• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sony to lower price of the PSIII by $100! (April or May at the latest)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Something's not right there Tommy. If the bank told you that then they're BSing you. Also, no credit is nearly as crappy as bad credit. When you have no credit you have to start out with secured credit cards or crappy department store credit cards with high interest rates. It's always been that way but doubly so since the bank failures started.

yep banks are being stingy stingy right now. I'm not even going to try to refi my house.. I'm just gonna sell it and hold on to my money with both hands.. LOL...
Back on topic tho... So you didn't get the PS3 ??? Are you still looking though? I still want one with BC because of the 100 games I own.. omg I do have that many... flipping thru the case ... My fat PS2 is finally dieing... that laser can only be cleaned soooo many times :(

Damn, I wish Sony would hurry up... I'm finishing up a home theatre that i've been working on for over 3 years and all I need left is the High Def Blue Ray player which I can use the PS3 for... so I would like to have it soon so I can test out how everything looks on a 106" screen. :)

be sure your receiver can input 7.1 LPCM through HDMI 1.3a. If not, PS3 for bluray is not a good buy, lose out on the losless sound.

bluray is a must for 1080p projector on 80"+ screen.

Something's not right there Tommy. If the bank told you that then they're BSing you. Also, no credit is nearly as crappy as bad credit. When you have no credit you have to start out with secured credit cards or crappy department store credit cards with high interest rates. It's always been that way but doubly so since the bank failures started.

Actually when you are in the middle of refinancing for a mortgage, it is standard procedure to "lock" your credit accounts from obtaining additional credit. Basically, there are people that know how to work the system and start applying for a ton of additional credit during the middle of a refinance so they put a stop to that a few years back.

yep banks are being stingy stingy right now. I'm not even going to try to refi my house.. I'm just gonna sell it and hold on to my money with both hands.. LOL...
Back on topic tho... So you didn't get the PS3 ??? Are you still looking though? I still want one with BC because of the 100 games I own.. omg I do have that many... flipping thru the case ... My fat PS2 is finally dieing... that laser can only be cleaned soooo many times :(

REFINANCE NOW!!!! The rates are the lowest in 60 years!! You will never ever get a better deal. I am refinancing with Wachovia (soon to be "Wells Fargo", and they are giving me a rate in the low 4% range for 30 years FIXED with all the closing costs paid for. At that rate, I would be stupid to ever sell this house.

be sure your receiver can input 7.1 LPCM through HDMI 1.3a. If not, PS3 for bluray is not a good buy, lose out on the losless sound.

bluray is a must for 1080p projector on 80"+ screen.

I have the brand new for 2009, Onkyo TX-NR906... http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=TX-NR906&class=Receiver&p=i

It is thier latest and best reciever and it frikken ROCKS!! (I called thier service department to ask them why the the normal AV receiver is better then the Pre/Pro version and Integra version and they told me that they made the TX-NR906 thier flagship version for now.) The only "issue" which is really a non-issue is that the LPCM stream going into the Onkyo will not light up the DTS or True HD lights but it will still work just as good, even though the Sony PS3 is doing all the decoding work. I spent a month on the AVS forums and with Onkyo on the phone confirming this.

You're not kidding on the interest rate. I'm at 3.5%/40yr fixed

Also, it's weird that your Dolby Digital and DTS lights don't light up on your stereo. Granted I'm using optical Toslink connection and my system is only 5.1 but when a movie is in DTS or Dolby Digital, the receiver does indictate it with the proper lights. I have a Kenwood.

You're not kidding on the interest rate. I'm at 3.5%/40yr fixed

Also, it's weird that your Dolby Digital and DTS lights don't light up on your stereo. Granted I'm using optical Toslink connection and my system is only 5.1 but when a movie is in DTS or Dolby Digital, the receiver does indictate it with the proper lights. I have a Kenwood.

I've been hanging out over at the AV Science forums for the past few months... OMG do I feel like a noob there but I'm learning fast. These guys know thier stereo systems and theatre equipment like we know computers and F@H!! LOL There are about 20 people from this site that are over there too.

Anyway, from what they were saying, (both Onkyo and Pioneer confirmed this with me over the phone.) If your stereo has the ability to do HDMI, you are better off using HDMI instead of the fiber. Apparently the fiber limits you to certain types of formats and won't do the newest things like DTS-MA and certain THX II type stuff. (The 'CODECS' the fiber systems use don't get updated like the HDMI and now they are hurting when it comes to audio.) Things like the PS3 and other newer cable boxes and Blue Ray (BD) players are capable of so much more through HDMI but get limited when using fiber. However, if you have an older 5.1 receiver without HDMI like I do upstairs in my house, fiber is the way to go because it's better then basic RCA cables.

