• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quake 4 on Doom 3's engine?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CyberFed

I've heard that quake 4 is going to be built off Doom3's engine, if this is the case can we expect a horrible bug/lag filled multiplayer like in doom 3? I mean quake 3 was all multiplayer basically I would imagine Q4 would have a good mutiplayer. Lets face it D3's mutiplayer was a flop.

It is based off the Doom3 engine, so there iwill likely be many changes and tweaks by Raven to have it run they want it too.

And Doom3 multi player was left in the hands of the modding comunity. There is room for improvment.

CyberFed said:
I've heard that quake 4 is going to be built off Doom3's engine, if this is the case can we expect a horrible bug/lag filled multiplayer like in doom 3? I mean quake 3 was all multiplayer basically I would imagine Q4 would have a good mutiplayer. Lets face it D3's mutiplayer was a flop.
I agree, and yes it does use the Doom3 engine. A couple days ago we had pictures of it. (its in PCgamer's Nov04 issue) The place that had the pix hosted was forced to remove them by ID and Raven. :(

tbh if quake 4 is mainly focused on multiplayer like Q3 then the doom3 engine will perhaps not be the best to use. i hear there is a significant single player game aswell though, that continues the story from Q2.

Sentential said:
I agree, and yes it does use the Doom3 engine. A couple days ago we had pictures of it. (its in PCgamer's Nov04 issue) The place that had the pix hosted was forced to remove them by ID and Raven. :(

dude, the pics from gengamers, that you originaly posted is back up and running.
if I had the time I'd just copy it here.

(do a search for sentenal's post on pics of Q4.....they are worth a look.)

yet this game still seems to be a single player game, that should have some multiplayer included.
since the Doom3 engine has realy poor network code, I can't see how we are going to get a better multiplayer game with it.
if your getting this game for MP, then you might be making a big mistake...IMHO.

mica

edit....pics here.....LOOK.

They should add dynamic lighting to the Q2 engine and use that. Best multiplayer game ever Q2 was (is). HL can't hold a candle to it.

Feydd said:
They should add dynamic lighting to the Q2 engine and use that. Best multiplayer game ever Q2 was (is). HL can't hold a candle to it.

would have to agree with ya there. i am hoping q4 is more similar to q2 then q3. i know the storyline will be, but im talking multiplayer gameplay.

Back