• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Replacing fan on Silverstone ST56ZF

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WillJitsu

I got home tonight and the fan on my power supply is making some noises. Is it possible to replace this fan instead of having to buy a whole new power supply? If so, where can I order a fan that will fit?

Thanks!

The Fan used is a Single 80mm ball bearing fan by Sanyo Denki
So any 80mm quality fan should do the trick as a replacement

I got home tonight and the fan on my power supply is making some noises. Is it possible to replace this fan instead of having to buy a whole new power supply? If so, where can I order a fan that will fit?

Thanks!

format and re-install.

^^ LOLWUT? ^^

Just be aware that you are voiding the warranty by opening up the PSU enclosure....and be careful inside there!!!!!

you wanna watch fan thickness too, likely that a tornado wont fit inside there. but any standard thickness 80mm 12V fan will do the trick. you might (will) have to cut/splice the wires, but that isnt a problem long as you tape them up afterward.

edit: and on safety, obviously unplug the psu before opening it, and I've always used a screwdriver (with insulated handle) to short the 2 big heatsinks in there to the metal case. only place i've ever been shocked inside a psu was on the heatsink closest to where the mains enters the board, usually the left one if you're looking at it from the open top with the fan on the side closest to you. It is possible to be shocked elsewhere, just unlikely and it's never happened to me. and since you're just cutting 2 wires and splicing to them. there's no need to remove the circuit board unless you choose to unsolder / resolder the wires to the board, assuming they are soldered to it as on most cheaper PSUs.

^^ LOLWUT? ^^

Just be aware that you are voiding the warranty by opening up the PSU enclosure....and be careful inside there!!!!!

On this note if it's under warranty why not RMA it. If it's not then voiding the warranty isn't an issue.

On this note if it's under warranty why not RMA it. If it's not then voiding the warranty isn't an issue.

Yeah I didnt think of warranty issues, I almost always void warranties as soon as i get something. If it's just an annoyance / failure of the fan an RMA is absolutely fine, I'm used to opening up PSUs to put in fans that move more air.

Back