• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Sidegrade. Is it worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

v1ks_

Hiya!

Here to get some opinions. :)

My brother in law decided to upgrade, or rather, get a new PC and gave his "terribly old one" to my father.

The terribly old PC is an i5 750, on an MSI P55-CD53, with HD5850.

Now, since my old man already has an IB i5, the "terribly old PC" is used by his Mrs as a word processor.

Basically, I have an option to swap my 555BE phenom to an i5, for the price of a new case (I have a mATX case atm). Do you lot reckon it's worth it, considering I'd be missing out on sata3 and usb3.0? Those are the only real cons I see.

Also, while this is not CPU related, I'll ask anyway. Should I keep my 6850 or get the 5850? PSU handles both and AFAIK 5850 is better at computing, is it not?

Thanks guys!

v1ks, I wouldn't say it's a side grade, that I5-750 will be a pretty big improvement over the 555be. As far as the gpu goes the 5850 will be an upgrade to the 6850. When Amd went to the 6k series gpus the 6950 was the upgrade to the 5850. My 5850 is a pretty good gpu it will overclock well, mine can run as high as 1010/1150 stock is 725/1000. I can play any game today without issue, though I may have to turn down the settings to high.

Eh, not sure tbh. I know their build quality is above average for that price range, but I've always found both hundred and three hundred to be butt ugly :d

I reckon I could get around $50 for my dragon slayer over here, if I'm lucky and someone is looking for a nice mATX case. I guess I could throw in some extra $30 on top of that... Sadly, the prices are ridiculous over here :(

Although I'm really going off topic here as well as over my budget, I've sort of set my eye on an Fractal Design Arc Midi, if I can manage to sell my Dragon Slayer for a reasonable price...

ETA: Ouch, forget the Arc Midi, I was looking at the mini one :/ Expensive...

Back