• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sandy's 5970 thread...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
890MHz... 900MHz caused my pc to shut down during vantage... what sort of voltage is safe for the 5970? Currently using 1.174v according to msi afterburner

Attachments

• Vantasge5970oc.jpg
    Vantasge5970oc.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 422
I've used 1.225v with no reservations whatsoever - highest I've seen is 1.35v, and I personally wouldn't get nervous until I crossed 1.3v; but that's just me. :)

I've used 1.225v with no reservations whatsoever - highest I've seen is 1.35v, and I personally wouldn't get nervous until I crossed 1.3v; but that's just me. :)

Ha!! I got nervous putting it up from stock 1.05v!! I might stick it up to 1.25-1.3v to try and get over the 900MHz barrier... got a nice increase of 3000 GPU points in vantage with the oc... :D

If memory serves me correct, stock voltage for a 5870 is 1.15v.

Although do keep in mind that you've got a dual GPU card that will create much more heat and require more powwa too. But I still wouldn't be afraid to at least try 5870 voltage and maybe a bit higher if the temps remain at acceptable levels.

If memory serves me correct, stock voltage for a 5870 is 1.15v.

Although do keep in mind that you've got a dual GPU card that will create much more heat and require more powwa too. But I still wouldn't be afraid to at least try 5870 voltage and maybe a bit higher if the temps remain at acceptable levels.

Temps have been great... never gone above 70 degrees, fan has always been at 42% as well so got plenty of room there as well...

stock vid for 5970 is different from 5870, its lower. 5870 most of them are 1.162 unless they have the newer bios then its 1.175, XFX has a 5870 bios that is 1.125 but those are more rare.
With a sick card like that Sandy I would max her out on stock volts and be happy ! I almost got one but I ended up going the 5850 CF route.

Great thread Sandy, looking good so far! :)

Having the voltage up to 1.25 is a fine safe margin from what I've seen in the past. I'd probably hold off on 1.3v until you get a block on that sucker! :D

stock vid for 5970 is different from 5870, its lower. 5870 most of them are 1.162 unless they have the newer bios then its 1.175, XFX has a 5870 bios that is 1.125 but those are more rare.
With a sick card like that Sandy I would max her out on stock volts and be happy ! I almost got one but I ended up going the 5850 CF route.

The stock voltage on my card was 1.05v... was crazy low, but i suppose it does have slower clocks

Great thread Sandy, looking good so far! :)

Having the voltage up to 1.25 is a fine safe margin from what I've seen in the past. I'd probably hold off on 1.3v until you get a block on that sucker! :D

Cheers buddy :beer:

I should hopefully be coming into possession of some more water cooling parts very soon (trade for my CRT) so the only thing i will have to buy is the block for it... which is unfortunately £100... my wallet still hasn't recovered from buying the card!!

BC2 looks very pretty now... :D

The reason: it's being released on consoles which means a $100 xbox will have to be able to run it. The freakin consoles are poisoning pc games.

The console version is actually going to be like a watered down version of the pc version. Console games don't have aa or af and run at (usually) the lowest settings to ensure high fps. No one would buy ps3's if the system had the settings at high but only had 10 fps.

Update bump:

Waterblock has been ordered!! Hopefully get it watercooled on sunday... :D

nice, xfx black edition will be a beast with the watercooling haha... which waterblock did you end up getting?

it'll be sweet when it comes

Well it is done... not quite how i wanted to do it tho... i actually ran out of room in my HAF... i could have did some modifying to the case but i dont have the right tools for the job so one loop it is... two loops in the future, temps seem pretty good so far... 35 degrees on the 5970 using furmark...

Attachments

• DSCF0409.jpg
    DSCF0409.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 364
1 Ghz CORE!!!! lol

That is the aim... temps are pretty good too... i ran furmark AND prime at the same time, 5970 isn't overclocked yet... cpu was mid 70's and the 5970 was low 40's... obviously temps will increase as i OC the card but i don't think il be running them both at the same time again!!

I don't think she has it in her to do 1GHz... vantage doesn't work anymore for some reason so i've been using 3Dmark06... anything above 990MHz and it crashes about a minute in... i've settled for 975MHz... still a pretty good OC i reckon!! Considering a couldn't get very much out of my old 4870x2...

:clap:

Back