• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radeon X800XL no external power required - Yea right!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
As for NYC, here's the most help I can give: The company J&R uses to do their networking stocks just about every computer cable known to man. It won't be cheap, but they should have it. I wish I could remeber their name of the place, but if you stop by J&R and ask one of the employees, they should be able to give you directions (it's on the 3rd floor of a building a few blocks away). You could also try and go to one of the many computer shops in the 33rd st. area. Try picking up a copy of Computer User and looking at the ads there for phone numbers and addresses.

Paul1 said:
I already ordered one from someone for $6 a week ago and it still isn't here. I'm flipping out now. I need to find a store that has one in the NYC area because I need it like TODAY, it's waaaaaay past the deadline (try over 2 weeks already) and I still can't even start up the computer because of it. :bang head

First off it was not a week ago, I mailed it out monday. Second, I don't know what the hell is wrong but check your PM box, I took a picture of the reciept from the post office that proves i sent it to you. Maybe it's just taking along time. If it doens't come in a few days I'll give you back your money minus the .83cents it cost me to mail to you, mind you First Class Mail.

Sentential said:
Do you have any form of messenger? Hit me up. Also who did you pay for the cable that never arrived? You should report him to a moderator for a perma-ban if he is being uncooperative

Excuse me sen but I'm not being uncooperative, sorry if I don't check my PM box every 2 hours. Paul is a big boy, I'm sure he can handle any problems he has on his OWN.. I already pmmed him willing to send him back his 6.00, I was just trying to be helpful and it seems USPS d*cked this up. He now has seen a reciept just to confirm shipment.

Oh and sen your a snake bud, can't trust ya as as I could throw ya.

Last edited:
demonR6 said:
That is odd, is that a branded ATI card too? I have an X800XL 256 I threw up on eBay and I can assure you it does not have that. Maybe just that card? *shrug*

I have an x800xl agp and it does take a PS connection 4 pin tho.

maybe this is an pci thing ?

pci has power on the port right ?

Hey guys, I'm a newb that just completed my first build. Well kind of, I had the same problem as this guy, I ordered an X800XL from Newegg and got a card that needs the 6 pin PCI-E connector. I'm currently waiting for the adapter to arrive, and in the meantime, I've found out that it is possibly a downgraded X850 (R480 core). So, I'm wondering if you guys can help me out. I want to know how I can tell which core it has, and if it is the R480, how can I overclock it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DESTRO said:
Hey guys, I'm a newb that just completed my first build. Well kind of, I had the same problem as this guy, I ordered an X800XL from Newegg and got a card that needs the 6 pin PCI-E connector. I'm currently waiting for the adapter to arrive, and in the meantime, I've found out that it is possibly a downgraded X850 (R480 core). So, I'm wondering if you guys can help me out. I want to know how I can tell which core it has, and if it is the R480, how can I overclock it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Destro, the easiest way to tell is to pop off the heatsink at look at the actual core. Somewhere on it it should be marked with the appropriate revision. If you don't want to pop off your heatsink, you should be able to use the latest version of ATItool to gather information about your core.

Nero is dead on. ATI tool is a quick and easy way to check.
ALL the PowerColor X800XL VIVOs I have seen use external Power.
Felt it was a big plus when I bought it.

Hey man,

If you don't get the adapter, shoot me a pm. I think I have an extra lying around. I'll send it over at no cost. Just pay for shipping. :)

Thanks for your help. I got the adapter and downloaded ATI Tool. It says it is the R430 core. What does "max core" typically top out at on an XL?

Ok, I tried "find max core" and it went up to 530 before I aborted. It would've kept going, but I didn't want to fry my card. Is it possible this is the R480 core? Would ATITool have stopped at the 430 or would it keep on going? I can post screen shots if that would help.

Back