• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sandy's 5970 thread...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
NICE :drool:

How about with x4 AA ?

Muchos Gracias...

I wasn't expecting such a leap in FPS from the last time... altho last time my cpu was clocked at 4GHz and this time 4.2 but still... gone from 48 to 79?!?!

I'm working on 4xAA now... but it seems to crash, my overclock might not be stable... we shall see...

Muchos Gracias...

I wasn't expecting such a leap in FPS from the last time... altho last time my cpu was clocked at 4GHz and this time 4.2 but still... gone from 48 to 79?!?!

I'm working on 4xAA now... but it seems to crash, my overclock might not be stable... we shall see...

Use 8xAA instead, might as well go the whole hog! :D

Great results so far though, 79 fps?! HOLY :drool:

Yeh i am having some issues... the card now just refuses to run the crysis benchmark at anything higher than 900MHz... probably didn't help that i patched crysis... i havnt really pushed the memory speed yet, been a bit busy with college work!!

Why only 1150 Mhz for mem? I got my 5750 to 1265 stock. Do you get issues with pushing it higher?

MEM is not the bottleneck here. I agree it's probably capable of a lot more, but there will be little bennefit unless his GPU cores are pushed significantly higher ;)

Ok.... start from 890MHz and i'm gonna start working my way up till it crashes... it doesn't really crash, my computer just shuts down, then reboots 2 seconds later... no blue screen... no artifacting...

Also i think my results of 79fps was a fluke or a glitch or something... 56 fps to 79 fps with a bump of 85MHz on the core? Don't think so.... but hopefully il be able to reach that speed again...

Edit: 900MHz core now crashes about 5 seconds into the benchmark... have i really reached it's limit? I'm using the max voltage afterburner will allow (1.299v) altho xfx overvolt reads it as 1.2375v? Could afterburner be setting my voltages wrong/wonky?

Attachments

• Crysis2.jpg
    Crysis2.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
Now this is amazing... i upped my memory speed to 1250MHz, ran the benchmark and got an extra fps of 57... woot... then i remember Neural wanted an 8xAA run, so i did... and my average fps is the same!! Going from 2xAA to 8xAA brought the average fps down by only 0.5 fps!!

Attachments

• 8xAA.jpg
    8xAA.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 273
Weird :confused:

Looks like AA isn't working right....can you see a diff in the benchmark run?

Weird :confused:

Looks like AA isn't working right....can you see a diff in the benchmark run?

Honestly, no... it goes by so fast i don't have a chance to look at anything properly!!

What do you think about the voltage situation? Is there any other software which reads the core voltage for the 5970?

Edit: Ran benchmark with 8xAA forced in CCC... and get a higher fps?????:confused:

Attachments

• forced8xaa.jpg
    forced8xaa.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
Yeah...that's 2D voltage....check the box marked "Continue refreshing..."
then run the benchmark again, when it's finished, take another SS like that one and post it up :)

I think you're card may be throttling under heavy load with the extra voltage...

The 5800 series GPUs are designed with 8xAA in mind, so much so that they are optimised for this more than 4x (hence why I asked you to do 8x instead of 4x :D).

One way to see would be to disable Catalyst AI, that will turn crossfire off so you're running on one GPU, then the benchmark should be slow enough to see whether AA is working or not.

I bet that it is and that the card is just so fast the AA isn't the bottleneck anymore. :)

Remember how my 5870 held up in the test we did, it lost a lot less FPS than your 4870X2.

Yeah...that's 2D voltage....check the box marked "Continue refreshing..."
then run the benchmark again, when it's finished, take another SS like that one and post it up :)

I think you're card may be throttling under heavy load with the extra voltage...

Voltage goes up to 1.25v... Is there anything i can do about the throttling?

Very interesting thread, great work sandy! :D

Cheers buddy!!

The 5800 series GPUs are designed with 8xAA in mind, so much so that they are optimised for this more than 4x (hence why I asked you to do 8x instead of 4x :D).

One way to see would be to disable Catalyst AI, that will turn crossfire off so you're running on one GPU, then the benchmark should be slow enough to see whether AA is working or not.

I bet that it is and that the card is just so fast the AA isn't the bottleneck anymore. :)

Remember how my 5870 held up in the test we did, it lost a lot less FPS than your 4870X2.

Yeh i remember Neural... but going from 8xAA to 16xQAA shows NO drop in fps? I know the card is good but i dont think its that good... :D

Back