• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram Heat Spreaders Worth It?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
In terms of heat reduction and overclockability no they won't make any difference at all but IMO they look pretty sweet. Gold wouldn't be my first choice but I guess it depends on the colours in your case.

Ive got vantec copper ones on my ram and they do cool the ram some. but not a great deal. as long as buy quality it will make some difference

No they dont cool your Ram a great deal but to me the main advantages are A. They Look Cool and B. They Help Protect Your Ram, mainly from getting killed by static...

Dont know if you've seen em but Thermaltake do some Ram Heatspreaders with fans built in to the top, i've always wondered how well they'd cool. They dont cost much either.

Heatspreaders are pretty much useless for anything but rdram.

Though here is a link to OCAU with an experiment on straping a delta 60x38 on top of a few bh5 chips.

Got about five more mhz for those who cant be bothered clicking.

As an alternative you could consider actual ram sinks; small per-chip heatsinks. These will cost you ram slots, but have a more realistic shot at cooling the ram down some. Whether that will have overclocking effects is an empirical question...

Back