• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quake 4: Comments

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Captain Newbie said:
Quake 4 fails to be the innovative title that Q3A was.
Quake 3 was innovative? How so? Fancier graphics, same run and gun.

The Quake series seems to be about evolution, opposed to revolution. As in it tries with each installment to be better at what it already is surpassing its predicesor, rather than revolutionary, by changing it radically to try to make it better.

I Just played it, not impressed. The sp feels too much like D3 for my liking. The MP = bad maps w/ HORRIBLE flow and the movement is no where near Q3 (Q3 = best movement in the Quake series) I'll wait til UT2007, which probably wont be too impressive either ;).

I call Quake 3 innovative because, in my opinion, it defined what an excellent multiplayer shooter should be. It did it better than anything else at the time and is still a fantastic game.

The problem is, Q4 didn't do anything genre-defining like Q3 did, and I've come to expect genre-defining titles from Raven. I would rather have revolution than evolution :cool:, but that's just the sort of person I am, I suppose.

I'd have to agree with Captain Newbie on Quake 4. It isn't innovative. However....

Quake 4 is all about bring back the best hardcore action in single player gaming, and revitalizing an already existing multiplayer in hopes that the multiplayer part will be popular again. If you are a die hard action gamer, look no further than Quake 4 this year.

I personally love it. It's the first of the Quake series I've played. I've never played a game which required so much skill and sensory concentration. Thumbs up...

On another note...

No. Piracy is a crime, and we don't support that here. I would suggest you read the rules of this forum before posting such again.

-- Oni :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there still much of a market for dumb hardcore action though?

im pretty sure despite e-skeptics and piracy it will stand to make a hell of alot of money, the day people stop buying dumb hardcore action is the day they will stop developing it.

on quakeIV, having just finished FEAR before starting it - the AI / firefights feel quite tame, but in all its still quite fun just to plod through blasting things, the mp is nice and fast paced so im looking forward to trying to get into it and seeing whether it sticks on the competitive side of town - otherwise back to WoW :)

It was an ok game.Think quake 2 elements on the doom3 engine with Star Trek elite forces gameplay, lots of scripted sequences ,very short,very linear,and not much replayability in it.

All these new games seem too much like your in a movie rather than playing a game.To me this really kills replayability.

I hated how your fellow marines are all telling you to hurry and asking what took you so long in a game that has only a few hours of gameplay.

Still better than fear IMO.

The graphics were awsome,weapons were fun the story was great.
I liked how the marines would upgrade certain weapons for you.
I loved the vehicles.

got the game a few days ago, prolly 5hrs into it and i AM LOVIN IT! hardcore action and fun w/good graphics. currently running 1024x768 2x AA...havent tried anything else
1280x1024 w/2xaa isnt smooth.

what settings do ppl run who have x800pro/xl cards?

when i finish this, i got fear ready to go ^^

i think it's pretty alright, nothing special though

if anyone else is looking to use widescreen make an .cfg named autoexec in the q4base folder with the following contents (mine is 1680x1050 just change if you have different):

seta com_allowconsole "1"
seta r_customheight "1050"
seta r_customwidth "1680"
seta r_mode "-1"
seta r_aspectratio "2"
seta g_fov "110"
seta r_finish "1"
seta cm_backfacecull "1"
seta image_usecache "1"
seta image_usecachemegs "256"
seta image_usecachemink "3072"

(yes some of these are for extra stuff but it's the one i found via google and it works for me)

Still have not tried out single player. :-/

Working on F.E.A.R. still & I don't have a ton of time outside of work to just sit around & play games.

Anyways, 1024x768 with shadows off, no AF or AA, everything else maxed. Figured you don't need a ton of eye candy (or shadows) for multiplayer which is all I have played for Q4. Plays pretty good, but they need new maps. Feels way "too" much like Q3A DM. It's still fun though if there is not a ton of people, otherwise it just becomes a spammers ball.

roid said:
All these new games seem too much like your in a movie rather than playing a game.To me this really kills replayability.

Agreed.

I've had the game for a week now. Haven't had a chance to play the single player but the multiplayer is great. Tourney mode is really great and makes 1v1s go alot faster than in quake 3. The multiplayer seems to be a blend of quake2 and quake3 elements.

Bargin Bin at best for me, after playing a little at a friends. I would say it was better than PC Gamers review, but not much. Sure it was "pretty", but it needs to do more than that for me, needs to offer more which it didn't.

For example, Unreal Tournament was a great game in its day, UT2003 came out and a lot of people were disappointed with it (including myself), it was more of the same with better graphics, so with UT2004 Epic made some nice tweaks and made the gameplay better plus they introduced several new gametypes like Onslaught with vehicles. Onslaught was a major selling point for UT2004, it added that extra twist that other games were missing.

Has anyone gotten the game running on an ATi 9600/pro/XT? I'm curious as to why it's not listed in the system requirements... yet stuff like the x300 is...

I uninstalled it, still playing UT2004 w/ a dead community. But, there isn't any competition left, all the pros moved to Q4 due to, thats where all the money is.

ProperMethodz said:
I personally love it. It's the first of the Quake series I've played. I've never played a game which required so much skill and sensory concentration. Thumbs up...

On another note...

No. Piracy is a crime, and we don't support that here. I would suggest you read the rules of this forum before posting such again.

-- Oni :mad:
Oni... You should read before you edit.

There was no piracy listed on the link I submitted. On such a prestigious site too. I'd figure your mods here would know the difference between hacking, cracking, cheaters and piracy.

lol... you should be ashamed of yourself.

You seriously need to read before you edit someones post. Where in this (No. - Oni :sn:) thread, do you see any mention of piracy? Do you see any access to source which would damage the engine of Q4? Do you see a CD key posted?

Where do you see piracy on there anywhere?

You have basically just lowered my credibility on this site because of your lack in patience/knowledge to read what you were editing out.

I deserve an apology.

Last edited by a moderator:
ProperMethodz said:
Where do you see piracy on there anywhere?

I'm no mod so I have no say-so in the matter but maybe "piracy" wasn't mentioned but the word "hacked" was mentioned several times.

Here is a quote from one of the post.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxochico
this does what?.

It's a bunch of code that allows a person to have complete access to the engine outside of the game

so think -> cheats, hacks, other things... ~

cornbread said:
I'm no mod so I have no say-so in the matter but maybe "piracy" wasn't mentioned but the word "hacked" was mentioned several times.

Here is a quote from one of the post.....
It's a reference to what it's capable of. If you read further you'll see what his intentions are. He's not a cheater, nor is he promoting piracy. He has a jump on the SDK when it's released.

Intentions:
http://7hmgaming.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2699

Educational!

Back