• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raising the voltages

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Garfield

I know that raising the vCore (the voltage to the CPU) helps OCing in that it puts out more to the CPU, but does raising the vcore directly overclock the CPU? Or does it give you more leighway for OCing. Same with RAM and raising the voltage to that. Does it make faster data exchange? Does sending more electricity (voltage) to hardware make it faster? I just want to clear this up. :D

When your overclocking, your running beyond the manufactures rated speed. The vcore that they set matches exactly to what's in the core, just enough to power it stable.

And when overclocking you won't have enough power so you raise the vcore for stablity or whatever the voltage is doing that's making your overclocking difficult.

It necessarly doesn't make it faster, just makes it run at what your setting it at. It's like your running fan without plugs, in order to run them they need plugs...

Yodums

Yodums said:
When your overclocking, your running beyond the manufactures rated speed. The vcore that they set matches exactly to what's in the core, just enough to power it stable.

And when overclocking you won't have enough power so you raise the vcore for stablity or whatever the voltage is doing that's making your overclocking difficult.

It necessarly doesn't make it faster, just makes it run at what your setting it at. It's like your running fan without plugs, in order to run them they need plugs...

Yodums

Okay, I think I understand. Sounds like it's time for me to raise my vcore. I haven't yet and I've OCed almost 200MHz so far. I'll do that today. What do you raise it, about +0.10?

Raise it incrementelly, and overclock as far as you can get with the system stable. It doesn't make it faster, it makes it more stable, and allows you to OC further. If you have a 200mHZ oc already, you would appear to have a lot of leeway.

Okay, I already added a little more juice :)D) to the CPU. From about 1.79 to 1.82 and I'm taking your advice by going gradually. I'll continue to go a little more like you said. Thanks, fellas! :D

Back