• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prescott Heat reduce hugh drop this is how

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Meridius

Registered
HI all

I have had a prescott for sometime now and found that my chip which is a 3.6 got abit hot, so i wanted to do somthing about it.

I bought a thermalright sp-120 with enermax 120mm fan on it with artic silver 5, now the thing was is thta my temps only droped about 1c to 2c and that it when i replaced my heatsink and fan for the xp-120.

the big difrance was witht he fan instead of the fan running its balls off at a 3800rpm to keep the heat down my xp-120 and enermax was only running at a low sound of 2000rpm and keeping the chip 1c to 2c cooler but like i said it was not good as i was getting 69c at load.

so it was time for some real test to be done to find out how to cool this baby.

i only have 2 fasn in my pc the cpu and psu fans as i love quiet pcs mine sounded like a tank until

1. i put the outtake fan at the rear to 5v instead of 12v supper sound free
2. i had a enermax ontop of my cpu
3. i got a antec neopower supper silent psu
4. i got a heatsink only for my graphics card the zelman

but the temps where 50c case temp at load and 69c cpu at load

so the question is what did i do well i wanted to try out the whole in the side thing but as i did not want to cut a hole in the side of my case i use some cardboard to try it out first.

I got some cardboard and cut it the same size as the side panel and then put a 120mm fan hole in the side to test it and here is the results

my room is very smaal and had my heating on full belt so the room was off the map in the heating

SIDE ON
LOAD IDLE
CPU = 69c 56c
Case= 50c 48c
PSU = 1300rpm 1050rpm

SIDE OFF
LOAD IDLE
CPU = 65c 49c
Case= 43c 41c
PSU = 1569rpm 1050rpm

SIDE ON + HOLE
LOAD IDLE
CPU = 67c 53c
Case= 47c 46c
PSU = 1250rpm 1050rpm

SIDE ON + HOLE + DUCT
LOAD IDLE
CPU = 62c 45c
Case= 41c 39c
PSU = 1450rpm 975rpm

as you can see having the (side off) made my system cooler, having the (side on with a hole) made it abit more hotter but still under the (side on) option but what made the biggest diffrance when adding a duct it made the whole pc coller than having just the side off.
as i said it was wth the room full heat but when i normaly use the pc i get about 35c case temp and 48c cpu and idle and 39c case and 61c cpu full load

so taking the sid eoff is just no good for the prescott or is it to just cut a hole in the case you have to duct the hole to the cpu to get the most from it and to get the best case temp down i got around about 9c drop in case temp and 8c cpu temp drop it make alot of diffrance to do this mod to your case

oh i forgot when my cpu had no hole or duct and i was getting 69c cpu and 50c case temp my fan was spinning at 2000rpm but with the hole and tube i got 61c cpu and 41c case temp with the fan running at 1500rpm so 500rpm slower and lsee sound levels from the fan and alot less heat to.

i hope this helps you all in trying to cool this baby down it looks like intel where right when thay siad to duct the cpu.

alos is there any exellent 120mm fasn that can go slower than 1500rpm might try one tosee what happens anything like 1000rpm to 2000rpm fans ??????

thanks all

Kewl, nice testing, ducts are the way to go.

Did you try turning your HSF around and blowing the hot air out the duct rather than pulling cool air in? This will lower the case temps and could give you a few more degrees of cooling on the HS too.

Remember to open some holes at the back of the case to allow air to flow in.

antone know a good 120mm fan that runs from 1000rpm to 2000rpm

have not tried reversing the fan might do

Back