• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU Buyer's Guide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
dustybyrd said:
i don't follow your comments....what do you mean?

this is the kind of sticky that doesn't need that many comments other than fixes and additions...
It's just a joke that nobody ever reads stickies. ;)

Well I've got an enermax PSU, supposed to be 450W. But I couldn't find this specific model on the web.

Let MBM speak for me:

Here's my secondary system running:
(Its running an old 4.3GB HD on the pic, normally a 10GB Quantum, the Volcano fan + 0 case fans)

MBM52.jpg

Here's MBM on my main rig:
(all the specs in sig + 80GB Maxtor 7200RPM, vid card @ 300/600, CDROM + CD-RW drives, the Delta + 3 case fans)

MBM51.jpg

PS. the +5v line doesn't even change when I up the vcore from 1.5 to 1.75 (1.78v MBM)

I've only really used two PSU's: an Antec TP430W and a Sparkle 350W.

Antec TP430W
A stable PSU, well built all around. The 12V seems low, but as larva had told me in this thread it is nothing to worry about. My 5V readings w/an O/C (1.9vcore), and w/a fan to represent load w/the PSU pulled from the sys, were reading at 5.02-5.03V all around.
The psu was said to use the Antec quiet system thingie...but it was louder than my Chieftech fans, so I'm guessing the dbA was around 33. Had a really good experience with it. Awesome PSU.

Sparkle 350W
Yet another stable PSU. I am currently at the specs in my sig, w/a 160GB hdd, a cd burner, o/c settings are at 1.9vcore 2.9vdimm, 1.7vdd. When I ran an 80GB hdd w/the 160GB it seemed to be taxing the PSU too much. Good thing the 80GB was going bye bye into another sys soon :) Haven't had a chance to test the rails yet. Might be able to soon...A very good PSU, but not yet awesome. I just wish it coulda held the 80giger in here too...

I hope that helps..:)

Fold and Frag on
Brian

dunno if i'm supposed to post here after such a long time...
but i know that a couple of israelis here have/had a SUNSHINE ATX cooler, a really basic one...
How can i help with putting it in the chart?

Ritalin said:
dunno if i'm supposed to post here after such a long time...
but i know that a couple of israelis here have/had a SUNSHINE ATX cooler, a really basic one...
How can i help with putting it in the chart?
Feel free to post wherever a thread is open. I think Penguin4x4 will be able to update the chart if you give him the specs, either by posting them here or via PM.

donny_paycheck said:

Feel free to post wherever a thread is open. I think Penguin4x4 will be able to update the chart if you give him the specs, either by posting them here or via PM.

yup yup, my PM box is always open.....*rushes off to clear his nearly full PM inbox* :D :D

You're missing the Channel Well ISO line yet - been seeing these around more and more often being referred to as ISO brand name units.

Oklahoma Wolf said:
You're missing the Channel Well ISO line yet - been seeing these around more and more often being referred to as ISO brand name units.

Updated, :)

All I can say is WELL DONE!!

I've been considering a new PSU since I started using MBM5, and discovered my +5.0v was 4.8.

With this thread I can see at a glance whats what, YEEHAH!

EERMM am i the ONLY ONE,,,,?????

thanks for an obviously comprehensive and meticulous table.
I have only one question-----what the hell does it mean??????
-------------------------------------How do i use it?

(hang on i've just counted on my fingersw and that s TWO questoins)

Re: EERMM am i the ONLY ONE,,,,?????

alex_ezakiel said:
thanks for an obviously comprehensive and meticulous table.
I have only one question-----what the hell does it mean??????
-------------------------------------How do i use it?

(hang on i've just counted on my fingersw and that s TWO questoins)

Have you read the other PSU stickies at all?

MoreGooder said:
Thank you for the awesome data!
Do you also have the noise ratings for them? I want to replace my noisy PSU!

Thanks in advance,
MoreGooder

Nope, as manufacturers do not list them. However, the Nexus, SilenX, and the Seasonic PSU's are highly regarded as being excellent quiet PSU's, :)

sorry I dont know how to read the tables.. so one is good? or can anybody teach me?

Back