• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So how am I doing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Illah

I got my water up and I wanna know if I should be doing better or not. Here's what I got:

XP-1600 @ 1886 MHz w/ 1.8v

CPUFX Z4 revised CPU block
---in series with---
CPUFX GF3 block

All on a 3'8" bong. The waterhead is now particlizing the water pretty good (blocked off some holes). It falls about 12-18" before it hits the sides of the bong and coasts down to the bottom. When it hits the sides it covers the entire sides of bong, lots of surface area.

I currently have a ~35 CFM fan on there.

I run SETI so my temps are 32-33C when I'm not doing anything and 33-34C when I'm using the machine. My guess for the ~1C rise is that once I get on the machine the video card has do do something, when I'm off it the monitor shuts off and it's basically idle. My MSI 'chassis' temp is 36C - obviously wrong, but at least I'm under it.

I'm thinking of rheostating a Delta 92mm to get more air in there without blasting a mist out the top of the sucker.

Here's some bad pics, my digi-cam is a DV-cam, so it's made for video, not stills.

insidered.jpg

waterbong.jpg

--Illah

almost 1900 MHz. sounds good to me! How 'bout we race CPUs when I get mine unlocked?

Heh, but I had this speed on air! I guess I gotta realize that I had near perfect air cooling if I do say so myself :) Besides when the SLK-800 came out I was top notch, down to 35C load on a cool day, average 36C.

But even though I only dropped like 2-3C I now have a soothing rain-on-the-windowsill noise and no more blasting. I just wanna know if these temps are decent for water. I was hoping for the high 20's, but I guess that may have been wishful thinking.

--Illah

Very nice! Love that acrylic.

By the way, is it chilly enough there for that furnace duct to be blowing warm air on the bong? Might explain your temp if so, but I don't think that temp is all that bad really.
You might want to check your water temperature too, how far below ambient (if at all) are you? Did you use Arctic Silver? (set time=40-70 hours).

Give it a little time to settle in, then see....it's a beauty though.

That heater is never on, I'm not that dense :) I hate gas heaters anyway.

And the AS3 should be settled by now, it's been a few days.

Maybe over time the whole res heats up? If I get time I'll hook a 7v low CFM fan in there just to get the res evaporated a bit and see if that keeps things cooler.

--Illah

nice illah. clean looking lines and very attractive bong! your temps seem acceptable to me. it is possible that the large res allows the water to reach room temp again, a fan on the res may be a very good idea. one thing to note, even if your air cooling allowed for similar temps, with water your temps will be much more steady. less difference between load and idle. usually allowing for a bit more o/c and definately alot less noise.

nice work!!!

Yeah, a 7v of one of my 35 CFM 80mm is really silent, like super silent. It's pretty much silent at 12v, so that little bit will probably keep the res down a degree or two.

I should note the bong part and res part are not connected except by two 1/16" holes I drilled out at the bottom of the bong. This allows the res water to seep in as the bong water evaporates, and allows for almost no 'mixing'.

But none the less if the res is several degrees higher than the bong water (very likely) it may have a chance to heat it up a bit on it's way back into the system.

I'll give it a shot.

As for the lower heatercore temps, you're at 166x10.5, I'm at 164x11.5, I got a 140+ MHz on you. Plus the maze3 is generally considered a better block than my Z4. None the less, you must have a good setup! What temps do you get?

--Illah

dude, that looks really really nice!!! do you have any extra acrylic left?
the temps do seem slightly higher than normal, it could be a mounting issue, i dont know if yoru temps are actually that bad, 34c is pretty good, check your water temp if possible, and are the readings on die?

Yeah, I got like 2'6"-3' left, something like that. I'm pretty sure it's not a mounting issue, but I did get a little lazy while lapping the block. My hands were raw and I sorta just gave up after a while. It was pretty much flat to begin with though, so that may or may not be an issue.

And I ended up building that fan controller you pointed me towards, mask. I put the Delta 92mm on the bong and the 80mm in the res itself, set em on low, and now it's doing 32-33 even when I'm using the thing, I'd assume my idled-out GPU temps to be like 31-32.

But that WAS after running the bong fanless for hours (I did all those mods with the comp still on), so everything could have been heated up a tad. Now the bong is running with those fans from a cold start, we'll see in an hour where it's at.

--Illah

UPDATE

It's running 31 with touches to 32 now after an hour of SETI! I guess the fans from a cold start are maintaining! We'll see how it goes after several hours of SETI (and the afternoon sun hitting my apartment).

--Illah

Nice work.

I'd watch that CPU-to-GPU hose. It might develop a kink, but I can't see the extent of it's bend from that pic. But, other than that, it looks great.

My apartment is demolished, hence the lack of pics :) I gotta clean today anyway, when I get done I'll post more pics.

--Illah

Very nice job man! If you could get some more pictures that'd be awesome.

Also, decent overclock with those temps. :)

Back