• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Set fans' speed based on the higher temperature

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Merecol

Registered
Hi guys.I am going to build a pc.I want to buy an Asus maximus viii hero and I want to build a water cooling system with one radiator placed on the top of the case that put the air out.With this system I want to cool cpu and gpu.Now I want that all the fans in my system are controlled based on the higher temperature that is detected in the system.For example:if cpu temperature is the higher between all the other component''s temperatures i want that all fans will be adapted based on that temperature...The same if the gpu''s temperature is the higher or if the hard disk''s temperature is the higher.Is there a way to do that?Is this a good idea?

Hi guys.I am going to build a pc.I want to buy an Asus maximus viii hero and I want to build a water cooling system with one radiator placed on the top of the case that put the air out.With this system I want to cool cpu and gpu.Now I want that all the fans in my system are controlled based on the higher temperature that is detected in the system.For example:if cpu temperature is the higher between all the other component''s temperatures i want that all fans will be adapted based on that temperature...The same if the gpu''s temperature is the higher or if the hard disk''s temperature is the higher.Is there a way to do that?Is this a good idea?

First of all, what's your system specs? Are you OC'ing? All ROG mobos have a fan curve in BIOS that you can set a specific curve depending on the system(case) temp or the CPU temp. You can always get a fan controller and set the fan speed manually whenever you play.

HI, yes I want to overclock:)Can I set fans' speed based on the higher temperature detected?

Yes, you can set fan speed according to temps in bios.

What size will be the rad? Keep in mind that for a minimum comfort, you want 120rad per 100w to dissipate.

HI, yes I want to overclock:)Can I set fans' speed based on the higher temperature detected?

As Tir above said and as I previously mentioned, you got a ROG mobo so you can set everything from BIOS. Now, depending on your CPU and GPU and how far you want to OC them, it also depends on the rad you should use. Can you tell us your CPU/GPU models etc?

If you are putting the CPU and GPU in the same loop, your best bet would be to control the fan speed by the temperature of the COOLANT in the loop.

When the coolant temperature goes up, you know that the GPU, CPU, or both are putting in heat that needs to be dissipated. The heat will go into the coolant. The coolant temperature will rise.

If you control fan speed by coolant temperature, then the fans will increase in speed as the coolant gets hotter.

Ok but if the chipset temperature is higher than cpu's? Or for example ssd''s temperature.In this cases how can I set the fan's speed?

Your CPU and GPU will be the highest temperature.

As long as you have good case air flow, disk and chipset temperatures will not be a problem.

Your CPU and GPU will be the highest temperature.

As long as you have good case air flow, disk and chipset temperatures will not be a problem.

From someone who just installed three additional thermistors...

(back of GPU/in northbridge heatsink/between two banks of RAM)

...it's just too much tinkering for so little gain of either cooling or quiet.

I may go back to it in winter when I don't have a window AC unit running 24/7?

Back