• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

should i go extreme?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Drinkyoghurt

hey guys, i've seem an ad where someone sells its lian li case with a Prometeia unit for 175 euros(around $200). should i go for it and try to see if i can trade my stuff in and get it or not? it is missing cpu mountings, how much are those? are they easy to find?

here's the add

www.marktplaats.nl , in the search bar put this 7297167613 and press "Zoeken"

sorry but the site is in dutch, but you can see the pictures to see what i mean

edit: for ease i found a way to post the pics.

119228070.jpg.gif

119228075.jpg.gif

Last edited:
175 euros for lian li case and what looks like a prometia cooler its a good deal, the socket kits are easy to come by as for price depends on the cpu mounting.

but are they still to be found? and what kind of prometeia is this? a mach I? mach II?

btw i have another question, will running my cpu sub zero kill it within like 5 months or just decrease its lifespan?

It is a good deal if you can do the work to fix it yourself. Otherwise, you will have alot of money tied up in it after buying an evap and mount, having it brazed and charged. I would say you will have close to $500 in it, which could still be doable. It all depends on how much you can spend. Also, reading your question about running a cpu sub-zero reducing its life tells me you aren't very familiar with phase cooling in general. You may want to do some reading and decide if you really want to get into this game. It can be fun,but it can also be a pain, and expensive!

EDIT: I think its only missing the mounting hardware. Sorry, I thought it was missing the entire evap. If it is operational with the exception of the mount itself, buy it! Its well worth it even if you just resell it.

stockhatch said:
It is a good deal if you can do the work to fix it yourself. Otherwise, you will have alot of money tied up in it after buying an evap and mount, having it brazed and charged. I would say you will have close to $500 in it, which could still be doable. It all depends on how much you can spend. Also, reading your question about running a cpu sub-zero reducing its life tells me you aren't very familiar with phase cooling in general. You may want to do some reading and decide if you really want to get into this game. It can be fun,but it can also be a pain, and expensive!

EDIT: I think its only missing the mounting hardware. Sorry, I thought it was missing the entire evap. If it is operational with the exception of the mount itself, buy it! Its well worth it even if you just resell it.

its just that i posted this same question on another board where someone said it might reduce the life span to 5 months, but i thought it was crazy talk. and yes its only missing the mounting hardware, but those cant be hard to find or are they hard to find? and can someone tell me what model the evap is?

Pic of the evap end would help. Evap. enclosures can be DIY'd fairly easily.

Well I debated for a while on the same exact thing. Is it worth it? YES! It is. Look at my sig, I was able to get over 4ghz with phase on a E6400. However with a bad control board on my Vapochill XE2 and the stability issues which followed, I just switched back to water because I do need to use this PC on a daily basis. There is nothing more awsome then being able to push these CPU's to such high OC's. No my wife didn't understand it however it was still worth it. I would go for it and give it a try and enjoy it. Just be careful because phase can have an expensive learning curve if you do something wrong. Fortunately there is a lot of good info out there regarding phase, and you can learn from others mistakes. That also seems like a decent price for a used phase unit. :beer:

Back