According to both Sony and Onkyo, the PS3 is taking the DTS signal and proscessing it directly inside the PS3 and then pumping out a multi-channel LPCM signal to the processor. The Onkyo receiver can see the multi-channel signal but doesn't know the source, so it does the same thing with the audio as if it processed the signal, but never lights up the True HD or DTS lights.

Having the PS3 process the signal is completely fine. However, some people dont understand how that works and think if thier DTS is not lighting up, that thier stereo isnt working correctly!? So they go out and buy a super expensive Blue Ray player that will let them pump out an unprocessed bitstream audio signal just so thier receiver can process it instead and thier DTS or True HD light will light up. According to Sony and Onkyo (and the people at AVS Forums) there is no difference what piece of equipment processes that signal as long as you are using HDMI cables to connect the two devices if your trying to play DTS-MA or THX II formats.

OK I'll stop now... They keep filling my head with all this crazy stereo info. LOL I feel like I did with computers when I first came here 8 years ago.

Sorry off topic.

Damn.... low intrest rates there guys thought it was still in the 5% range. I'd take a look around though since at least by me even if 1 place had lower interest rates some how the monthly price was more than a different place that a higher interest rate. Just something I went through and saw when I got my place... though hoping rates fall more then I'd really consider a refinance.

Anyways... on topic
Is there any word still on the price drop on the PS3? I have a friend that wants to get one but hes trying to hold out til the price drop.

onkyo 906, you will be fine.

the reason I mentioned why the PS3 will not be a good buy as a bluray player if you have a receiver that cannot receive 7.1 LPCM over HDMI 1.3 is because other bluray player has multichannel analog out. So you can have the player decode the sound and pass it to your multi channel analog input on your older receiver.

The PS3 cannot pass new audio codec in bitstream mode so it will decode it and pass it to your receiver only through HMDI.

Anyway, if any of you guys need more info, I strongly recommend AVSforum.

ps. wireless HDMI is the way to go soon.... I am tired of running cable... :)

I hope that 3D upgrade is a software/firmware update and works on my 40GB PS3 I got awhile back at WalMart for $250.

Sorry off topic.

Damn.... low intrest rates there guys thought it was still in the 5% range. I'd take a look around though since at least by me even if 1 place had lower interest rates some how the monthly price was more than a different place that a higher interest rate. Just something I went through and saw when I got my place... though hoping rates fall more then I'd really consider a refinance.

Rates are fallen to thier lowest levels ever right now... They are at 5.03% fixed for 30 years.

Anyways... on topic
Is there any word still on the price drop on the PS3? I have a friend that wants to get one but hes trying to hold out til the price drop.

They will most likely drop it in early June or as early as May. There are rumors about it dropping any day now but so far no announcements that Ihave heard about. Keep in mind there is a deal where you sign up for a 0% interest cedit card through Sony and instantly get $100 off. (Not to mention if you spend up to another $3,000 in 6 months at any store of your choice), you get another $200 off!!!! Just pay the card off and you get $100 off right now. Cool huh? (I am building a bar in may basement and plan on spending $3,000 anyway so I'm going for the full $300 back in 6 months.)

Yeah, that's prob the difference then, the fact that I don't have HDMI on either the TV or the stereo and am instead using the optical TosLink

The fiber link you are using is definately the way to go. As I said, I use it myself on my older Harmon Kardon 5.1 receiver because it's the best thing to use. Once you have something with HDMI though, definately use that instead.

onkyo 906, you will be fine.

Anyway, if any of you guys need more info, I strongly recommend AVSforum.

ps. wireless HDMI is the way to go soon.... I am tired of running cable... :)

Yeah I recommend AVS forums as well. I am now hooked and go there just as much as I do here. It's not as organized as we ae here but it's close. It feels like OC Forums circa 2002.

OK I spent the last few hours over at the Fatwallet forums... It seems some people over there are REALLY good at reading the fine print!! Looking over the terms, there is nowhere that says you MUST buy from the Sony store? Some people didn't even buy a PS3 at all and just bought anything over $299.

Many people were buying the PS3 through Dell for $319 and then Sony would still credit them for an additional $100 reducing the price further to $219.

(Then you are still eligible to get the next (2) $100 credits if you spend $3,000 in the first 6 months.) So that lowers the PS3 price to just $19!!!!!

My problem now is that deal over at Dell has expired? Does anyone have another coupon for the 20% off a PS3?? Pleeeeeeease...

I just got off the phone with a supervisor at Sony's credit card division. They reluctantly confirmed everything you guys (at the Fatwallet forums) were saying here. Here is a link to the credit card deal but there are many others that are exactly the same. >>
http://www.us.playstation.com/PSN/E...&FTTR=80GBPS3System_PSCC_bottomright_event351

1. To be eligible, you must sign up for the card by March 31, 2009. (There is an error on the website that says March 31, 2008) You can probably find the exact same deal after that date... Sony has been running this promotion or something very sinilar for over a year now.

