• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

questions about benchmarking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaitlin4599

ok so heres the situation: i have an HP Z400 desktop pc with windows 7 16 gigs ram an rx470 and a xeon w3690 at stock speeds.

what im wanting to do is somehow benchmark my pc while im playing games. for example lets say im playing battlefield 1 i would wanna benchmark my system while playing said game so that after an hour of playing said game i can lok at the benchmark and determine if my pc is capable of playing said game any ideas how to do this?

long story short i wanna benchmark my system to see how well it can play the games that i own keep in mind im just looking to benchmark my system for games released in 2017 and 2018 games released before those years run fine

also i game on a 1280x1024 lcd monitor

A program called FRAPS wil measure your FPS, I think that's what you are looking for

i have fraps im looking for a way to play the game while at the same time being able to tell how well it runs on my pc at various settings in other words i wanna see how well my pc specs can run each game i own i.e. gta 5 has an in game benchie but my pc runs gta 5 no probs

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

A program called FRAPS wil measure your FPS, I think that's what you are looking for

fraps is ok but it just tells me the FPS im looking for something imilar to say an in game benchmark so that after an hour of playing i can stop the benchmark and see how well my system did running said game i was benching this is an example of what im looking for https://www.google.com/search?q=res...AUIDygC&biw=1422&bih=980#imgrc=ZSJ1795ul5dYNM:

Kaitlin, if you plan to play a game for one hour, then it's probably 'playable'. :shock:

'playable' is subjective opinion. Taco considers playable 30 fps or higher, while pizza may say anything less than 144 fps is unplayable. :shrug:

Use fraps to record a log... you hit a button, f11 I think, and it records min/max/avg (after you check that option off).

60 fps is the magical number as you likely know.

If the game doesn't have an integrated benchmark, it's not going to tell you looking nice and pretty if it's good. Just know 60 fps is most titles 'magic' number. It wont be on a silver platter in most cases. ;)

Catzilla has an extensive library of games it can check your rig against to determine if they think your PC is up to the task. http://www.catzilla.com
I know 60 fps is the "magic" number (assuming a 60 Hz refresh rate), but console games are limited to 30 fps and that doesn't seem to have hurt sales. If you play a game a few hours a week for a month before ever checking the Holy Grail of fps and don't see a problem, then dropping to 59 fps on big maps is a non event. I think some people rate their "gaming experience" with benchmarks instead of actual gameplay. A benchmark is designed to get the worst possible performance from your gear, a decently coded game was (partly) designed to get the best performance possible from as wide a variety of gear as possible. Who designs a game that only runs well for the 1% who have a $1000 card? Won't sell many games that way. :D

Catzilla is a bullsh1t bench and site. It is largely un-maintained so take a very large grain of salt with anything you see there.

I just figured the game rating system might be close to what the OP was looking for. The actual benchmark scores lack a certain...consistency. LOL

Back