• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Processor Requirements

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MVC

I missed having the first post, so I guess I'll settle for second.

I was thinking of using an older Prescott (530) system to build a MythTV box, but I was reading articles that said a "modern" system should have at least a 3.2 GHz processor. The 530 is only 3 GHz so.... Off hand, I suspect that the old 530 chip would do fine, but am I wrong?

I'm thinking I'll do my new desktop machine in January/February so I'll have the old hardware available in March (give or take). Can I use the old hardware or will I need to do some upgrading?

Well, you may just have stumbled into one of the myths (pun intended). Your proc is only 3GHz? Oh noes! someone is stoled you megahurts my friend. You know something, I have an old 800MHz lappy that will play DVDs acceptably (just as long as I am not trying to do too much else with it). You will be fine with your proc.

Hey, I've never built one of these before so I'm reading, which'll always get me into trouble :). But, you get the idea. I don't know what the "real" requirements are for dealing with multiple video streams (I want to watch one channel while recording another). And, I'm trying to get away from proprietary software, so since I'm going to have some "old" hardware in a few months I thought I'd build myself a new toy and learn something in the process.

I believe the rule of thumb is if your capture card has hardware encoder(s), like the hauppauge cards, then you even further reduce the CPU speed requirement. If the capture doesn't have hardware encoding, thus requiring the CPU to handle that task, the CPU will need to be a bit stronger (usually 1.8 ghz or so)

back in the day they used to say a 1.47 was the hot setup , for anything you needed to do . Video encoding wasnt a thought back then but just your average day run of the mill HTPC , a 1.4 was fine and dandy

Now that goes back 3 years to when I did a whole lot a research on HTPC , and I cant see that much changing other than the fact you prolly cant get 1.4's readily anymore unless you go to Monarch , oops scratch that dont go to Monarch .

that will run a DVR box just fine.... heck i ran a old 500mhz celleron with a 9800 AIW... i could recorde tv shows with only like a 1% frame drop.... now that i have a 2.8ghz P4 northwood it never drops frames.... build the box and have fun. :attn:

now the question is ... are you going to buy this old processor... because if you live close to a frys you can grab a e6300 and ecs mobo for CHEAP 150 bucks.

Ah well, I spent some time over at the MythTV web site to see what they have to say on the matter. As it happens, they do not have a regular HCL to work with but they do have some discussion and a database of what equipment people are actually using.

So basically, it is true enough that the better your equipment the more you will be able to do. And yes, having capture cards with on board processors is going to take the load off of the main processor. That much being said, it seems that there is no loss for people working with two HD streams at the same time on 2 GHz machine. So you should be just fine with your proc.

3.0GHz seems like plenty.

I mean you could get the extra 200Mhz through overclocking, easily, no? :D

David said:
I mean you could get the extra 200Mhz through overclocking, easily, no? :D
Actually, that's the one thing I really wouldn't want to do with this chip. It's a Prescott and runs hot as hell. The XP-90C keeps it within bounds with not too much noise but if I overclocked it I'd have to start looking for a new way to cool it. And, I'm not water cooling an HTPC--I don't even want to think about where the radiator would go :eh?:

MVC said:
Actually, that's the one thing I really wouldn't want to do with this chip. It's a Prescott and runs hot as hell. The XP-90C keeps it within bounds with not too much noise but if I overclocked it I'd have to start looking for a new way to cool it. And, I'm not water cooling an HTPC--I don't even want to think about where the radiator would go :eh?:

If your chip runs hot enough that fan is too loud, you may wish to underclock it. It was recommended to me to underclock my Athlon XP-Mobile 2500+.

the key is to use a hardware basic tuner card, like PVR-150, etc. that way, your CPU isn't doing much for the capturing. my old HTPC was a P4 3.2ghz Prescott @ stock speed (too hot to o/c especially in a HTPC case)!! CPU isn't too high of requirement until to move into the HD zone. you will be more than fine IF you are staying in SD video and not crazy about upconverting your video.

as for watching and recording 2 different channel at the same time, you'll need 2 turner card and 2 STB (set top box) in order to do that. PVR-500 MCE is a good dual tuner card that I'm using.

Back