2. You must be approved by April 15th, 2009 and puchase something by May 15th, 2009 at the very latest. (Otherwise you have 45 days from the moment you applied/approved for the card.)

3. The initial $100 credit is good for any TOTAL purchase of $299 or more, ANYWHERE! If you look at the terms, it says, " PlayStation® Card is issued by Chase Bank USA, NA, and is subject to credit approval. Your purchase of a PlayStation 3 at SonyRewards.com, SonyStyle.com, includes Sony Style stores or any products or services totaling $299 or more (“Qualifying Purchase”) within the first 45 days your account is open will qualify you for the first $100 statement credit.

4. The other (2) $100 credits are in ADDITION to your initial PS3 charge. (According to Sony at least) You get a $100 credit for spending an additional $1,500 within 3 months and a final additional $100 credit for spending another $1,500, ($3,000 total) within 6 months. So basically, to get the full deal, you gotta spend $3,299.00 The initial purchase does NOT count towards the $3,000!! (according to Sony)

5. The card has 0% interest on new purchases only for 12 months.

6. You also get "Sony Style" points in which you can buy additional things because you used the Sony Card which you redeem at the Sony Style store. If you buy from the Sony online store you get 5 points for every $ dollar spent. (But they are not the best deal out there really...) So anywhere else, you get 1 point for every $ spent. A PS3 bluetooth Blue Ray remote control is 2,500 points and if you went crazy and bought way over what the deal needed, a 2nd dual shock controller is 5,000 points.

7. Dell just had a %20 off sale to buy a 80GB PS3 for a total of $319.99 with free shipping!! But I just missed it! Arrrgh. However, I expect some deal somewhere for the PS3 again from Dell hopefully. If you get a new code discount code, please post it here. The store Target has the next closest deal of 80GB PS3 package with a free extra dual shock controller ($50 value), and the older games ($30 value) Motorstorm and Resistance: Fall of man for $399.00

Good luck everyone.

This "deal" really is not one if you carry the balance for any time. Chase will make that back ten fold in interest alone.

You got 12 months with 0% interest to pay it back. Then it shoots up to some rediculous 10.9% rate. As long as you pay it back within that time, you don't have to pay a single dime in interest. =)

Really, the only reason I am doing this is because you need the card in order to get the deal. Otherwise, I don't mess with credit cards and I don't buy things, (except my house) unless I have the money already.

Now if only I could find another Dell code to get a PS3 for $319.99????

UPDATE:

Well I pulled it off!! WOOT! I grabbed that code from Dell, it hasn't expired yet but so many people used it that it reached the maximum amount of participants. You guys are gonna love this... I called Dell up over the phone and told em' that I had the code and wanted to use it. After telling the guy on the phone for 5 minutes that I received it a while back through Dell's usual weekly e-mail to me and it worked!

They agreed to give me the Playstation for $320 plus $20 tax so I bought one using my Playstation card for a total of $340 shipping and everything. I'm currently trying to find out if Dell is a registered Sony Dealer, (I don't see why not,) because you get 3 points at Sony for every $1.

Immediately after, I had another coupon for 20% off any computer at the Dell Outlet. I bought 2 PCs, one for my Grandpa and the other for my neighbor. Cost me $780 with taxes and everything so that went on the Playstation card and I'm half way there the very first day to getting my full $300 credit from Sony!! WOOT!!

So when this deal is finalized, I will be getting a PS3 for just $20!!!

Note: Dell has a amazing deal with tha 20% off. Using the coupon I bought Inspiron 518 with a 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB of 800MHz Ram, 500GB 7,200rpm Hard Drive, Vista Premium 64-bit, built in Wi-Fi G card, and a ton of other freebies for just $320!!

got a coupon for peripherals?

I only sign up for the Dell Outlet stuff. If you want, just go to thier website and click on GET DELL E-MAIL. Here is a link: http://app.subscription.dell.com/prefcenter/signup.cfm?t=DHSEmailTab&~ck=mn

Now here is the important part... Once you sign up for the general everyday e-mail and have a log-in ID, go back to that page and then look at the very bottom and you'll see:

ALREADY SUBSCRIBED?
Enter your E-Mail address to cancel or edit your subscription.

Then THAT will take you to the page you really need to go to. It has a huge list of every type of thing that they send out discount coupons for and you can click "on" or "off". Then you start getting them every 3 or so. It's a pain in the arse I know, but I've gotten some amazing deals that way.

nice..hopefully i can get a 20% off coupon some how in time for tomorrow if not i might just go buy a ps3 cause i really want one for couple of games lol

Back