• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SAPPHIRE Dual-X Radeon HD 7970 OC vs SAPPHIRE Vapor-X Radeon HD 7970

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stealth3si

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7970 OC VS SAPPHIRE Vapor-X Radeon HD 7970

I learned there some differences noted below but I don't know what they mean for me as a consumer and if the $50 difference in price is worth the noticeable difference in performance.

1. The vapor-X is a GHZ edition card, it's basically clocked higher and it's a binned processor. The Dual-X is a boost card and it's not a binned processor. Is binned processor better because it was a better processor but has some of its features disabled?

2. The vapor-X has better PCB component design than the dual-x. Does the dual-x's lack of quality pcb design and flimsy board cause the card to warp or bend over time due to the gravitational weight hanging from a vertical case, thus causing BSODS and crashes?

3. Which one has unlocked voltage?

4. The vapor-x has better overclockablility, cooling and PCB design than the dual-x. Benchmarks would show there is a noticeable difference. Do you think an extra $50 is worth the noticeable overclocking difference in playing games tho?

Get the cheaper one...

The only thing I would say to look out for is to be sure to get a reference design board.

Neither have reference boards. Reference boards are the "stock" AMD board, ensures compatibility if you want to go custom water cooling or get an aftermarket cooler in the future.

1. Are you sure the Vapor-X is binned? This is an honest question...figuring which cards are and aren't binned is not an easy task, and more sources of information on this topic are always welcome.

2. You shouldn't have to worry about PCB warp.

3. Not sure on this one, sorry.

4. The performance difference in games is likely to be pretty minor.

Well I just found out the Vapor-X 7970 doesn't fit in my case. :(

For around $300~ though I am considering getting a 7950. They're certainly smaller and if I can find the right model to OC it to 7970 speeds I would.

Edit: I think I might go with the MSI TF3 7950.

Last edited:
Back