• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Bumble Bee by IndiMint & OLMI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Suran said:
The problem with yellow film is... er... air doesnt go through it. :p

They do make yellow LEDs. I used to have quite a few. :/ Keep looking!
Are they actually yellow? Like bumble bee yellow? Or are they sort of orange-ish?

if it were me, id take a 9v battery or something and test out every led at every electronics store. if that doesnt work, get some white ones and maybe that filter crap they use for stage lighting. i assume u could get that at camera and film stores, or something like that. heh, or you could use yellow christmas lights :p

stikphysh said:
if it were me, id take a 9v battery or something and test out every led at every electronics store. if that doesnt work, get some white ones and maybe that filter crap they use for stage lighting. i assume u could get that at camera and film stores, or something like that. heh, or you could use yellow christmas lights :p

If you plan to use a 9 volt battery, you better be prepared to buy every LED you 'test' (more of burn out).

Hehe. We don't really want to go out testing every LED possible. Does anyone know where to get a truly yellow LED?

BTW, you can use one of those little round 3v batteries to test LEDs.

OLMI said:
BTW, you can use one of those little round 3v batteries to test LEDs.

Just as a warning, you can't do that to EVERY LED out there... Mainly just blue and whites I think. I just looked on eBay for yellow LEDs.. They have a max forward voltage of 2.4 volts... I tried using 2 AA's to test my new red LEDs that used 2.4 volts max.... Just say I'm short a LED now.

That's weird... Are you sure you have the anode and cathode hooked up correctly? I didn't know you could ruin LEDs like that.

Yep, long side is the anode, short side is the cathode, bla bla... I think if I did hook it up backwards, it would be able to take more volts than 3 before it burnt out.

Last edited:
YAY ANOTHER UPDATE! :O

Thanks for all your patience with our laziness. :)

IMG_0082.jpg

Here's another picture of the old case that I forgot to include in the previous update.

IMG_0083.jpg

We decided to cut off the old power connectors that come with PSUs still. Here are the severed wires.

IMG_0051.jpg

We used some really sticky tape to make sure nothing would short. We didn't have any electrical tape. This was the next best thing.

NOW IT'S TIME TO MAKE THE WINDOW!

IMG_0056.jpg

First, we covered everything with masking tape to prevent scratches.

IMG_0060.jpg

We used our drill press and a manual nibbler to make room for our pneumatic nibbler to start its work. :)

IMG_0061.jpg

We looked at how much space there was between the pneumatic nibbler's cut and the ruler. It was 6/32 in.

IMG_0063.jpg

Here's the first cut! VERY STRAIGHT, EH? It went very well, and the ruler stayed in place thanks to our super duper clamps.

IMG_0064.jpg

Here's a better look at the first cut. It looks a little beat up, but we filed down all the rough parts. There weren't any scratches on the front.

IMG_0066.jpg

Almost done! We enlarged the hole on the bottom left a bit because we needed to get the pneumatic nibbler out.

IMG_0067.jpg

All done! YAYYYYYYYYYYYYyyyyyy

IMG_0069.jpg

Looks really nice on the case. No acrylic there, yet.

HARD DRIVE MOUNTING! :O

IMG_0070.jpg

There wasn't enough space for both hard drives if we wanted to put them in backwards, so I filed a bit.

IMG_0071.jpg

The filing wasn't adequate for cooling, so we decided to drill new holes a bit higher. Here I am, lining up the drill.

That's all for now. :) More coming soooooooon!

thought I was gonna be checking out a new mod but instead I get a "love story".... lol. glad you two got back together. The case is coming along great, keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing the finished product. :thup:

I agree the window does look very professional. I was wondering how one of those nibblers would work. I hate the manual nibbers, ahh bad memorys, lol. I may now pick up a pnumatic (sp?) nibbler.

love the pneumatic nibbler thing looks like fun...

i wish i had the things to mod properly, my dads an office worker and im 16 and unemployed so theres no tools and no money...

i dont even own a dremel :(
oh well at least i can hang out here and watch the action

I bought two more LEDs from xoxide.com, but they were also orange. Since they messed up lots of other things in the order, they're sending two additional yellow LEDs in case they sent orange ones by accident.

Silent Frog here on the forums did a really neato mod with a ton of yellow LEDs (in the Case Mod Gallery) and he told me that his LEDs had yellow plastic unlike the clear ones that I've been buying, so I'm looking for ones like that.

The computer is already up and running even though we haven't finished the whole mod. OLMI just needs to get off his lazy bum to post some pictures. :D

Sorry we're lagging. :) indimint has decided to stay here instead of going off to college, so there is no dead line, and we're being lazy. Here's the only new picture I have because the camera isn't in my hands right now:

IMG_0080.jpg

Also, could this thread be put into the new neato project log section? :D

Back