• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sandy's 5970 thread...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sandyduff

Great Scot! Member
Hurrah!!

My 5970 arrived this morning and ooooooh boy is it sexy!!

I have started this thread to ask a question and to post results, benches and overclocking results for this beast. Feel free to request benchmarks... i will do the best i can to test it...

First, i have installed the 10.3a beta drivers, and in CCC the dial for GPU temp and fan speed is not there and i can't adjust fan speed as the option isn't there... this also happens with 10.2... Any suggestions?

Before you clicked or after ? it suppose to gray out when you switch to manual , just try to move the slider.

theres a button that looks like a lock. Click it and it will become unlocked, that should allow you to change the fan speed and or OC the card in CCC.

theres a button that looks like a lock. Click it and it will become unlocked, that should allow you to change the fan speed and or OC the card in CCC.

No, there is no option to change the fan speed at all... it's like CCC hasn't installed properly... il try again with afterburner when i get home

Edit: Afterburner only lets me change the core clock speed... thats it!!

Edit 2: EVGA precision is the same... i can change the core clock frequency and nothing else!!

This is what CCC looks like... Anyone have any other ideas?

Attachments

• CCC.png
    CCC.png
    27.5 KB · Views: 802
Last edited:
Found out the problem... turns out the bios that xfx put on this card does NOT support manual fan control... WTH are they playing at?!?! Not only do they charge a lot of money, but then pretty much force you to flash the cards bios... and since i paid £600 for it, i am a little nervous!! Not chuffed...

What a terrible mistake by XFX. Are you absolutely certain that's it? Might want to e-mail them or call them to make sure. Can you BIOS flash any card?

What happens when you load it? Does fan speed go up automatically? It might still be a decent fan profile that they made for it, or does it run at whatever speed is the default no matter what you do with it?

What a terrible mistake by XFX. Are you absolutely certain that's it? Might want to e-mail them or call them to make sure. Can you BIOS flash any card?

What happens when you load it? Does fan speed go up automatically? It might still be a decent fan profile that they made for it, or does it run at whatever speed is the default no matter what you do with it?

Hey baris... yup that def is the problem coz when i want onto register my card, in the support and download section there was a bios update which "added manual fan control"...

Anyhoo iv done the flash and iv got fan control now... and boy is it loud!! Got a wee bit used to the accelero and how quiet it was... can't wait to water cool this bad boy!!

Just ran 3dmark06 for giggles, stock clocks and my i7 at 4GHz i got a score of 27,379... pretty decent...

:D

Hey baris... yup that def is the problem coz when i want onto register my card, in the support and download section there was a bios update which "added manual fan control"...

Anyhoo iv done the flash and iv got fan control now... and boy is it loud!! Got a wee bit used to the accelero and how quiet it was... can't wait to water cool this bad boy!!

Just ran 3dmark06 for giggles, stock clocks and my i7 at 4GHz i got a score of 27,379... pretty decent...

:D

Ah cool, I don't know much about BIOS flashing and thought it was a big deal. It's just downloading an update then?

The fan sure is loud, but it actually works pretty well. 5000 series have one of the best stock coolers ever!

Well now i have a new problem... every time i try and play a game i crash... i can get to the main menu but as soon as it starts to load the actual game i blue screen... too fast to see it tho... what's the option i have to disable in the bios to see it? I've forgotten... its strange how i managed to run 3dmark06 earlier on fine....

Grrrr....

Well now i have a new problem... every time i try and play a game i crash... i can get to the main menu but as soon as it starts to load the actual game i blue screen... too fast to see it tho... what's the option i have to disable in the bios to see it? I've forgotten... its strange how i managed to run 3dmark06 earlier on fine....

Grrrr....
Try running 3dmark again to see if it crashes.

hey sandyduff

nice work on getting the card

your right in that xfx haven't provided manuel fan control, so you have to flash the bios (which I think you've already done)

there are some settings you need to change for the 5970 to run stable unfortunately. It is a great card, but it has been riddled with small problems. these may be properly fixed with a later driver, but for the time being, you may want to change you 2d clocks, as apparently the clocks they card comes with is unstable. I read this in another forum and thought it might help.

p.s. change your sig from xfx 5970, to xfx 5970 Black Edition for the full glory (cause your aint any vanilla one its the B.E.)

hey sandyduff

nice work on getting the card

your right in that xfx haven't provided manuel fan control, so you have to flash the bios (which I think you've already done)

there are some settings you need to change for the 5970 to run stable unfortunately. It is a great card, but it has been riddled with small problems. these may be properly fixed with a later driver, but for the time being, you may want to change you 2d clocks, as apparently the clocks they card comes with is unstable. I read this in another forum and thought it might help.

p.s. change your sig from xfx 5970, to xfx 5970 Black Edition for the full glory (cause your aint any vanilla one its the B.E.)

Good point i shall change my sig... :D

Found out what was causing my crashes... multi-monitors... if i disable my second monitor i can run games no problem... this happens with 10.2 and 10.3 drivers... ATI should really get their act together and sort out these drivers...

Unfortunately i have to work today so won't get any benches done... but i do have the day off tomorrow so i'm sure i will get overclocking tomorrow... :D

woooooooooooooooooooooooooow u got it....pitty u had some early problems...though this can be expected with the 5970...drivers defs need work but still will be awsome once u get it up and running well...cant wait for some bechmarks

ohh PICS!

pics pics pics!!! :santa:

lol although if you are busy I'd understand

hope the card doesn't throw up any other problems. Ati really underestimated demand for this card, and thus spent the least time ironing out problems. But now with sales out the roof + fermi being released, its a safe bet that in a month there should be no probs left. For the time being I hope you don't have any other troubles, and if you do, that we can help sort them

Now go enjoy your card!

Back