• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RamSink Glue ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ray@VSK

What is the best thing to use to mount ramsinks, I've heard of others using apoxy but that kinda makes me feel wery to use a glue that isn't made to disperse heat ?

About AS epoxy. If you intend on making a permanent bond with the Ramsinks, do not use the Arctic Silver thermal compound mixed with epoxy, as it weakens the bond. If you are considering taking the sinks off, maybe for RMA reasons, then use some AS.

I got some (BGA) aluminium ramsinks (thanks SSS!) and thinking of putting them on my 9700 Pro - however I would like to be able to remove them in case I need to RMA - 2 + 1 questions come to mind:

- I know I can mix some epoxy with AS3 (not to make it completely permanent) but if I have to remove the ramsinks - isn't it going to leave some stains on the ram chips that would be noticed by the manufactor - I had put some AS3 with clips on my North Bridge and when I removed the heatsink I could still see some light white stain on the SB even after cleaning up with known liquids...So is that a myth or not?

- There is some already tape under the ramsinks - Could that be sufficient 1) to hold the ramsinks in place (would think so), 2) Cool decently or might as well not putting any?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

--fib

It depends on the tape. I know that our RAMSINKS use a very thin, yet extremely strong thermal tape that holds and doesn't impede cooling ability. It isn't as effective as AS3, but it is decent.

Back