• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quake 4: Comments

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
PC gamer gave it a 70ish they said

- D3 engine sux outdoors
- Single player lasts only 10hours and thats if u die a here and there
- Multiplayer is repetitive
- Pretty much an old game with new graphics

hmm.... well there ya go im not gonna be buying it thats for sure.

Well I picked this one up anyway at lunch. I've read so many people say it's like Q3 MP so I'd get it just for that reason cause Q3 MP owns IMO.

Story lines get boring, I like fast paced, kill or be killed games. Just tell me I'm a crazy psycho & give me a gun & thats about all the story line I need. :D

I mean, really, how many FPS can you make that are different? They are all the same to some degree or another.........

i will say that although i really do like the game the outdoor vehicle parts are lame.........they arent that long so its no biggie

Nick59007 said:
i will say that although i really do like the game the outdoor vehicle parts are lame.........they arent that long so its no biggie

Screens let me see how lame they are :rolleyes:

Are the graphics the same as doom3 or better? all the screen shots look like doom3, i know there using the same engine just wanted to know.

koss20100 said:

- D3 engine sux outdoors

Dude CSS has no single player, the multi can only be described as repetitive, and is an old game with new graphics and engine. Yet the most commonly played game?!? Don't not play this game because of what a review site said about it...
Hell they should have given every Valve game a 0.0 then (except HL2)...

Almost all FPS's fit into at least 2 of the categories you mentioned, and they don't all suck.

I'll post some maxed out screenshots if you like, although no AA will be on because when I enable it, all the textures become really low quality, its rather anoying.

I agree the outdoor bits are slightly odd, its as if they started them and then never added the finishing touches.

I'd say the graphics are better than that of Doom3, they don't look so ''plastic'' like (as my mate would say). It also seems to run slighty better than Doom3 considering how high the graphics have been set, then again I havent played Doom3 for some time it could just be me.

Scott.

koss20100 said:

- D3 engine sux outdoors

yup just got my copy of pcg. 70%. I was suprised. but that is still "good." I'm still going to give it a shot.

Well after playin this for a bit online, the MP part of it needs work. The maps are pretty small for as many people that are on. You would think they would make those bigger but guess not. Still fun, fast pace action.........

One map I was playing was so small & had a lot of people = horrible lag......

Can't wait for some mods or something though.

Oh you guys want high quality screenshots? FOR SURE!!!

Let me just say that the single player is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than Q2, it's better than Doom 3, and multiplayer is very akin to Quake 3. The game sometimes feels a lot like Quake 2, but then it will feel like Half Life 2 or Unreal 2 at parts. The levels have the chunky and angular Q2 feel, but it feels like HL2 because in the marine bases there are plenty of people around who look at you, react to you, etc. The vehicles remind me of Unreal for some reason I can't put my finger on. The explosions rival Call of Duty 2...this game pretty much has everything you want.

I'm a little peeved that they don't have native 1920x1200 support for my Dell, but I can live with 1600x1200@HQ (no AA in screenies).

I<3Quake
my.php

my.php

my.php

my.php

my.php

my.php

Lookin good fuzzba11!

Am I the only one who thought it seemed like Starship Troopers at the begining? Down to the anti-space craft charges thrown into space. lol

obsolete said:
Well I picked this one up anyway at lunch. I've read so many people say it's like Q3 MP so I'd get it just for that reason cause Q3 MP owns IMO.

Story lines get boring, I like fast paced, kill or be killed games. Just tell me I'm a crazy psycho & give me a gun & thats about all the story line I need. :D

I mean, really, how many FPS can you make that are different? They are all the same to some degree or another.........

obsolete will you be playing q4 on your xp-m machine? let me know how it plays. i have an xp-m maching at 2.58 ghz. v/c is a 5950u modded at 490/925. i might be able to borrow a bfg 6600gt oc.

Celeron_Phreak said:
Lookin good fuzzba11!

Am I the only one who thought it seemed like Starship Troopers at the begining? Down to the anti-space craft charges thrown into space. lol
Haha I definitely got that when I saw the huge fleet and the plasma balls hurtling up at them. The very first shot of the game is so cinematic, it's like Kubrick.

Last edited:
Yes sir, using the PC in my sig. Runs really well.........But the net code (especially for the smaller maps) is kina bad. Regardless of any PC it will lag on certain smaller maps if there is a bunch of people.

I have not tried SP as of yet, not sure if you meant MP or SP or both.......But I'm sure the SP part of it will run like a dream since net code is not involved.

Fr3@k3r said:
Graphics - 9/10
Gameplay - 8/10
Sound - 8/10
Multiplayer - 10/10.. THINK Quake 3 revamped with dx9 and the new engine, and some few tweaks...
Slower rockets and greater railgun delay make baby Jesus cry; but there are way cooler weapon models. I'm waiting for Rocket Arena 4...

Back