• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it time for a platform upgrade from Z97/4790K?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Finally switched over to the new build last week. Took me probably a week and-a-half to reinstall the bulk of my programs and games... I probably still don't have everything reinstalled.

The old Z97+4790K Build (It served me well, for ~5+ years.):
DSCN3764 Cropped.jpg
DSCN3766 Cropped.jpg

An old config with a cooling fan in front of the graphics card for additional GPU cooling:
DSCN4138.JPG

The new Build:
DSCN3773 Cropped.jpg
DSCN3775 Cropped.jpg

I later added an additional fan right in front of the graphics card, as I noticed it was getting warmer than I liked while gaming and at idle (not currently pictured). Kind of in the same spirit as I had done on my previous build. I perhaps care a bit too much about thermal levels and cooling in general.

I think the only change I would make is to swap the video cards around, the 4790K matches the 1070 better.

I'd actually intended to do that, just hadn't done so at the time as I was still using the Z97+4790K build as my daily driver. I just needed a graphics card in the new build to give video output so that I could install an OS and start on setup.

Well, what I'd intended to do was upgrade to an RTX 3070, but those are kind of impossible to find at sane prices lately (I'm not paying $1000+ for a $500-550 MSRP card).

Last edited:
Back