• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU Buyer's Guide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yea, they are great. Very well made and stable. Very quiet too. I have the top of the range one without the lights (tg480-u01). If you get the top range model like me, and this is the same with many psu's, you get all the accesoris. Many of the things included with the one I have are not included with the prior models.

Welcome to the forums x2 :)

Decent quality, OEM made by Topower, however very poor customer service. For similar Topower units with better customer service, check out the OCZ Modstreams. Or even better, the Powerstreams. Other brands using Topower are Globalwin, BeQuiet, Aerocool, and A+GBP.

Welcome to the forums x2

Decent quality, OEM made by Topower, however very poor customer service. For similar Topower units with better customer service, check out the OCZ Modstreams. Or even better, the Powerstreams. Other brands using Topower are Globalwin, BeQuiet, Aerocool, and A+GBP.

Does this mean the above mentioned PSUs should be as good as like OCX? Like perhaps I cannot afford OCX but I can afford an 550w Aerocool.. ?

Another question, saw that the 12V is very important to look at when buying a PSU .. saw many - supposed to be good - PSUs with like 30A and more, that's nice I guess. But also seen many 2 x 12V ones with like 15 or 18A on each of the 12Vs, what's that? Is that okay or what? Saw that it's some ATX 2 or something but I really don't get it (curious bc I want to buy a new PSU and not sure if it's okay for me to get one of these or not).

bencze said:
Does this mean the above mentioned PSUs should be as good as like OCX? Like perhaps I cannot afford OCX but I can afford an 550w Aerocool.. ?

Yes and no... unfortunately, build quality at Topower seems to be a little inconsistant between their product lines. The P6 models OCZ is using are the top of the line for them, and nobody else is using them so far that I know. The lesser Topower models are still decent quality, but lacking the independant voltage regulation that makes the OCZ units such good units. Instead of being very good, I'd just call them good. Or, 3 out of 5 instead of 4 out of 5 if you prefer.

Another question, saw that the 12V is very important to look at when buying a PSU .. saw many - supposed to be good - PSUs with like 30A and more, that's nice I guess. But also seen many 2 x 12V ones with like 15 or 18A on each of the 12Vs, what's that? Is that okay or what? Saw that it's some ATX 2 or something but I really don't get it (curious bc I want to buy a new PSU and not sure if it's okay for me to get one of these or not).

The dual 12v rails is part of ATX specification 2.0. This can be very good for stability when you have a video card wanting 12v along with a power hungry CPU, as each will be on a different 12v supply, but this may pose problems for SLI in the future if you have two video cards that want more power than the one 12v rail can provide. Since you can't borrow from the CPU's power source, you'd have wasted potential.

If you plan on going SLI, I would suggest a supply with a good strong single 12v rail, like the OCZ units or Fortron's FSP550-60PLG. There are dual 12v rail units that will work for SLI, but they'll cost you. There's a Zippy 600w server oriented monster with dual 26A and 20A 12v rails, and it's not cheap.

If you don't plan on SLI, a good dual rail unit will work just fine.

OCZ is pretty expensive for me, low budget - $120 is really a max for me (and stuff here in Europe - especially Hungary - are more expensive than elsewhere). Fortron was recommended already by many, 36A looks more than enough for me ;) and it will be, I'm sure.

I just checked my Codegen - it is 300W, it's saying 16A on the 12V... anyway not sure it's true just wondering.

Voltages are:
3.3 - 3.15
5 - 5.08
12 - N/A (for some reason)

These according to MSI Core Center (latest bios and software).
Is that 3.15 V enough or not really? Just wondering. :)

Anyway the reason for me to change PSU is that Im afraid it can fry all my machine and I'm pretty much poor and invested a pretty high % of my money to buy the parts. :)

bencze said:
I just checked my Codegen - it is 300W, it's saying 16A on the 12V... anyway not sure it's true just wondering.

Voltages are:
3.3 - 3.15
5 - 5.08
12 - N/A (for some reason)

These according to MSI Core Center (latest bios and software).
Is that 3.15 V enough or not really? Just wondering. :)

It's more accurate to measure them with a multimeter, but they're looking ok as is. What concerns me more is the brand name - Codegen is about the worst of the worst. You'd do well to upgrade. If you can't find Fortron or Zippy in Hungary, the other Topower supplied brands I mentioned should do well for you. They won't be as good as the OCZ units, but they will be significantly better than Codegen.

*sigh* i think this is about the third time i've talked about this PSU, but oh well. the one i'm using below in my sig is very good PSU for the price(under $100). plus if you're concerned about extra wires blocking airflow or just really bad at wiring your machine then consider this as well.

CunningLinguist said:
Yeah, based on a lengthy discussion from another thread, I ended up choosing the Fortron Blue storm 500W model.

You have bought that Fortron BlueStorm 500W?

What is your experience so far?

Sound level, is that quiet aloso under heavy load?

the table is missing all OCZ PSUs and the antect neopower line as well....

whats the deal with the ultra x-connect? it got rave reviews since it was pretty much the first commercial modular psu, but ive read a few real life users who say it sucks... whats your experience with it last chance? does anyone else have it, know anything about it?

BrutalDrew said:
Thermaltake PSU's tend to droop their rails under load. They are not recommended.

Please don't take this as a slam, but I have got to be honest here. ThermalTake PSU's just plain suck! They are unstable pieces of crap! I had one, and after numerous tries trying to OC a good DO stepping SL7KC Prescott I bought a OCZ PowerStream 520- end of issue, it clocked to 3.8GHz with no issue at all. Just yesterday I got up the nerve to try 4.0GHz. The system will run no problem at 4.0GHz and is stable as can be. The system did run a little hot during benches, but that is because I could use either some water, or a faster fan on my HSF (Zalman 7700).

There are many good power units, but the ThermalTake isn't one of them. It caused me nothing but problems. The 430 I had didn't have the amps needed for these high power systems. Like was stated, it drooped badly! You could actually hear the dam*ed fans drop in rpm when any kind of load at all was put on the system.

Please people, if you are going to overclock, do NOT mess with a ThermalTake power unit. It will cause you trouble. They are OK for a stock system depending on what proc is used, but this is not stock system forum- it is an OC Forum and people here have alot of money tied up in expensive equipment. It takes a good power unit to power these things. I learned the hard way.

3DFlyer said:
Please don't take this as a slam, but I have got to be honest here. ThermalTake PSU's just plain suck! They are unstable pieces of crap! I had one, and after numerous tries trying to OC a good DO stepping SL7KC Prescott I bought a OCZ PowerStream 520- end of issue, it clocked to 3.8GHz with no issue at all. Just yesterday I got up the nerve to try 4.0GHz. The system will run no problem at 4.0GHz and is stable as can be. The system did run a little hot during benches, but that is because I could use either some water, or a faster fan on my HSF (Zalman 7700).

There are many good power units, but the ThermalTake isn't one of them. It caused me nothing but problems. The 430 I had didn't have the amps needed for these high power systems. Like was stated, it drooped badly! You could actually hear the dam*ed fans drop in rpm when any kind of load at all was put on the system.

Please people, if you are going to overclock, do NOT mess with a ThermalTake power unit. It will cause you trouble. They are OK for a stock system depending on what proc is used, but this is not stock system forum- it is an OC Forum and people here have alot of money tied up in expensive equipment. It takes a good power unit to power these things. I learned the hard way.

pity i didnt see this earlier :bang head ive just purchased the antec truepower550w to replace it is it good?

Back