor memory overclock to a poor performing motherboard. At Anandtech, the corsair xl was overclocked to 233 (compared to 253 on intel platform) with the belief that the ram can reach even higher speeds with the right SPD tweaks.

Although this all discourages me some what, it seems to me like the poor overclocking can be improved with the right settings and a good performing motherboard. Again, thanks for bringing this issue to my attention.

EDIT: And it also seems that these issues are more specific towards the Corsair XL series. The Samsung module at anandtech still managed to reach 245 (compared to 253 on intel platform).

Back