• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SMP2 introduces new points system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok, I was getting about 4800-5200 PPD in my Ubuntu VM.

Switched to WinSMP, and I'm getting about 5400-6000 PPD.

The 2 GPU2 clients on this machine are pulling the same PPD as before.

GPU priority = low
SMP priority = idle

Working great!

That's pretty much what I'm seeing. GPU production is unchanged regardless of the WU on the SMP2 instance. THe SMP WU is affected by the WU(s) on the GPU(s). 1888 point WUs have very little impact on the a3 WU, while 353 point WUs have a much more impact. GPU WU impact on Win 7 appears to be greater than on XP x64.

If you haven't folded with a passkey, don't switch to SMP2 or from SMP a2 WUs untill you've completed 10 a2 WUs with your new passkey. THe a3 WUs without the bonus give truly dismal ppd. At least add the passkey to all your clients to speed up bonus qualification.

At this point, I should have about 6 WU's in under the passkey, 5 of which have been A3 WU's. I have also put the passkey on my GPU client, although I don't think that is going to help much. As far as I know, once you have 10 SMP WU's in under the passkey (am I mistaken on the number?), the bonus should start rolling in. I am also sure that A1, A2, or A3 wasn't really of significant importance, as long as it was a successfully completed SMP WU. I have been noticing the A3's have been taking about 5-6 hours on my Q6600 at 3.2. If there is something I am missing, please point me in the right direction.

A3's are worth jack for points without the bonus, and you don't get the bonus till after 10 passkey'd WUs.
My a3's i've turned in so far (sans bonus) have been worth ~430 points each.

A3's are worth jack for points without the bonus, and you don't get the bonus till after 10 passkey'd WUs.
My a3's i've turned in so far (sans bonus) have been worth ~430 points each.

I could have sworn mine said 470. I could be wrong though. I will have to take a look at EOC again. Either way, at 5-6 hours per WU, it shouldn't be too long before the bonus starts kicking in.

Putting the passkeys on gpus won't help. Only on SMP a2 instances. I should have been clearer.

HFM/tools/benchmarks will show the base value of the WU.

Putting the passkeys on gpus won't help. Only on SMP a2 instances. I should have been clearer.

Actually I was almost sure that I had read that 10 SMP2 WU's under the passkey would qualify for the bonus as well. This post confirms it, where he explains the requirements. 10 A2 or A3 WU's under the passkey will qualify for the bonus, unless I missed an update and something changed.

Edit: Point #2 in that post that I linked says >=10 a2 or SMP2 WU's with their passkey.

Actually I was almost sure that I had read that 10 SMP2 WU's under the passkey would qualify for the bonus as well. This post confirms it, where he explains the requirements. 10 A2 or A3 WU's under the passkey will qualify for the bonus, unless I missed an update and something changed.

Edit: Point #2 in that post that I linked says >=10 a2 or SMP2 WU's with their passkey.

how do you find the history of what you have done?

i want to know what I've done with my passkey.

I have like 10-15 wu's under my passkey and it's only been 2 days I believe.

Wow Nix rig just took on an A3 I don't think its even going to make deadline. Furthermore with a 2day deadline an smp WU only worth 470 taking 48m per frame!!! WTH stanford!!! I can get better points running uniproc.

I'm gonna try to fold this WU and see what I get out of it but so far I have to say is lame.

If you look at the actual Stanford page, click Stats at the top, and search your name, it has the most current work done, Points and WU's you can even print a certificate out and post it on your fridge! LOL! EOC catches up shortly after... I have 219K points now, and EOC is only seeing 158K untill the next refresh... i love Bigadv!

Last edited:

There really isn't a way that I know of to find exactly what you have folded under the passkey. Out of 10-15 WU's under the passkey, there could only be 3 or even less that are going to qualify you for the bonus. When I last checked HFM, there were 5 A3 WU's that were completed, which makes my known total 5, because I got the passkey a couple of hours before I updated the client. I also had a bit of time left of an A1 WU, and another regular SMP unit right after that.

I've been running a passkey on my VM A2 WUs for months.

1. Would that qualify me for A3 bonus points if I switch to the win_smp now?

2. Also for a Q6600 would the -smp 4 flag have any advantage over just -smp?

3. As for the win7 login password, I have one set, but the system is set to automatically log me in when I reboot. Does that count?

Last edited:
I've been running a passkey on my VM A2 WUs for months.

1. Would that qualify me for A3 bonus points if I switch to the win_smp now?

2. Also for a Q6600 would the -smp 4 flag have any advantage over just -smp?

3. As for the win7 login password, I have one set, but the system is set to automatically log me in when I reboot. Does that count?

1. From what I have gathered, you only need to have folded 10 A2 or A3 (SMP2) WU's with a passkey to qualify for the bonus.

2. I have also read that -smp is the only flag that you need, and -smp 4 may cause more problems than help.

3. I have my rig set to auto logon, and as far as I can tell, it is running without any issues. I am running Windows 7 Pro x64.

I hope this helps.:beer:

Thanx ds.

I've got my venerable VMP 4 core VM on -oneunit and I'll give the new win_smp client a whirl tomorrow.

BTW I just don't like the HFM ppd calculations on my GPU clients. It can't seem to recognize the GPU client on my main rig since it started a new FAH log after I restarted it after my Tuesday windows updates. It gets the % but it can't seem to calculate the PPD or recognize the client type after several frames. It's set for a 3 frame average calculation. I've set the refresh to 1 minute, but still no joy :(

The post you reference is a clairifiaction of an earlier one. Taken togehter they state: don't configure to run a3 WUs until you have the required 10 units returned under the passkey on a2 WUs, due to dismal ppd on non bonus a3s, putting the passkey on the gpu clients or a1 clients wouldn't help.

You'll get 19,200 points on the 10 qualifyling A2 WUs and about 4700 on the a3s in the same time period.

Thanx ds.

I've got my venerable VMP 4 core VM on -oneunit and I'll give the new win_smp client a whirl tomorrow.

BTW I just don't like the HFM ppd calculations on my GPU clients. It can't seem to recognize the GPU client on my main rig since it started a new FAH log after I restarted it after my Tuesday windows updates. It gets the % but it can't seem to calculate the PPD or recognize the client type after several frames. It's set for a 3 frame average calculation. I've set the refresh to 1 minute, but still no joy :(

You'll be pleased with the overall performance and much lower memory use. Higher end nVidia and all ATi cards have a significant impact on SMP2 production especially on Vista and Win 7. The effect varies depending on the WUs on the gpu.

Are you updated to the latest HFM version? Harlam has been working on fixing what you describe on the SMP client. I have experienced the false hang on the gpu client and it fixes it's self on the next WU or on a client restart. It may be caused by cosmetic errors in the log preventing proper parsing. HFM is so superior to FAHmon, that I'm willing to put up with that small inconvenience until Harlam gets it fixed.

You shouldn't expect more ppd unless by some miracle your dual core is faster than a q6600 at stock.
A E6600 @ 2.6 makes on average about 1300 ppd on the Win SMP2 client, 1080 ppd on the Linux SMP2 (18:56/frame on p6012) client in a VM and 1700 ppd on the SMP client on a2 WUs. I'm speaking in average terms because WUs on the GPU affect performance. If we take my Linux numbers and scale up from my 2.6 to your 4.0 GHz, your frame times would around 12:20 and your ppd about 2000, which I suspect is less than you made on a2 WUs by a good bit.
That's to be expected.

Back