• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sneak Peek - Beast III

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Progress is happening! Need my barbs from Eddy_EK before I can plumb this sucker, but this is how the pumps are to be mounted (tentatively). Oh, and you can see I bored out the Alphacool top inlet to 1/2".

inletsingle.jpg

With stock top:

compare.jpg

Pumps:

caseinstall4.jpg

caseinstall3.jpg

caseinstall2.jpg

caseinstall.jpg

Good stuff Nik :) I see you have your pumps mounted in the 3.5 inch drive cage. Where are you planning on mounting your drives?

Deathknight said:
Good stuff Nik :) I see you have your pumps mounted in the 3.5 inch drive cage. Where are you planning on mounting your drives?
In the cage with them! Have 3 slots left which is kind of a problem being that I have 4 HD's in my machine.

It looks like you are going to run those bad boys in series. Are you using a dual card config?

The more I see the green the more I like it. Good choice Nik.

ShoNuff said:
It looks like you are going to run those bad boys in series. Are you using a dual card config?

The more I see the green the more I like it. Good choice Nik.
No dual card yet :D Yes in series for sure. The green is not so neon in person... I swear!

Only two pumps? I imagine you'll be dissatisfied and add another at some point.

ThermoChill HE/PA120.3s are ~$120 US. ThermoChill's official distributor list doesn't actually list any Canadian retailers that stock them, but Jab-Tech (jab-tech.com) will ship to Canada. Jab-Tech says that it's unlikely you'll have to pay duties for airmail, but you'll likely pay duty for UPS shipments.

The extra cost of ThermoChill rads is something that typically only Mountain Mods case owners would probably justify, as they're the only 360mmx120mm that will fit in a U2-UFO without modification.

phide said:
Only two pumps? I imagine you'll be dissatisfied and add another at some point.

ThermoChill HE/PA120.3s are ~$120 US. ThermoChill's official distributor list doesn't actually list any Canadian retailers that stock them, but Jab-Tech (jab-tech.com) will ship to Canada. Jab-Tech says that it's unlikely you'll have to pay duties for airmail, but you'll likely pay duty for UPS shipments.

The extra cost of ThermoChill rads is something that typically only Mountain Mods case owners would probably justify, as they're the only 360mmx120mm that will fit in a U2-UFO without modification.

i usually mount my rads externally, alot better temps that way.

NODES said:
i usually mount my rads externally, alot better temps that way.
Care to elaborate on that? Yes externally it won't be subjected to inner case temps, but where inner case temps are the same as ambient... plus, if the rad is drawing air from OUTSIDE the case I don't see it making one bit of difference.

nikhsub1 said:
Care to elaborate on that? Yes externally it won't be subjected to inner case temps, but where inner case temps are the same as ambient... plus, if the rad is drawing air from OUTSIDE the case I don't see it making one bit of difference.

ive had the rad mouned inside my case for my first revision. But then i had to mount my psu externally, so i ponder for a bit and decided to put the psu inside case and the rad on the outside, just by getting it out of the case, ive dropped my temps by 3-5c.

Tonite i will start a thread on my rig.

I've also used both configurations now, and I haven't noted any major differences between the two. I have the 120.3 sucking in air from the front of my UFO, and it appears to be nearly as cool as it was when it was mounted externally on my CoolerMaster Praetorian, despite having half the fans that were mounted previously. Tough to say, however, as it's gotten blistering hot over the past week in L.A., and my ambient's all over the damn place.

This heat wave really snuck up on us this time.

Nik, being the resourceful guy that you are have you heard anything about the dual DDC top by Watercool pictured below? While it does not have the top intake which we have seen improves the overall performance of the pump, I wonder how well this top works.

I'm trying to get my hands on one to test. Unfortunately Watercool does not ship to the US. :(

Linky

watercooltop2.jpg
watercooltop1.jpg

edit: added pics

Last edited:
the inlets are still at right angles on thoes though...

looks pretty cool nonetheless

and that plate on top also looks like its aluminum :(

No aluminum (thank God!)

Check out the translated description:

With the dual DDC Case receives the power user the maximally possible performance. The already very good power ratings of the Laing DDC pump are doubled thereby nearly. For this two pumps are serially interconnected. By the increased pumping performance it is possible to improve the efficiency of the entire cooling system. Apart from the possibility of connecting two pumps dual DDC Case offers also G ¼ threads for the assembly of conventional connection systems. The housing consists of poured acrylic glass as well as a cover plate of high-grade steel.

I would really like to see some performance numbers with this top.

Yes I do like that top but I know nothing of it's performance... plus that limits in the way the pumps can be mounted...

Yea that top is nice and it would surely be convenient for some, but I think the way yours are mounted is the best way to go, considering the real-estate options at hand.

citronym said:
Yea that top is nice and it would surely be convenient for some, but I think the way yours are mounted is the best way to go, considering the real-estate options at hand.
Real-estate options? You mean the GIGANTIC cube case he has that will probably have no problems with having everything mounted inside of it?

Back