• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I ditch my case and make my pc a bench pc ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mikesamo

Hi forum I am considering ditching my 760t case and put my entire system on a bench . the reason I wanna do this is easier swapping of components in case ( no pun intended :D ) I wanna change anything or add drives or swap gpus I can easily do that without being limited by the fact taht my case doesnt have a hard drive cage anymore because I removed it to improve airflow. is it generally better to have an open bench for a sli setup since the heat isnt trapped . or am i wrong ? let me know what you think
chaw

Do you have cats or small children near your computers? If so keep them in a case.:)

As to the convenience of having an open bench it will really depend on how often you are swapping parts around. I am swapping parts at least a couple times a week so I find it convenient. The rest of my systems stay tucked in a case though as I only swap parts every month or so in them. Yes, a sli setup will breathe better in open air but the same effect can be achieved in a case with proper airflow. Have you considered a different style case like a cube with a horizontal mobo tray. It may offer you easier parts access and will help with heat removal from the sli'd cards as you can exhaust heat directly above them.

Do you have cats or small children near your computers? If so keep them in a case.:)

As to the convenience of having an open bench it will really depend on how often you are swapping parts around. I am swapping parts at least a couple times a week so I find it convenient. The rest of my systems stay tucked in a case though as I only swap parts every month or so in them. Yes, a sli setup will breathe better in open air but the same effect can be achieved in a case with proper airflow. Have you considered a different style case like a cube with a horizontal mobo tray. It may offer you easier parts access and will help with heat removal from the sli'd cards as you can exhaust heat directly above them.

thanks for replying . i created a thread earlier talking about how my sli setup was overheating and tbh i tried all i could. the only solution is to space the cards farther apart but i cant achieve that without a board or cpu change. I want a cheap or even free option to go with. theres no pets or children in the house so itll be pretty safe

I read through your other thread to catch up on your problems. Out of curiosity have you tried running with you case laying flat, with the side panel off, and a fan exhausting air up and away from the gpus. This would simulate a horizontal cube case or an open bench table and tell you if you will see better results.

I read through your other thread to catch up on your problems. Out of curiosity have you tried running with you case laying flat, with the side panel off, and a fan exhausting air up and away from the gpus. This would simulate a horizontal cube case or an open bench table and tell you if you will see better results.

never tried . I suppose I should . saves me from having to take everything apart
temps seem to have gone down by 2c i guess ?
91c still .. it actually runs hotter with teh case laying flat

Last edited:
never tried . I suppose I should . saves me from having to take everything apart
temps seem to have gone down by 2c i guess ?
91c still .. it actually runs hotter with teh case laying flat

So are you saying with the side cover off and the case standing it is cooler and when you lay it flat it runs hotter?

Last edited:
I have found the same thing, I just run with my case open so I can swap parts.

Do cases make video cards run hotter?? - Test Bench vs Case

I've seen it before. he isn't running sli so I don't know how accurate we can compare the two

What is your two cards temperature difference standing up with a open case vs laying down the case?

odd .. I'd expect open air cards to run cooler in opem air scenarios. guess that's not the case ( no puns ) xd

Do your cards run cooler with closed case? Like the video I posted of JayzTwoCents he had 1c cooler with the case closed vs open bench.

Do your cards run cooler with closed case? Like the video I posted of JayzTwoCents he had 1c cooler with the case closed vs open bench.

no closed case makes it hotter. only difference is in opem case both run hot . closed case the lower card runs a few degrees cooler

Looks like a open case standing is best for SLI?

So with all the information you have what are you going to do?

Back