• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSN Firmware 2.4 is Out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
The big news:

In Game XMB!!!!!!

In-game chat doesn't work yet though.

In Game Music!!!!

Doesn't work in GTAIV though

TROPHIES!

I didn't give a damn about "Achievements" I care even LESS about "trophies." Am I the only person left on earth without OCD?

You cannot access in-game XMB while watching DVDs or Blu-ray, or while playing PS1/PS2 games. (Not even PS1 classics from the store). In the PlayStation Blog FAQ they said they were looking into getting in-game XMB working for movies.

Games need to be PATCHED to support custom soundtracks, even with the new update. To date, NO GAMES support custom soundtracks through the XMB.

Games also need to be patched to support trophies. Almost all games will NOT have reteroactive trophies (there are a few exceptions) because otherwise people could trade old save games to trophy *****. The following games have been patched with trophy support:
- Super Stardust HD

the update was over hyped and i am hugely disappointed with it :/

I don't think it was overhyped as such... I just think it took FOREVER to come out. (It was supposed to be released in 2.20... then 2.36... then 2.40... which took forever.) So not so much hype... but a LOT of waiting.

For all that, I really like it. It's a giant leap in the right direction. It'll just take game publishers a while to get things patched up. Then we should be off to the races.

well i agree its a move towards the right direction but currently xbox live is still much much better than psn experience as far as i am concerned, it is so much more convenient for me to setup matches and play multilayer on live than on PSN

I think this firmware update borked my PS3. I installed the update, let it do its thing, rebooted, and now I have a bluish-greenish screen with a moving ribbon, but nothing else. The hard drive light does not blink, and no controllers respond.

Turning off the console manually and then turning it on results in the same screen.

:-/

EDIT: Now when I turn it off and back on I get absolutely nothing but a blank screen.

EDIT2: Apparently I'm not the only one who's had this issue:

http://kotaku.com/5021458/ps3-240-update-problems-and-solutions

The early solution is to turn off the PS3, remove the hard drive, format it in a PC, and then reinsert it into the PS3, turn on the PS3 and then follow the prompts that lead to formatting the hard drive. Perfect. :bang head

Upon formatting the system settings and account details are retained but any game saves, demos, videos, music, pictures, game data, etc. anything stored on the drive is gone.

Last edited:
The big news:

In Game XMB!!!!!!

In-game chat doesn't work yet though.

In Game Music!!!!

Doesn't work in GTAIV though

TROPHIES!

I didn't give a damn about "Achievements" I care even LESS about "trophies." Am I the only person left on earth without OCD?

Yeah, I don't understand the lure of trophies and achievements. I have a friend with a 360 that just thinks Achievements are the greatest thing, but nothing short of it being amazing content is going to make me replay content I've already played.

Yeah, I don't understand the lure of trophies and achievements. I have a friend with a 360 that just thinks Achievements are the greatest thing, but nothing short of it being amazing content is going to make me replay content I've already played.

Well a couple of the achievements were cool... Like the ones in Crackdown were ridiculously fun... But GRAW? Gears of War? Rainbow Six Vegas? Nobody was gonna do ALL THAT stuff! Ghost Recon would have something like "Kill 99,000 people online." And RSV would have "Kill eight people with the same bullet..."

As a matter of competition... yeah. Why not steal the idea of achievements? It's one less thing that Microsoft has to say "Well WE have..."

Once all the games (except for COD4 of course) are patched-up for in-game music and they figure out the whole in-game chat thing... it'll be a simple matter of Sony leveraging their intellectual properties.

But now that I can at least SEND A DAMNED MESSAGE from in-game, Xbox Live seems far less relevant. In-game chat is only a matter of time. And since I never downloaded any movies from Xbox Live, the two services will be identical as far as I'm concerned.

Just to let people know Sony have pulled the 2.4 firmware because of problem with users trying to install it plus a few have reported it has bricked there systems.

Also the Super Stardust HD 4.00 patch to add trophys has also been pulled as it crashed systems when it tried to update all this hype and long wait for an update that is causing more trouble thats it's worth. Also Super Stardust had the online co-op expansion up on it's in game store but they pulled that due to problems with 2.4.

Managed to get both updates thou before they pulled them.

I think this firmware update borked my PS3. I installed the update, let it do its thing, rebooted, and now I have a bluish-greenish screen with a moving ribbon, but nothing else. The hard drive light does not blink, and no controllers respond.

Turning off the console manually and then turning it on results in the same screen.

EDIT: Now when I turn it off and back on I get absolutely nothing but a blank screen.

The early solution is to turn off the PS3, remove the hard drive, format it in a PC, and then reinsert it into the PS3, turn on the PS3 and then follow the prompts that lead to formatting the hard drive. Perfect. :bang head

Upon formatting the system settings and account details are retained but any game saves, demos, videos, music, pictures, game data, etc. anything stored on the drive is gone.

You can pull the game saves, videos, music, pictures, from the HDD then recopy them to your PS3.

wow i wont upgrading anytime soon then :confused:

wow i wont upgrading anytime soon then :confused:

I guess you won't! They pulled the firmware and haven't put it back up yet. :)

I downloaded and upgraded as soon as it came out: Works fine for me. I guess its just screwing with people who have linux partitions or something. What the hell happened to Fudge?

I still have the standard 40GB HDD in mine and I updated from moment it came out no problems even download the patch to Super Stardust but that had a problem with restarting and then downloading it failed twice.

I reckon it's something to do with the consoles with bigger HDDs in them and it's only a small few.

I still have the standard 40GB HDD in mine and I updated from moment it came out no problems even download the patch to Super Stardust but that had a problem with restarting and then downloading it failed twice.

I reckon it's something to do with the consoles with bigger HDDs in them and it's only a small few.

Friend of mine has an 80 gig system with a 300 gig hard drive... worked fine for him.

Back