• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stock 6700k hitting 94 Degrees on Prime95

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My Maximum temperature at 4.2GHz is 70c running Prime95 version 28.10 and I have the same Hyper 212 cooler. So you definitely have a problem, I would agree RMA the CPU heatsink fan.

If it is version 28.xx 84 on blend is about you can expect. Try running Aida stress test instead and see where your temps are. Your cpu should be totally fine. If you're having trouble with your cooler then who knows maybe that is why it's getting so hot. I mean if where ever you got the cpu is willing to just give you another then i guess it won't hurt but it will throttle and shut down before any real damage will occur due to heat. With an air cooler you might be better off making sure it is an older version of p95 like 26.6 if you're going to stress with it. And usually the fft test is to test your thermals anyway. Blend is better for stability.

I just ran Aida's stability test and my temps didn't go over 81 degrees, and had an average temp of 63 degrees:

AIDA64 Stability Test.jpg

So I guess with a new heatsink and possibly a new processor with properly applied thermal paste, I should hopefully be ok now that my voltage is running correctly.

My Maximum temperature at 4.2GHz is 70c running Prime95 version 28.10 and I have the same Hyper 212 cooler. So you definitely have a problem, I would agree RMA the CPU heatsink fan.

Yeah, I'll definitely be doing that.

Btw, I noticed that on all these stress tests that the max cpu speed was 4.0ghz. I understand that intel turbo boost only boosts to 4.2 during lower stress situations and doesn't boost to 4.2 on all cores at once, but would this be considered running at 4.2ghz or 4.0 ghz when talking about overclocking? For example, if I was to OC to 4.2ghz base clock speed, what would happen to turbo boost? Would it not do anything? Would that be considered running at 4.2ghz? This is one area of overclocking that I don't quite understand. I don't want to change the topic of the thread however, so just some quick answers or a couple links would be helpful.

When I did the test for temperature I was overclocked to 4.2GHz with stock default voltage. When folks overclock Intel it is the Turbo that is overclocked as far as design. All you need to do to overclock to 4.2GHz is just change the CPU multiplier.

The 6700k has a turbo of 4.2 out of the box. I hit a max of 81c on p95 28.10 at 4.5 Ghz 1.312v with an h100i. But earlier versions, Aida, Realbench etc. 71-72c max. And it's every so often that it hits the max temp, my average was mid 60's on all but the new p95, mid 70's on that. But ya stock with aida in the 80's, raises alarm. All you have to do for your cpu to run 4.2 at all times is change your Windows power plan to High Performance.

When I did the test for temperature I was overclocked to 4.2GHz with stock default voltage. When folks overclock Intel it is the Turbo that is overclocked as far as design. All you need to do to overclock to 4.2GHz is just change the CPU multiplier.

That's good to know, I didn't know it was that easy to go to 4.2GHz. I'll definitely be doing that as soon as I get this issue dealt with.

The 6700k has a turbo of 4.2 out of the box. I hit a max of 81c on p95 28.10 at 4.5 Ghz 1.312v with an h100i. But earlier versions, Aida, Realbench etc. 71-72c max. And it's every so often that it hits the max temp, my average was mid 60's on all but the new p95, mid 70's on that. But ya stock with aida in the 80's, raises alarm. All you have to do for your cpu to run 4.2 at all times is change your Windows power plan to High Performance.

When you don't overclock the Turbo only goes to 4.2GHz with i7 6700k on a single core. http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000005523.html

Turbo 4.2GHz.jpg

Idk what that is that you posted or why it says it but it's a 4 ghz base 4.2 turbo. I just went into bios and loaded optimized defaults put power plan to high performance and it's at 4.2 all cores. That same link says your cpu has a max turbo of 3.9 on one core as well. Go into bios right now load defaults power plan H.P. I promise you will be running 3.9 all cores.
Screenshot (58).png

Go into bios right now load defaults power plan H.P.
I don't have that option, that is overclocking from the motherboard Vendor.

I have overclocking presets like 4.2-4.6GHz.

Windows bud. I'm not gonna lie to you Wingman. Windows power plan. Windows as far back as at least 7 has this. Balanced, Power Saver and High Performance are stock power plans. This is how I have my cpu running at 4.5 Ghz all the time.
Screenshot (61).png

I don't have that option, that is overclocking from the motherboard Vendor.

I have overclocking presets like 4.2-4.6GHz.

Windows bud. I'm not gonna lie to you Wingman. Windows power plan. Windows as far back as at least 7 has this. Balanced, Power Saver and High Performance are stock power plans. This is how I have my cpu running at 4.5 Ghz all the time.
Guys, on some boards, vendors are taking the liberty to take the max single core boost clock and applying it to all cores as default. This is not new... nor on every board either. Asus boards have a 'multi core enhancement' function that can disable that 'optimization'. Not sure on other boards...

Switching the power plan in windows only makes it run at that whatever speed you set and not clock down to save power.

Last edited:
Well my bad then. I've only had two PC's so it's just been my experience. We Overclock anyway so it meaningless.

That's how come I ain't turn out to be a Genius.

I wasn't trying to argue last night, I've only built myself two i7 pc's and I've built a few others for friends. Maybe you have to hit sync all cores after you load defaults idk. If that doesn't work I am flat out wrong about your motherboard. Period. Nothing else I can say. But that's why that 10 core xtreme we were helping that guy with ran at 4 Ghz on all cores without changing his multiplier. He hit sync all cores. But excuse me if i'm wrong and excuse if it seemed I was looking for an argument. All I was trying to do was tell VF-25 he can run at 4.2 without spending a bunch of time overclocking and that's where it ended up going. It's always worked for me. I only try and help people here, and try to expand my own knowledge. Being wrong about something is how I learn more. Have a good day today shall we.

Again.. motherboard specific as to if default is all core max turbo. :)

There is no need to apologize or grovel my man!!

Hey guys, sorry if I started a dispute. I set my windows power plan to performance and it runs all cores at 4.0Ghz at all times; however, I did NOT enable sync all cores after load optimized defaults. This is probably why it's running at 4.0 and not 4.2. Unfortunately I have the PC apart right now so I can't confirm this.

But anyway, I took off my heatsink (which looks like it was mounted fine, although the thermal compound was slightly uneven towards the top of the CPU because I used the spread method). I also removed the processor, which also looks fine, but I noticed that the socket might have a bent pin:

CPU Bent Pin.JPG

I'm thinking of taking back the mobo now as well just in case. I have a microcenter warranty on it, and I'm still within the 30 day free return policy, so if there is even a slight chance that this would cause a problem, I'm willing to go through the extra work to remove the mobo as well.

Ok, well I guess I was wrong then. I could see the difference in the reflection on the pin from way above the cpu and none of the other pins were giving off that gold reflection so I assumed that it must have been damaged in some way. Oh well, I've got the board out anyway. It had a few pretty bent caps for sure that I wasn't too worried about, but I guess this way I can at least get a new board with no bent caps.

I'll update when I have the rig back up and running.

Back